Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And there it is. Don't you folks realize, these refs just know better, no matter what.
    Did you write your letter, or just going to continue to bitch about it here? Step up and state your case to those who CAN make a difference.

Comment

It's just a supply and demand problem made worse by the fact that there's an additional fee and course to certify for fall HS matches and the certification course is just held once a year. Why can't any ref officiate HS level like you see in the spring? I know of people that would ref fall HS if it wasn't for this issue.

Nashua World Cup ref shortage (same story for Seacoast) is just a function of a large game volume spike in Southern NH that happens every Columbus Day weekend. Simply put, the refs in Southern NH can't handle it on their own. Add the MA Senior Ref Administrator tightening restrictions for refs crossing the border into other states (the old one did so in his final few months but he was promoted and a new SRA took his place) and this problem only complicates itself even more. There's a number of MA refs that sit idle on Columbus Day weekend just because the game volume goes into other states.

Comment

How about you take the test and see how easy the job is?
        And there I was laughing thinking you meant an eye sight test because half of them are blind. :)

Comment

So let's stop putting guys into matches they aren't capable of handling...just because they've been around a really, really, really long time.
          Yes, some of them have been around a really, really long time. Which leads me to my biggest complaint....some of them are very, very round!

Shouldn't there be some sort of physical fitness test that referees need to pass? I think this would help dramatically!!

Our school (Varsity Prep - A) had a match on Saturday. The very robust, ref could not move up and down the field. He couldn't possibly make the calls as he was always at least half a field down, and forget about making an offsides call. You can't see the line of defense if you aren't at the line of defense. And before you say this is sour grapes, we won....

Comment

Did you write your letter, or just going to continue to bitch about it here? Step up and state your case to those who CAN make a difference.
            So it's only either/or not both? Brilliant.

Comment

MIAA Funny

That group should be investigated!! Talk about the good old boy network. MIAA is a JOKE!! and I believe most people will agree on this. Keep raising the fees at tournament games to pad those extensive salaries!!

If you feel that there are "thin skinned", or unqualified officials working your child's games, then send a complaint to the MIAA. Include the game date, site, towns and be specific. Also include your level of experience, what courses you've taken and how many games you've officiated. I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

Comment

So it's only either/or not both? Brilliant.
                You can write a letter and still bitch and moan. Yes? But, you seem like the type that just likes to bitch. Must be fun being you.

Comment

You can write a letter and still bitch and moan. Yes? But, you seem like the type that just likes to bitch. Must be fun being you.
                  And your posts are different how?

Comment

And your posts are different how?
                    I'm not the one complaining. Same old, same old every year. It's not going to change. Get over it. Your kids life will not be affected by HS soccer. It seems to bother you though. Keep living the dream.

Comment

I'm not the one complaining. Same old, same old every year. It's not going to change. Get over it. Your kids life will not be affected by HS soccer. It seems to bother you though. Keep living the dream.
                      I think it's more than just high school soccer. Referees are getting paid very good money and when you have unfit and incompetent referees, it paints all of them with the same brush. Let me ask you this; out of all the soccer referees in MA, how many do you think are fit and competent enough to ref a decent level game? That's a serious question and not an insult. Also, if you were under-performing in your regular 9-5 job, don't you think your employer would say/do something about it?

Comment

I think it's more than just high school soccer. Referees are getting paid very good money and when you have unfit and incompetent referees, it paints all of them with the same brush. Let me ask you this; out of all the soccer referees in MA, how many do you think are fit and competent enough to ref a decent level game? That's a serious question and not an insult. Also, if you were under-performing in your regular 9-5 job, don't you think your employer would say/do something about it?
                        The bottom line is that there just are not enough "fit" bodies out here based on the workload. Even in a perfect world, placing the "best" officials in the majority of the higher level games, there still are not enough to go around. I've complained to our AD about the poor coaching choices and poor officials in the past. They don't care. Complaining about it here may help you feel better and get if off your chest, but it isn't going to change. I've had two kids play and one in the last season. The kids never complained so I've learned to accept it. The only way it will improve (somewhat) is to move to the 3 man system. That argument has also been discussed ad nauseam.

Comment

Not sure whether to be more surprised reading a post written by someone more cynical than I am or with so many assumptions about me and where I'm coming from on this issue.

The reality that too many referees being assigned varsity soccer matches aren't up to the task AND are taking that assignment from referees who are should bother every referee everywhere, any coach and any parent.

Comment

Good money

I have no idea what you consider good money but I would hardly call $75 or so good money....each game with warm-up, halftime is at least two hours 15 min. Add in the hour commuting time (30 min each way), gas, taxes etc...and we are no longer talking good money, jmo at 20 bucks per hour before you take into account gas etc...

QUOTE=Unregistered;1392508]I think it's more than just high school soccer. Referees are getting paid very good money and when you have unfit and incompetent referees, it paints all of them with the same brush. Let me ask you this; out of all the soccer referees in MA, how many do you think are fit and competent enough to ref a decent level game? That's a serious question and not an insult. Also, if you were under-performing in your regular 9-5 job, don't you think your employer would say/do something about it?[/QUOTE]

Comment

It still remains a situation of supply and demand. The supply of "quality" referees (however you want to define that) does not meet the demand. Therefore, the quality of refereeing the game suffers. Do more to increase the pool and do more to increase the quality of the current pool.

Comment

It still remains a situation of supply and demand. The supply of "quality" referees (however you want to define that) does not meet the demand. Therefore, the quality of refereeing the game suffers. Do more to increase the pool and do more to increase the quality of the current pool.
                                How do you suggest they do more? Can't just snap your fingers and make it happen overnight.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X