Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tryout Season 2016 Gamechangers

So the silly season has started. People are coming out of the woodwork to slander opposing clubs and teams in an effort to sway public opinion. I love this time of year because the posts become extra outrageous and they make for great entertainment.

The difference with 2016 unlike most years is that the community is dealing with the stupid age change and the creation of select U12 Academy teams.

The U12 age group seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to the emergence of psycho parents. For some reason 12 is when most parents feel like they have a college scholarship locked up because they're child is the most talented on the team. Things get very serious for the U12 parents. They start whispering a lot. They find Gotsoccer. They begin posting here rather than just lurking.

As the psychos begin to blossom and the realities of the age change and DAP converge you have a tsunami that has begun to form.

All of this angst and false hope will make the 2016 tryout process the most dysfunctional in recent memory. Beyond entire teams being gutted by the age change I would bet entire groups change clubs altogether to chase the dream. When the dust settles in late June coaches and DOC's will be sitting on the floor in a pile of evaluations and unsigned contracts wondering what the hell just happened. This will be the Black Monday of club soccer in Massachusetts(for those coaches too young to know what Black Monday was you can just Google it).

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So the silly season has started. People are coming out of the woodwork to slander opposing clubs and teams in an effort to sway public opinion. I love this time of year because the posts become extra outrageous and they make for great entertainment.

The difference with 2016 unlike most years is that the community is dealing with the stupid age change and the creation of select U12 Academy teams.

The U12 age group seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to the emergence of psycho parents. For some reason 12 is when most parents feel like they have a college scholarship locked up because they're child is the most talented on the team. Things get very serious for the U12 parents. They start whispering a lot. They find Gotsoccer. They begin posting here rather than just lurking.

As the psychos begin to blossom and the realities of the age change and DAP converge you have a tsunami that has begun to form.

All of this angst and false hope will make the 2016 tryout process the most dysfunctional in recent memory. Beyond entire teams being gutted by the age change I would bet entire groups change clubs altogether to chase the dream. When the dust settles in late June coaches and DOC's will be sitting on the floor in a pile of evaluations and unsigned contracts wondering what the hell just happened. This will be the Black Monday of club soccer in Massachusetts(for those coaches too young to know what Black Monday was you can just Google it).
    Gotta love it!
    Would make a for a great reality tv show!

Comment

Hey, wait a minute! I was psycho about soccer WAY before my daughter turned 12. In the technology world, we call people like me "innovators"!

Comment

Lots of people made lots of money after Black Monday...

Comment

Lots of people made lots of money after Black Monday...
          Lots of people jumped off bridges too.

Comment

Actually it is likely that the opposite is happening. Many clubs (fearing what you outlined above) have already offered players spots and contracts with the hope of having their entire team locked up before tryouts begin.

Comment

Actually it is likely that the opposite is happening. Many clubs (fearing what you outlined above) have already offered players spots and contracts with the hope of having their entire team locked up before tryouts begin.
              I'm aware of that and every person I know of in this situation has laughed about the early contract. Early contracts are desperation plays. If anything I would be very concerned about a team that tried to pressure you into an early signing.

Comment

I'm aware of that and every person I know of in this situation has laughed about the early contract. Early contracts are desperation plays. If anything I would be very concerned about a team that tried to pressure you into an early signing.
                What would your concern be? Whether it be now or in a few weeks, the terms will be the same. If you like the team and club and want to play for them next year, you get your spot now instead of next month. If you need more time or like uncertainty, you can wait it out. Your choice. No pressure.

Comment

They may laugh, but contracts are signed in many cases. I'm aware of 4-5 teams that already have 15+ players already locked in for next year. ('01s and older)

Comment

What would your concern be? Whether it be now or in a few weeks, the terms will be the same. If you like the team and club and want to play for them next year, you get your spot now instead of next month. If you need more time or like uncertainty, you can wait it out. Your choice. No pressure.
                    What happens if you don't sign an early contract? Does the club want you less?

Comment

They could move on...

Comment

Ask the coach, not TS.

Comment

Valeo pushed the early contract this year. No need to sign early. I am sure my child will make the tryout

Comment

They could move on...
                            Move-on to who? The kids they didn't give the early contract to? Doubtful.

GPS try this with us. We didn't even go to the tryout. They emailed us an offer anyways.

Comment

Move-on to who? The kids they didn't give the early contract to? Doubtful.

GPS try this with us. We didn't even go to the tryout. They emailed us an offer anyways.
                              They move on to practice players or those attending birth year practices or poach players from other clubs.

For those non crazy people, who are happy at their club and think their kid is developing, they will stay.

For the crazies, chasing the dream as you say, or who are freaked out that teams are getting split up, they are in the worst shape mentally right now. I've been witness to several freak outs. They still don't know what to do or what they are doing.

My kid is U12 and an 04. He's been at the same club for 2 yrs. In his words, he's ready to move on. He feels he could develop more quickly by a coach who pushes the team a little more. He's also looking for kids who are a little more committed/dedicated. We'll be attending tryouts to see what's out there and find another fit. He's a bubble player, so hopefully he's able to move up slightly. Not chasing the dream. Just looking for a challenge and development.

I suspect most clubs have, or are trying to, lock down their best. Some want to stay. Others want to see if the grass is greener. If you're truly at that level, you don't have to commit right now and you know that. Those freaking out, are not at this level.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X