Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So is this points obsession something that only the parents of the older teams on this site focus on ? I say that because in my 4 or 5 years of going to games and tournaments, tryouts, etc...not once has a single parent ever mentioned to me anything about what number ranking their team had or how many points they got at their last tournament. I was at a preseason tournament talking to a father of one player whose son actually plays on one of the top teams in his age bracket and was playing against another of the top teams and I asked him who were some of the best teams they played against. I have spoken with these other parents regularly while waiting for my sons games and never heard anything about rankings on even close to a regular basis. So do the majority of parents actually use this to make decisions ? I understand that if you have an elite player you want them to play for the best teams and perhaps the best coaches, but other than that does it really influence what people decide ? I guess once you start looking at teams outside the top 3 or 5, does it matter if your team is position #9 or position # 17 when you decide ? Is that what attracts a college coach really ?
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Comment

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
      I should have not said this in such a snarky fashion (for which I apologize), but I answered with more substance.

Not only did my player have a very bad experience with the over-priced GPS (when it was MPS), who taught zero technique, every other parent on that team pretty much quit for the same reason. And some of them didn't even really know that game. As you no doubt know from reading this board, a lot of other parents have likewise complained about GPS on t-s as being overpriced for what they teach.

I would say that parents MUST be flocking to big clubs based upon their rankings or else (given what we know about them) GPS wouldn't have THIRTEEN TEAMS in a single age bracket, while clubs that DO teach technique have trouble often fielding a single team.

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/r...earch=GPS&pos=

Comment

The funny part is that none of the DAP teams get gotsoccer points. Therefore, team #1 on gotsoccer is most likely the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state even if the gotsoccer ranking is accurate.

Comment

The funny part is that none of the DAP teams get gotsoccer points. Therefore, team #1 on gotsoccer is most likely the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state even if the gotsoccer ranking is accurate.
          Not funny at all, it just is what it is. DA doesn't do any GS event so why should they be in GS? ECNL rankings in GS are irrelevant also even though teams appear on it.

Comment

I should have not said this in such a snarky fashion (for which I apologize), but I answered with more substance.

Not only did my player have a very bad experience with the over-priced GPS (when it was MPS), who taught zero technique, every other parent on that team pretty much quit for the same reason. And some of them didn't even really know that game. As you no doubt know from reading this board, a lot of other parents have likewise complained about GPS on t-s as being overpriced for what they teach.

I would say that parents MUST be flocking to big clubs based upon their rankings or else (given what we know about them) GPS wouldn't have THIRTEEN TEAMS in a single age bracket, while clubs that DO teach technique have trouble often fielding a single team.

Here we go again. Ms. GPS Axe-Grinder is back because her kid had a bad experience.
            1. You're a little proud of your "Plural of Anecdote is not Data", which is why you posted it solo. It may be your one quick-witted post. Savor it.
            2. You open with an anecdote (good humor this)
            3. Make false broad generalizations about "every other" and "a lot of other parents". Ignoring that for each GPS post (you generate) there is an accompanying set of "GPS works for us" and "why do you care" posts.
            4. Your "Data" shows a total lack of comprehension. Did you even look at the distribution of the 13 teams? They are spread across regions and represent a full range of GS points. This "Data" actually disproves your hypothesis that parents pick GPS for the GS points. 92% of the 13 teams were chosen by parents for reasons other than GS points. I suspect that regional proximity, appropriate level of play, and opportunity to progress "up the chain" play a factor.
            Here is the Gu13s - Same 13 teams, same broad distribution

I really am sorry that YOU had a bad GPS experience. WE have had a good one. Share your experience, and allow others to make their choice. But please stop the incessant whining about GS points and evil mega-clubs. It undermines your credibility.

You have relentless data gathering skills, but you force-fit the data to align with your obsession. Please try to adhere to the scientifc method: Allow the data to reveal the truth, and welcome the contributions of peer review.

In the interim, you appear to be GPS' jilted ex. If you didn't care, you wouldn't post.
            Let it go, and be proud of your child wherever they play.

Comment

And the above post is Exhibit #89734 in the list of moronic TS posts.

Suppose a rating system ranks teams in alphabetical order, and therefore concludes that Afghanistan has the best national soccer team in the world. A year later, Germany and Spain and Brazil remain behind them in the rating system, since Afghanistan remains ahead of them in alphabetical order. According to this cretin, that simply demonstrates that Germany and Spain and Brazil have terrible teams, and the rating system works quite well.

