Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why GotSoccer Rankings Are Stupid, Exhibit #42397

The team currently ranked #1 in MA at BU15 no longer exists, and hasn't played a game in almost a year.

Why do you find that stupid. Means that your U15 team must not be very good if you can't over take a team that hasn't played a game in year. In that respect the rankings work quite well. Your team must suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The team currently ranked #1 in MA at BU15 no longer exists, and hasn't played a game in almost a year.
      Newsflash- all the rankings are stupid. Topdrawer might be the most inaccurate list of any poll/list ever created for any subject.

Comment

All gotsoccer is, is a sort of scouting report that tells you how good a team you are going to play MAY be. Still have to play the game to prove anything.

Comment

Why do you find that stupid. Means that your U15 team must not be very good if you can't over take a team that hasn't played a game in year. In that respect the rankings work quite well. Your team must suck.
          And the above post is Exhibit #89734 in the list of moronic TS posts.

Suppose a rating system ranks teams in alphabetical order, and therefore concludes that Afghanistan has the best national soccer team in the world. A year later, Germany and Spain and Brazil remain behind them in the rating system, since Afghanistan remains ahead of them in alphabetical order. According to this cretin, that simply demonstrates that Germany and Spain and Brazil have terrible teams, and the rating system works quite well.

This country just gets dumber and dumber.

Comment

Suppose a rating system ranks teams in alphabetical order, and therefore concludes that Afghanistan has the best national soccer team in the world. A year later, Germany and Spain and Brazil remain behind them in the rating system, since Afghanistan remains ahead of them in alphabetical order. According to this cretin, that simply demonstrates that Germany and Spain and Brazil have terrible teams, and the rating system works quite well.

Ok dad, you just go ahead and carry on with your alphabetical listing. Still doesn't explain how your kid's team can't jump over a team that has been defunct for almost a year (can't be 12 months or more since the points drop off after that). If teams aren't competing anywhere then they shouldn't be on anyone's radar. Teams like that never matter. Go win something... a tournament, a league, ... anything ... and then come back and bitch.

Comment

If the team hasn't played since last summer then they aren't accumulating any points this year while yours and other should have been accumulating points all that time. Come June they'll get dropped any way so you can be happy once you move up.

And if the system is so "stupid" why do you care any way? You give it credence by getting your undies in a bunch. It's fine for what it is - a lose approximation of skill, giving tournament organizers a way to group similar teams. With all the different leagues and tournaments and strength of soccer in general state to state, no system is going to be perfect. There's just too many variables. Take it for what it is.

Comment

All gotsoccer is, is a sort of scouting report that tells you how good a team you are going to play MAY be. Still have to play the game to prove anything.
                All gotsoccer is is a business that awards "points" to its paying customers (clubs) that causes THEM to get more revenue streams, er, customers (parents).

This is not rocket science. "If you're not paying, you're not the customer, you're the product."

Comment

All gotsoccer is is a business that awards "points" to its paying customers (clubs) that causes THEM to get more revenue streams, er, customers (parents).

This is not rocket science. "If you're not paying, you're not the customer, you're the product."
                  If you win you get points. Have your coach enter a tournament and win. Simple really.

Comment

If you win you get points. Have your coach enter a tournament and win. Simple really.
                    Only a tournament that uses gotsoccer software. gotsoccer's business practice is basically an extortion racket. If you don't pay them (use their software), the points never appear - at least on time. If your league doesn't use them (up until at least recently for one league), you got no points at all for winning.

And of course, youth soccer is all about winning, as opposed to development.

All it takes for gotsoccer to dominate the youth soccer universe, and make it prioritise winning over development, is for people to do nothing but make decisions by those all-important points (as, by your reply, I presume you do).

Comment

Only a tournament that uses gotsoccer software. gotsoccer's business practice is basically an extortion racket. If you don't pay them (use their software), the points never appear - at least on time. If your league doesn't use them (up until at least recently for one league), you got no points at all for winning.

And of course, youth soccer is all about winning, as opposed to development.

All it takes for gotsoccer to dominate the youth soccer universe, and make it prioritise winning over development, is for people to do nothing but make decisions by those all-important points (as, by your reply, I presume you do).
                      The bigger tournaments offer points. The best divisions of the bigger tournaments offer a lot of points. It isn't hard to get points. Enter big tournaments and win. You are making way too much out of this. I'm sorry you don't like the system but whining here isn't changing anything. My kid plays for a team that plays really strong competition and if they win they get rewarded. If the lose they don't. That's life.

Comment

www.youthsoccerrankings.us

That is all you need

Comment

The bigger tournaments offer points. The best divisions of the bigger tournaments offer a lot of points. It isn't hard to get points. Enter big tournaments and win. You are making way too much out of this. I'm sorry you don't like the system but whining here isn't changing anything. My kid plays for a team that plays really strong competition and if they win they get rewarded. If the lose they don't. That's life.
                          Let me try again. My complaint is not that we don't get points. My complaint is that you (and perhaps the majority of youth soccer parents) pick clubs based upon gotsoccer rankings (usually only of the top squad in any age bracket), which means that clubs must WIN NOW rather than PATIENTLY DEVELOP PLAYERS. Including YOUR KID as well as mine.

My complaint is that, as a result, NO CLUB can any longer take the long view - they must win now at U8 or else you revenue streams, er, parents, will not choose to pay them.

As a country, we put more money into youth soccer (especially on the girls side) than any country on the planet, and we still produce (with rare exception), generally crap soccer.

I mean, isn't every other thread here on ts about who is "better?" Not who produces better, more technical individual players, but who racks up the points?

Comment

So is this points obsession something that only the parents of the older teams on this site focus on ? I say that because in my 4 or 5 years of going to games and tournaments, tryouts, etc...not once has a single parent ever mentioned to me anything about what number ranking their team had or how many points they got at their last tournament. I was at a preseason tournament talking to a father of one player whose son actually plays on one of the top teams in his age bracket and was playing against another of the top teams and I asked him who were some of the best teams they played against. I have spoken with these other parents regularly while waiting for my sons games and never heard anything about rankings on even close to a regular basis. So do the majority of parents actually use this to make decisions ? I understand that if you have an elite player you want them to play for the best teams and perhaps the best coaches, but other than that does it really influence what people decide ? I guess once you start looking at teams outside the top 3 or 5, does it matter if your team is position #9 or position # 17 when you decide ? Is that what attracts a college coach really ?

Comment

www.youthsoccerrankings.us

That is all you need
                              Funny , Gs is more accurate. Some guy from nefc must write this one. Why not put yourself first?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X