Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Referees

Call me crazy, but every time I see a story in the news about a very, very elderly driver plowing their car into a storefront or someone's front lawn, I think officiating at a high school soccer match.

Would any of you support reforming the assignment process for varsity and sub-varsity matches?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Call me crazy, but every time I see a story in the news about a very, very elderly driver plowing their car into a storefront or someone's front lawn, I think officiating at a high school soccer match.

Would any of you support reforming the assignment process for varsity and sub-varsity matches?
    If you're going to post on something that's been beat to death every year, qualify it with your own suggestions on how and what should be done to improve the process.

Comment

If you're going to post on something that's been beat to death every year, qualify it with your own suggestions on how and what should be done to improve the process.
      OK, sure. If you're of an age that has you still gainfully employed, you get the varsity matches that kick-off after work. If you're retired, you get the sub-varsity matches that kick-off 3 hours earlier. The old boy (pun intended) network of seniority gets the higher paying gig (and don't confuse experience ability in this case) has got to go.

Comment

OK, sure. If you're of an age that has you still gainfully employed, you get the varsity matches that kick-off after work. If you're retired, you get the sub-varsity matches that kick-off 3 hours earlier. The old boy (pun intended) network of seniority gets the higher paying gig (and don't confuse experience ability in this case) has got to go.
        How about if you wear a diaper you can not referee

Comment

How about if you need more than one joint replacement you can't work?

Comment

How about if you need more than one joint replacement you can't work?
            How about you take the test and see how easy the job is?

Comment

How about you take the test and see how easy the job is?
              And there it is. The broad brush defense. It's offensive the the referees who do an excellent job but take a back seat to those with more seniority who are demonstrably incompetent. We're not talking about the subjectivity of a call or the inherent conflict between coach or referee where the coach thinks he knows but doesn't have the same viewpoint. We're talking about a person who is no longer up to the task. So this logical fallacy of "if you think it's so easy, you try it" can be put to rest. It's a red herring. It's just a bull**** distraction.

Be a referee apologist if you must, but it doesn't change the facts, and frankly it only strengthens the argument -- if it is SO tough (and I AGREE, it is!), then there isn't much margin of error for not putting the best referees in the best assignments to succeed and meet that difficult challenge.

So let's stop putting guys into matches they aren't capable of handling...just because they've been around a really, really, really long time.

Comment

Your point (without the insulting language) is valid. The best referees should get the top assignments first. However, I think there is an issue of supply and demand working too. It can be difficult to find referees for many matches just to begin with. How many league games do teams show up to and there are referees missing. I think quite a bit. Similar but different observations can be made for tournaments, e.g. Nashua World Cup. There may be the required number of referees there but because of the volume needed, some less than stellar referees are also doing games. Seems the solution is to create the environment where more people are encouraged to become referees. Then assignors can be become a bit more selective on assigning matches.

Comment

Fair enough, but you left out the majority of (varsity) games that kick off at 3:30/4:00. What should be done about those?

Comment

Fair enough, but you left out the majority of (varsity) games that kick off at 3:30/4:00. What should be done about those?
                    As a fan, I have become more concerned with the thin skin that many of these refs have adopted. I have been to 2 matches this fall where the refs have stopped play to move a disgruntled supporter of one team or the other. In neither case was invective or foul language used, though 1 ref claimed otherwise, and it was fairly benign in nature. They are well compensated for their time, certainly not for their ability, but some complaining goes along with the job. They need to stop acting like babies, which makes the earlier reference to adult diapers a bit more pertinent.
                    Any thoughts?

Comment

Your point (without the insulting language) is valid. The best referees should get the top assignments first. However, I think there is an issue of supply and demand working too. It can be difficult to find referees for many matches just to begin with.
                      Another red herring. Overstated. At a minimum, we're just talking about reshuffling the schedule. As it is, you have middle aged or younger refs running from their jobs to make their early games while gramps is napping his recliner preparing for the evening match.

Comment

As a fan, I have become more concerned with the thin skin that many of these refs have adopted. I have been to 2 matches this fall where the refs have stopped play to move a disgruntled supporter of one team or the other. In neither case was invective or foul language used, though 1 ref claimed otherwise, and it was fairly benign in nature. They are well compensated for their time, certainly not for their ability, but some complaining goes along with the job. They need to stop acting like babies, which makes the earlier reference to adult diapers a bit more pertinent.
                        Any thoughts?
                        If you feel that there are "thin skinned", or unqualified officials working your child's games, then send a complaint to the MIAA. Include the game date, site, towns and be specific. Also include your level of experience, what courses you've taken and how many games you've officiated. I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

Comment

Again, at a minimum, we're talking about reshuffling the existing assignments and pool. The supply and conflict excuse/justification is bogus. Is the argument that were these phantom conflicts not at issue, the old black hats wouldn't be getting the D1 7pm start and instead would be getting the 4 pm frosh match? Of course not.

Here's a suggestion, go ask the best referee you know under the age of 50 and ask them what they think.

Comment

If you feel that there are "thin skinned", or unqualified officials working your child's games, then send a complaint to the MIAA. Include the game date, site, towns and be specific. Also include your level of experience, what courses you've taken and how many games you've officiated. I'm sure they would love to hear from you.
                            And there it is. Don't you folks realize, these refs just know better, no matter what.

Comment

... There may be the required number of referees there but because of the volume needed, some less than stellar referees are also doing games. Seems the solution is to create the environment where more people are encouraged to become referees.

Then assignors can be become a bit more selective on assigning matches.
                              There is that environment. Every youth program it's feeding the pool. That pool of referees is always going to be short of excess supply of better. That's
                              an entirely separate point.

You're last sentence highlights the reality, whatever the supply is, and begs this question: why aren't doing that already? Simple answer, assignment is not strictly merit based...At least in terms of merit being defined by length of experience, not present abilities.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X