This country just gets dumber and dumber.
              Oh the irony. You call another poster moronic and claim our country is becoming dumber. Have you read your analogy? Do you believe there is a connection between a static characteristic (e.g. Alphabetical order) and a performance-based variable?

dumb and dumber indeed

Comment

Oh the irony. You call another poster moronic and claim our country is becoming dumber. Have you read your analogy? Do you believe there is a connection between a static characteristic (e.g. Alphabetical order) and a performance-based variable?

dumb and dumber indeed
                So fun when the psuedo-intellectuals weigh in.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Here we go again. Ms. GPS Axe-Grinder is back because her kid had a bad experience.
                  1. You're a little proud of your "Plural of Anecdote is not Data", which is why you posted it solo. It may be your one quick-witted post. Savor it.
                  2. You open with an anecdote (good humor this)
                  3. Make false broad generalizations about "every other" and "a lot of other parents". Ignoring that for each GPS post (you generate) there is an accompanying set of "GPS works for us" and "why do you care" posts.
                  4. Your "Data" shows a total lack of comprehension. Did you even look at the distribution of the 13 teams? They are spread across regions and represent a full range of GS points. This "Data" actually disproves your hypothesis that parents pick GPS for the GS points. 92% of the 13 teams were chosen by parents for reasons other than GS points. I suspect that regional proximity, appropriate level of play, and opportunity to progress "up the chain" play a factor.
                  Here is the Gu13s - Same 13 teams, same broad distribution

I really am sorry that YOU had a bad GPS experience. WE have had a good one. Share your experience, and allow others to make their choice. But please stop the incessant whining about GS points and evil mega-clubs. It undermines your credibility.

You have relentless data gathering skills, but you force-fit the data to align with your obsession. Please try to adhere to the scientifc method: Allow the data to reveal the truth, and welcome the contributions of peer review.

In the interim, you appear to be GPS' jilted ex. If you didn't care, you wouldn't post.
                  Let it go, and be proud of your child wherever they play.
                  Au contraire. The lack of technique of the graduates of these mega clubs undermines THEIR credibility. And as for GPS, very few other clubs import coaches on temporary visas, visas which expire in the middle of a season, and ask their customers to house those coaches.

Comment

So fun when the psuedo-intellectuals weigh in.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                    in other words, you have no counter argument.

Comment

Au contraire. The lack of technique of the graduates of these mega clubs undermines THEIR credibility. And as for GPS, very few other clubs import coaches on temporary visas, visas which expire in the middle of a season, and ask their customers to house those coaches.
                      You provide a response with self-described "substance" and call others moronic for lacking data. But when called out for failing to comprehend your own data, you switch to making fun of coaches' birthplaces. Um... have you checked the birthplaces of the current US Olympic Coaches? (you really aren't bright)

Comment

You provide a response with self-described "substance" and call others moronic for lacking data. But when called out for failing to comprehend your own data, you switch to making fun of coaches' birthplaces. Um... have you checked the birthplaces of the current US Olympic Coaches? (you really aren't bright)
                        Have you noticed that no English coach finished at the top half of the EPL table this year? (Two can play at that game - clearly you have no understanding of data, either.) But GPS is chock full of English/British coaches? And can't teach technique? Coincidence? Perhaps. But I am sure they can teach getting "stuck in."

I will admit, however, that they are astute businessmen - much to the detriment of youth soccer.

Comment

Have you noticed that no English coach finished at the top half of the EPL table this year? (Two can play at that game - clearly you have no understanding of data, either.) But GPS is chock full of English/British coaches? And can't teach technique? Coincidence? Perhaps. But I am sure they can teach getting "stuck in."

I will admit, however, that they are astute businessmen - much to the detriment of youth soccer.
                          When it comes to teaching technique to some clumsy kids, I don't think nationality matters. My kid on the other hand, she has a great coach and her team just won NPL yesterday. So, thanks Coach!

Club soccer IS a business, and as you say, they are astute.

Comment

in other words, you have no counter argument.
                            Why bother. You're one of those last word know-it-alls who already thinks he's so much smarter than everyone else that he'll never admit anything to the contrary. See if you can keep from posting a comeback. I bet you can't. Make my point for me.

Comment

Why bother. You're one of those last word know-it-alls who already thinks he's so much smarter than everyone else that he'll never admit anything to the contrary. See if you can keep from posting a comeback. I bet you can't. Make my point for me.
                              Don't think I'm smarter than most, but I do know you called other posters morons, and you're a little dim

Comment

Surely you are not touting the UK-born Jill Ellis as being competent? What point are you making?

As for Klinsmann, his coaching career is not so stellar, either.

So who is not bright? (This can go on all year.)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X