Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a MetroWest parent

First, i'm going to do my best to limit negative interactions. I'm honestly hoping to find some useful advice. I recognize that about 75% of the posts here are extremely negative. I'm asking the people posting the other 25% to help me out. First a bit about me: my child is U10. I did not play soccer as a kid, and I'm completely new to the club soccer scene as this is my chlid's first year in club. My child is in MAPLE, but I think that is irrelevant. Basically, I want to know if my frustration is justified. First the good: my child has improved dramatically over 8 months. I'm obviously biased as the dad, but seriously, my child has improved by country miles. my child is having a boat load of fun. both great. now the bad:
    1. Coach of the team has not had a single individual player/coach meeting since my child has been on the team (i.e., since August 2015). This includes all members of the team, not just my child.
    2. My child's team had a game last weekend, but the team just got an email from coach that he will not be coaching at the last game or at the Memorial Day tournament. Basically, he waited until after the last game he'll have coached to inform us that he won't be coaching them anymore.
    3. Coach intentionally double booked so that he was not available for the first 15 minutes of practice. Practices are 1 hour 15 minutes, meaning he misses 30 minutes of practice per week. One of the most substantial punitive actions taken against the team since last August was due to his arrival at their practice after 15 min and finding that they hadn't warmed themselves up. Note: these are 9 and 10 year old kids.
    4. This club is over $2000 a year. we're not talking about a volunteer coaching situation.
    5. This coach is the gender technical director. this guy isn't a chump in the organization.

Is my frustration justified? admittedly, my child is not a world-beater. i'm not paying for club so that my child can play soccer in college. i beg you to keep your response on the experience i'm having with the club.

Welcome to club soccer.

My son is U12, 2nd yr at our club. One of the big ones in NEP.

1. Player/parent meetings rarely happen. My son did get a mid-season written review. The club requires it. But in talking to other parents, the review was pretty generic. However, our coach will take the time to talk to you if asked.

2. Our coach is coaching another team Mem weekend and has only told the PC. He regularly misses games due to being double booked. We get a sub coach. No notice. Pretty common.

3. Double booking for practice is pretty bad and this one would have me miffed. Things like this have only happened on occasion.

Bottom line: of course you have a right to be frustrated. But understand that similar things happen everywhere. Figure out what you are willing to live/deal with. Move on if this is too much. Just know that there is no perfect club.

Comment

this is actually very informative. thank you for your insight.

Comment

We have been in club soccer for 8 years on a couple of different clubs in NEP/Maple

There is no difference in the league
        The review is not that valuable and has only occurred twice
        $2000 is about normal if not on the low side
        Any child in club for 8 months will have a dramatic improvement

Substitute coaching on game day happens all the time. Games are for parents. Practices are for development which leads me to my last point. If your coach is missing 15 minutes of practice then switch teams or clubs.

The coach should be at the practice 15 minutes early to set up the drills. this coach has some sort of distraction to be able to do his job effectively

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          We have been in club soccer for 8 years on a couple of different clubs in NEP/Maple

There is no difference in the league
          The review is not that valuable and has only occurred twice
          $2000 is about normal if not on the low side
          Any child in club for 8 months will have a dramatic improvement

Substitute coaching on game day happens all the time. Games are for parents. Practices are for development which leads me to my last point. If your coach is missing 15 minutes of practice then switch teams or clubs.

The coach should be at the practice 15 minutes early to set up the drills. this coach has some sort of distraction to be able to do his job effectively
          According to this website, it must be some player's mom...

Comment

How much does a coach make coaching a u11 team? Fall- Winter- Spring

Comment

I'll hit the points I can, best I can.

1) We don't do a lot of one-on-ones directly. However, they are available if I ever have a question/comment - and I do often. They do respond quickly and if it's more of a discussion than can be had via e-mail, we'll touch base before or after practice for 5 mins. However, this needs to be initiated by the parent. There is an end-of-the-season individual wrap-up/review.

2) That's beat. We haven't had a coach leave before the season ended, so can't comment on it directly.

3) This is tougher. Yes, coaches go from practice to practice often, and will sometimes be late. Even by design. I will say with kids that age, I would say he got the behavior he should've expected...kids standing around. Coach should've reached out to team parent or something to ask them to at least get them warming up. I think your gripe is valid here.

4) No comment

5) Even tougher...because normally that would be your outlet. I would send him/her a note and ask for a one-on-one and explain your position. I am one to defend clubs as they work for us, but in the end they are providing a service which you need to be happy with. If not, it's your right to discuss it with them. Possibly, they are so naive that there is a problem, since nobody said anything.

Also, I appreciate your realistic view of your child and skills. I would say that it's early...so you never know. My kid was one of the worst 1-2 kids her first year (U9). Mid-level U10 on the "B" team. By U11 she it's starting to come together and she plays regularly on the "A" team. Still, I have no aspirations of college scholarships or the like...those thoughts are a few years away and still. There's been some movement in the opposite direction, too, by some. Moral of the story: Don't pigeon-hole them just yet.

