Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are club coaches taking their message too far on social media?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are club coaches taking their message too far on social media?

Lately, I have been feeling like the tweets, retweets, likes, favorites, etc. on social media by club coaches has been borderline bullying. Certainly inappropriate and unprofessional. I am wondering if I am alone in this thought. Do you let your children follow/be followed by their coaches?

I would have a problem with a grown man following my 10 12 14 16 year old daughter. I also have a problem if that grown man is a coach who has players following him and his profile picture is of him drinking a beer and smoking a cigar. Great role models. So look at the class level of these coaches before you even give a thought to the nonsense they post on the Internet. It is a reflection of the coach and the club. Unfortunately, it also becomes a reflection on the players associated with the club.

Comment

Care to elaborate on bullying? That term, unfortunately, is very subjective and means different things to different people.

If a coach has a social media account strictly for the purpose of communicating with team parents and players, I'm not sure how that's more than an efficient use of technology. If a coach is mixing his personal and professional lives through the content shared in public or private, then I'd say that's unprofessional at a minimum and potentially worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I would have a problem with a grown man following my 10 12 14 16 year old daughter. I also have a problem if that grown man is a coach who has players following him and his profile picture is of him drinking a beer and smoking a cigar. Great role models. So look at the class level of these coaches before you even give a thought to the nonsense they post on the Internet. It is a reflection of the coach and the club. Unfortunately, it also becomes a reflection on the players associated with the club.
        But he can follow your 7 9 11 13 15 year old daughter

Comment

Only appropriate way to use social media is if parents are allowed access as well. If it's all above-board the coach won't mind. If he pushes back then parents need to push back even harder.

Comment

What club are we talking about?

Comment

But he can follow your 7 9 11 13 15 year old daughter
              That's an odd response.

Comment

That's an odd response.
                Just trying to even up the score

Comment

That's an odd response.
                  yes, but even you must admit that's funny!

Comment

Only appropriate way to use social media is if parents are allowed access as well. If it's all above-board the coach won't mind. If he pushes back then parents need to push back even harder.
                    The coach should have a "coach" account. It should not be his personal acct.

Comment

Team manager on my kids team follows many of the players on the team. Very weird

Comment

I think that most of the coaches have a single account that is used for personal and professional. There are posts about their babies and their soccer teams. Some just post soccer stuff. It can be great to show your players good plays or interesting links in the world of soccer. The problem is that it can get out of hand. We teach our children to think before clicking. These coaches need the same lesson.

Just scrolled down through one coach's feed. Here are examples of posts/retweets that I find unprofessional:

"Great turnout from the 17 NPL Today. 19 of 21 in HS season. Shows they mean business. 18s - not so much. 2 players (jh&cd) Seriously?????"

- I find this unprofessional to call out players for missing practice. Were any of them sick? Have school committments? On a college visit? Seems like a bit much. Does a player have to worry that they are going to be called out on twitter each time they miss a practice? Attach initials to those that miss and we have some bullying on our hands.

"Made a big mistake going to a cheerleading competition today...Oh wait, it was actually a HS soccer game #pleasestopshoutingnonsense #killme"

- Okay, we get it. You don't like High School soccer. Why go to the game then? This is just a poor example to his players who are or aren't playing High School soccer.

"3 games vs Elite competition at a great facility, or 4 awful games per week coached by your math teacher? Is that a real question? #NoMoreHS"

- Again, we get it. But I would like to thank that math teacher who is making next to nothing and takes the time away from his family to coach a sport. And I would also like to say that math teacher has a day job that is much more admirable than this soccer coach. Why is this necessary?

Comment

There are an awful lot of bikini shots in my teenager's accounts. I am sure her soccer coach would love a peek at that. Gross.

Comment

The fact that this parent uses the bullying word proves that they are a nut job and is seeking problems. Obviously there is an agenda here.

Comment

I think that most of the coaches have a single account that is used for personal and professional. There are posts about their babies and their soccer teams. Some just post soccer stuff. It can be great to show your players good plays or interesting links in the world of soccer. The problem is that it can get out of hand. We teach our children to think before clicking. These coaches need the same lesson.

Just scrolled down through one coach's feed. Here are examples of posts/retweets that I find unprofessional:

"Great turnout from the 17 NPL Today. 19 of 21 in HS season. Shows they mean business. 18s - not so much. 2 players (jh&cd) Seriously?????"

- I find this unprofessional to call out players for missing practice. Were any of them sick? Have school committments? On a college visit? Seems like a bit much. Does a player have to worry that they are going to be called out on twitter each time they miss a practice? Attach initials to those that miss and we have some bullying on our hands.

"Made a big mistake going to a cheerleading competition today...Oh wait, it was actually a HS soccer game #pleasestopshoutingnonsense #killme"

- Okay, we get it. You don't like High School soccer. Why go to the game then? This is just a poor example to his players who are or aren't playing High School soccer.

"3 games vs Elite competition at a great facility, or 4 awful games per week coached by your math teacher? Is that a real question? #NoMoreHS"

- Again, we get it. But I would like to thank that math teacher who is making next to nothing and takes the time away from his family to coach a sport. And I would also like to say that math teacher has a day job that is much more admirable than this soccer coach. Why is this necessary?
                              FC Stars is bringing their crusade against High School soccer to social media. ating the high school players and praising the non high school players for training with the club this fall.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X