Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northshore options for boys

So we have a younger son and one who is in college now. We have been through this before at a smaller club and wondering if we are doing the right thing now with our youngest. The Vikings typically had some good teams under AI but not anymore. NSU had some good teams under NJ but he's gone. Aztecs had a few good teams under EK & TL years back but now they are very weak for boys. FC Boston have very low level teams with a dad coaching his kids. (Been there don't that no thanks)

None of these clubs are good options in my opinion moving forward for my son. Any feedback on local opportunities with strong coaches is appreciated?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So we have a younger son and one who is in college now. We have been through this before at a smaller club and wondering if we are doing the right thing now with our youngest. The Vikings typically had some good teams under AI but not anymore. NSU had some good teams under NJ but he's gone. Aztecs had a few good teams under EK & TL years back but now they are very weak for boys. FC Boston have very low level teams with a dad coaching his kids. (Been there don't that no thanks)

None of these clubs are good options in my opinion moving forward for my son. Any feedback on local opportunities with strong coaches is appreciated?
    I don't know much about the boys side. I did notice that NEFC North will have a boys group U11 and up and NJ is listed as a coach. You may want to do some research on this. Good luck!

http://www.nefc.us/coachingassignment

Comment

NSU is now GPS northshore under same mgt. NJ went from NSU to Aztec to FC Boston now to NEFC. If you like club hopping, follow him. As a GPS NS parent of an older boy I looked more at who my child would get in the U13/14/15 years. The younger years, you need a good coach, but not the best. SF and OG are in the mix in the older years and you are sure to have them at some point. Worth a look.

And for the record...before the claws come out....I am not a coach, director or even a manager...just a parent.

Comment

You had me until you mentioned SF & OG. FYI your whole club hopped and it's worse now. If GPS NSU was the last club standing I would have my son play another sport. This must be SF because nobody thinks he's a good coach.

Comment

You had me until you mentioned SF & OG. FYI your whole club hopped and it's worse now. If GPS NSU was the last club standing I would have my son play another sport. This must be SF because nobody thinks he's a good coach.
          Wow, someone was scorned by NSU. You wouldn't be so passionate with your response otherwise. Do tell, where did you son end up that is so much better, this family is looking for answers!

Comment

AI and others at Vikings still do a good job with the younger kids, and for less money, so not a bad place to start out. But you'll likely need to switch elsewhere later on if you want to compete at the higher levels when he gets older. NSU has not been good in a LONG time, but they're now part of GPS and have some good coaches so I'd expect their stature will climb. You'll read on this board that Aztec is in a state of flux, so hard to say. And a bunch of the old Aztec guys are now NEFC North for the upcoming fall season, so one question is how long it will take them to assemble decent teams. Keep in mind that both NSU and NEFC offer a pathway to their "Elite" older teams (and long drives), so that's either attractive for the opportunity it provides, or a negative if you think your kid won't qualify for the Elite team (or you don't want to drive to it) so he'll be left behind when the best players are skimmed off the top.

If it were me, I'd forget about the club and focus on the coach for this coming season- I'd go with EK or AI. Going with Vikings means you're more likely to have to switch clubs at some point, but my experience has been that an occasional change of atmosphere is good for the players so I don't view that as a negative.

Comment

AI and others at Vikings still do a good job with the younger kids, and for less money, so not a bad place to start out. But you'll likely need to switch elsewhere later on if you want to compete at the higher levels when he gets older. NSU has not been good in a LONG time, but they're now part of GPS and have some good coaches so I'd expect their stature will climb. You'll read on this board that Aztec is in a state of flux, so hard to say. And a bunch of the old Aztec guys are now NEFC North for the upcoming fall season, so one question is how long it will take them to assemble decent teams. Keep in mind that both NSU and NEFC offer a pathway to their "Elite" older teams (and long drives), so that's either attractive for the opportunity it provides, or a negative if you think your kid won't qualify for the Elite team (or you don't want to drive to it) so he'll be left behind when the best players are skimmed off the top.

If it were me, I'd forget about the club and focus on the coach for this coming season- I'd go with EK or AI. Going with Vikings means you're more likely to have to switch clubs at some point, but my experience has been that an occasional change of atmosphere is good for the players so I don't view that as a negative.
              Agree with the above. If you can get AI or RN as a coach at Vikings then do it as they will definitely teach your son the skills and tactics necessary to keep progressing up the ladder in soccer. Having done the merry go round that is Club Soccer twice already it's all about the Coach and the team (your teammates) not the Club/Organization. AI and RN do a very good job. It's not the splash high end style of the bigger clubs, but splash and style are overrated I'd rather have a coach who WILL TEACH the skills, tactics and be demanding. Both my players learned tremendous skills from AI and RN and both started all 4 years in college with $$$.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X