Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All good on paper, but in reality life is a bit messier. We had a kid who got pulled before the season. Don't know the full situation, but the player was devastated and you could tell the AD was crushed as well. I think it was academics.

Regardless, the point is that we live in a tough town - easy to get in trouble, lots of drugs, lots and lots of single parent families, lots of economic diversity (very wealthy to very poor).

Hoping not to sound too judgmental, but reality suggests this kid does not have a lot of options in life. He's not going to be an academic star, not going to be a soccer star, and not going to college. Does that mean he's doomed? No, but his road ahead is not as easy as some. Guess that's life.

However, at this stage would he be better off playing soccer and being part of a team for his HS years? YES

Is he at risk of falling into risky behavior now he's no longer part of a team? Unfortunately I think you could argue the answer is YES.

I'm not saying he should be able to play -- rules are rules and I get why they are there. I'm just suggesting your post is a bit more optimistic than the reality out there -- for some kids the only safety net they have is things like team and belonging to something.
    We had a similar situation two years back with a similar profile player - town maybe not quite as tough but the kid was making bad choices and the parents were completely uninvolved, self-absorbed and in denial. Coach tried like crazy to keep him on the team so he would have something structured in his life but the HS stuck to the rules. Yes I absolutely know academic rules are there for a very good reason. But it's hard to watch in situations like that because you know statistically the odds are not good for a kid like that.

Comment

We had a similar situation two years back with a similar profile player - town maybe not quite as tough but the kid was making bad choices and the parents were completely uninvolved, self-absorbed and in denial. Coach tried like crazy to keep him on the team so he would have something structured in his life but the HS stuck to the rules. Yes I absolutely know academic rules are there for a very good reason. But it's hard to watch in situations like that because you know statistically the odds are not good for a kid like that.
      Agreed. It's hard because there will always be abuses. That said, high school sports is saving grace for some kids.

Wish there was some sort of evaluation process for kids with academic issues effecting eligibility in high school. Kids who don't go to school or don't even pretend to try are one thing -- but "good kids" who struggle are left in cold sometimes. I know that's difficult/perhaps impossible to enact, but in a perfect world.......

I've always insisted that my kids be involved in "something" outside of school. For a host of reasons -- but primarily because busy kids do better than kids with too much time on their hands.

Comment

Our HS gives waivers to "at risk" kids at a much higher rate. Kids are only supposed to be able to get one waiver and no more but I know of 3 kids at our school that got three waivers each. These kids came from unstable homes, and the school got around the waiver rule by using the risk to behavior analysis you state.

Sorry, I don't agree with this approach. It promotes excuse making, which is the norm in today's society,

Comment

Our HS gives waivers to "at risk" kids at a much higher rate. Kids are only supposed to be able to get one waiver and no more but I know of 3 kids at our school that got three waivers each. These kids came from unstable homes, and the school got around the waiver rule by using the risk to behavior analysis you state.

Sorry, I don't agree with this approach. It promotes excuse making, which is the norm in today's society,
          Generally I agree with the excuse making issue. However, it's not like suggesting we give a waiver from jail time in the case of someone doing something wrong.

If a kid is lousy at school, in an unstable home, and "at risk" I'd much rather he or she be on a team and following the rules of that team than out the school door at 2:00 and hanging with other at risk kids.

Comment

I think you may have nailed it. There was allot of talk three years ago that Ludlow should have had kids suspended after the state semifinal. I remember some story where a ref assignor in WMass is somehow connected to the Ludlow program
            Soccer insider from Ludlow. That speaks to a lot of the crap that gets posted here on TS.

Comment

Soccer insider from Ludlow. That speaks to a lot of the crap that gets posted here on TS.
              If you are on the "inside", tell us the real story

Comment

Generally I agree with the excuse making issue. However, it's not like suggesting we give a waiver from jail time in the case of someone doing something wrong.