Comment

First, i'm going to do my best to limit negative interactions. I'm honestly hoping to find some useful advice. I recognize that about 75% of the posts here are extremely negative. I'm asking the people posting the other 25% to help me out. First a bit about me: my child is U10. I did not play soccer as a kid, and I'm completely new to the club soccer scene as this is my chlid's first year in club. My child is in MAPLE, but I think that is irrelevant. Basically, I want to know if my frustration is justified. First the good: my child has improved dramatically over 8 months. I'm obviously biased as the dad, but seriously, my child has improved by country miles. my child is having a boat load of fun. both great. now the bad:
                1. Coach of the team has not had a single individual player/coach meeting since my child has been on the team (i.e., since August 2015). This includes all members of the team, not just my child.
                2. My child's team had a game last weekend, but the team just got an email from coach that he will not be coaching at the last game or at the Memorial Day tournament. Basically, he waited until after the last game he'll have coached to inform us that he won't be coaching them anymore.
                3. Coach intentionally double booked so that he was not available for the first 15 minutes of practice. Practices are 1 hour 15 minutes, meaning he misses 30 minutes of practice per week. One of the most substantial punitive actions taken against the team since last August was due to his arrival at their practice after 15 min and finding that they hadn't warmed themselves up. Note: these are 9 and 10 year old kids.
                Practice double booking could be poor club management or a disinterested coach, hard to say without insider knowledge. In either case, you are not getting the training that you are paying for. And blaming 10 years old for not warming themselves up is not right. And its quite odd that the coach can't finish the year on the sidelines, but having a substitute coach for the last 2 weeks isn't a deal breaker. It does happen frequently come tournament time. But I would be kicking the tires at other nearby clubs this June. Since you say you're from Metrowest, I would recommend Abby Villa (Hopkinton) if you want to stay in Maple, and if you want to jump into NEP, FC Boston (Hopkinton/Framingham) and NEFC (Marlboro) are quality clubs. Both do player evaluations, either once a season or once a year.

Comment

Practice double booking could be poor club management or a disinterested coach, hard to say without insider knowledge. In either case, you are not getting the training that you are paying for. And blaming 10 years old for not warming themselves up is not right. And its quite odd that the coach can't finish the year on the sidelines, but having a substitute coach for the last 2 weeks isn't a deal breaker. It does happen frequently come tournament time. But I would be kicking the tires at other nearby clubs this June. Since you say you're from Metrowest, I would recommend Abby Villa (Hopkinton) if you want to stay in Maple, and if you want to jump into NEP, FC Boston (Hopkinton/Framingham) and NEFC (Marlboro) are quality clubs. Both do player evaluations, either once a season or once a year.
                  Ah, err, we have been at FC Boston for 6 years and have never received any written or verbal evaluation of our player's strengths or areas to develop. Simply a fact to help guide you in your choice of clubs. Th extent of the comments, " the player is doing fine."

Comment

4. This club is over $2000 a year. we're not talking about a volunteer coaching situation.
                    5. This coach is the gender technical director. this guy isn't a chump in the organization.

Is my frustration justified? admittedly, my child is not a world-beater. i'm not paying for club so that my child can play soccer in college. i beg you to keep your response on the experience i'm having with the club.
                    Your annoyance is justified, but what is really important you outlined at the start of the post. As the coach will no longer be coaching the team, it's all water under the bridge at this point.

Signed, An Oldtimer

Comment

Ah, err, we have been at FC Boston for 6 years and have never received any written or verbal evaluation of our player's strengths or areas to develop. Simply a fact to help guide you in your choice of clubs. Th extent of the comments, " the player is doing fine."
                      Don't feel bad, my D1 committed daughter (different club) has received 1 in now her 10th year of club soccer.

Comment

This is ridiculous.. You obviously do not get it. You said the coach is an age gender director, obviously they have a lot on their plate and you do not explain what the double booking is.

Second, coaches for Memorial Day could be coaching up to 10 games or more especially if they are a tech director making sure all teams have quality coaching to make everyone happy. Is your kids team a top team? Assuming yes if tech director is coaching it or maybe a second team to make sure they all get better and have a chance at making top team.

I am sure they will give feedback if you communicate with them but at the end of Spring, directors have a million things to do, tryouts, recruiting, tournaments, etc. Your points would not be questions if you were educated on their commitments to the club.

You obviously have a problem with the club so I would talk to the director who will be more than happy to clarify.

Comment

This is ridiculous.. You obviously do not get it. You said the coach is an age gender director, obviously they have a lot on their plate and you do not explain what the double booking is.

Second, coaches for Memorial Day could be coaching up to 10 games or more especially if they are a tech director making sure all teams have quality coaching to make everyone happy. Is your kids team a top team? Assuming yes if tech director is coaching it or maybe a second team to make sure they all get better and have a chance at making top team.

I am sure they will give feedback if you communicate with them but at the end of Spring, directors have a million things to do, tryouts, recruiting, tournaments, etc. Your points would not be questions if you were educated on their commitments to the club.
                          If the coach and/or director are too busy to give you customer service, then its a poorly managed club for that price and you can do better. Directors do have more responsibility, but they should delegate more tasks or coach less teams. If you were playing like $1,000 per year, than obviously you have to give up something to get a good deal. But even if they are too busy, they aren't too busy to cash the checks every day.

Comment

You obviously have a problem with the club so I would talk to the director who will be more than happy to clarify.
                            No, I don't get it. that's why I posted here. I wanted to see if I am off base, or whether my frustration is founded. I'm, generally speaking, not very educated. I do appreciate your feedback.

Comment

No, I don't get it. that's why I posted here. I wanted to see if I am off base, or whether my frustration is founded. I'm, generally speaking, not very educated. I do appreciate your feedback.
                              By my count, I see 8 good and 3 smarmy responses. Feel lucky!! :-)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X