If a kid is lousy at school, in an unstable home, and "at risk" I'd much rather he or she be on a team and following the rules of that team than out the school door at 2:00 and hanging with other at risk kids.
                Don't give the waivers. To keep out of trouble, have the kid practice with the team, attend games as the manager, and get extra help. There are other options.

BTW, just because a kid comes from an "unstable family" or is "at risk" doesn't necessarily mean he or she should fail classes. There are plenty of kids from good and bad homes who both do well academically, and fail. The job of the school should be to concentrate on identifying WHY the kid can't pass the classes. Is it because of academic gaps, learning disabilities, or a lack of effort or supervision from home?

I am an educator, and I understand the value of participation in sports, but this crosses the line into excuse making and failure to address the academic concerns. Maybe if the kid does better in school, the self esteem will rise, and this will translate into better decision making. Instead, the message is sent that there are different rules for that kid and that the world owes him/her a pass.

Comment

The kid failed 3 of his 6 classes the previous year and didn't make them up in summer school. I find it hard to believe this could have gone unnoticed by the school.

source: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/high-...acate_aid34979

Comment

Don't give the waivers. To keep out of trouble, have the kid practice with the team, attend games as the manager, and get extra help. There are other options.

BTW, just because a kid comes from an "unstable family" or is "at risk" doesn't necessarily mean he or she should fail classes. There are plenty of kids from good and bad homes who both do well academically, and fail. The job of the school should be to concentrate on identifying WHY the kid can't pass the classes. Is it because of academic gaps, learning disabilities, or a lack of effort or supervision from home?

I am an educator, and I understand the value of participation in sports, but this crosses the line into excuse making and failure to address the academic concerns. Maybe if the kid does better in school, the self esteem will rise, and this will translate into better decision making. Instead, the message is sent that there are different rules for that kid and that the world owes him/her a pass.
                    Athletes are systematically put on a pedestal and given "passes" across the board in the United States. One need look no further than recent events in the NFL or the recent UNC scandal for concrete proof of same. The reports demonstrating widespread instances of college athletes reading at middle school levels are easy to find. http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/nca...eading-scores/

I'm not saying it's right -- it's actually an abomination.

My point is just that for the most part the success or failure of High School sports does little to improve the educational standard of the school as whole. Every one would like to have a winner but, unlike college sports, it's not like a state championship does anything to improve the education levels or ability to provide same in any given high school. In my opinion, sports should be viewed part of the overall educational experience -- same with any other extracurricular activity tied to the school.

I say that because there are some benefits to participating in high school sports that are inherently valuable in and of themselves -- even from an educational perspective. I'm a college graduate and can honestly say that I learned lessons from my high school coaches that compare with lessons learned in the classroom (HS or college) and continue to serve me well today.

Didn't get a college scholarship and Lord knows I never earned a penny from playing a game -- but I most certainly benefited tremendously from playing high school sports.

In a perfect world kids who struggle in school would have the safety nets you suggest -- both within the school and outside the school. However, I'd suggest that you and I both know that's often not the case.

I stand by my view that an "at risk" kid (however that risk manifests itself) is better off on a playing field -- if only to use it as an incentive to stay in school.

Give me a reason for a kid with troubles to stay in school for as long as possible and I'll snap your fingers off to take it. Doesn't matter whether that reason is a teacher that makes a special impact, a soccer team, a drama club, or any other extracurricular activity that encourages him or her to stick around.

Sorry in advance -- end of rant.

Comment

Kudos to the board to sticking to the rules. Like someone said how could that have gone unnoticed? At a minimum his guidance counselor would have known he was rocking multiple F's that were still unsatisfied by early September.

Comment

Kudos to the board to sticking to the rules. Like someone said how could that have gone unnoticed? At a minimum his guidance counselor would have known he was rocking multiple F's that were still unsatisfied by early September.
                        As I understand it, the player needed to make up one of the Fs to be eligible to attend school during his senior year, but needed to make up all three of the Fs to play. The glitch occurred when he only made up one of the Fs and was added to the "eligible to play" list instead of the "eligible to attend school" list.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X