Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Don’t be so sure your player will make stars coming from a town program. All parents think their kids are good. Be realistic.
    Depends on what Stars team. The OP is asking, so sounds like they are being realistic with their inquiry.

The benefit of a bigger club is they will likely have a team for you, no matter your level. But, it's very, very hard to walk into Stars' top team off the street. They'll make you start at the lower level no matter your quality to start.

Of course, the caveat with a club like Stars is the lower you go, your coach matches it....

Comment

Don’t be so sure your player will make stars coming from a town program. All parents think their kids are good. Be realistic.
      Agreed... Stars has a pretty deep pool of players. Most non-Stars kids that make ECNL teams will come from top teams at other clubs (same with NEFC for GDA--SSS is a bit different due to location, IMO). That being said, there is plenty of opportunity for a kid to play at the level that's right for them at the bigger clubs... As for coaching, your best bet is to look for the best overall pool of coaches...

Comment

We live in a location where most of the good clubs are an hour away. We could even venture into RI but not loving what we are seeing and hearing about the clubs there. So hard to choose and like I said the tryouts all fall on the same week everywhere so you have to make a choice and gamble. I agree about the coaches too. It's hard to know how its going to pan out when some coaches aren't as good as others.
        Not sure why this is getting posted now as most teams are set for this year. Are you already anticipating tryouts next spring? Or are you hoping to get them onto a roster this fall?
        Regardless, dont' wait for any official tryouts. Most clubs will let you come to a few practices. Not only does this get your kid on the radar earlier but it's a better way to assess fit than cattle call tryouts. Call the clubs you're interested in and ask. If you're waiting until next spring, try and go to some games this season and watch the teams, skill level, and how the coaches interact with the players.

Comment

The pool of players at around U13 and U14 is very well known by the coaches at the top programs. I know people say that new kids come out of nowhere at U15 to take roster spots of the kids on the U12 and U13 teams now but I am not sure that's going to continue to be the case. In the past, kids jumped at U14 from local town/premier to high level teams but over the past few years that jump has occurred much earlier and so the reality is that you may find churn between ECNL/DA teams but not many new players coming in.

If your kid is good, start working on her next step soon. The reality is that to make a team like FC Stars (A team) at U14 she would have to be obviously at or better than the top 5 players already there. Coaches do not upset their teams for sub depth.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your great advice. Looks like we have a busy fall and spring visiting games and practices of other teams. One final question, again a newbie here, but is it easy to access team schedules of games or do you advise I just contact the owner of the clubs? I would like to see the top teams play but need schedules.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your great advice. Looks like we have a busy fall and spring visiting games and practices of other teams. One final question, again a newbie here, but is it easy to access team schedules of games or do you advise I just contact the owner of the clubs? I would like to see the top teams play but need schedules.
              Most teams' schedules are on their websites. ECNL league schedules are on the ECNL website. It's become pretty accessible over the years.

Comment

Most teams' schedules are on their websites. ECNL league schedules are on the ECNL website. It's become pretty accessible over the years.
                Best to look at the GotSoccer website for NEP/NPL schedules. It then becomes a bit of challenge to find the teams since some of these clubs have so many.

ECNL and GDA both have sites that are easier to navigate, IMO

Comment

Best to look at the GotSoccer website for NEP/NPL schedules. It then becomes a bit of challenge to find the teams since some of these clubs have so many.

ECNL and GDA both have sites that are easier to navigate, IMO
                  https://www.eliteclubsnationalleague...edule-2019-20/

Comment

Wish you good luck. Again as other posters said, be realistic that your daughter will likely not jump onto the top team at any top club right out of the gate. Also, be realistic in how much time and money you can commit. Googling distances to different club locations will not give you a good idea of the actual experience of driving in heavy traffic and bad weather (remember practices all winter). ECNL and DA teams play out of state almost weekly, generally from NH down to VA. Those teams can cost $10k/ year with fees, travel, tournaments, etc. The whole thing can feel like a 2nd job if you work already.

Comment

So for the league my daughter will be in you just go to:
                      https://www.northeastgirlsdevelopmentleague.com/

If you were on NEFC this would be where that teams schedule lives at the U12-13 ages

Someone else already linked the ECNL site.

Good luck! Also, careful what you wish for!

Comment

So for the league my daughter will be in you just go to:
                        https://www.northeastgirlsdevelopmentleague.com/

If you were on NEFC this would be where that teams schedule lives at the U12-13 ages

Someone else already linked the ECNL site.

Good luck! Also, careful what you wish for!

Just went on the NEFC site for information...WOW! Lots of regions and teams. I don't even know how to navigate one region from another. Wish they had coaches profiles, rankings something. I don't want to go watch all the games, but I am willing to drive a little further for one region over another (if we go for NEFC) if the coaching and competition is better. FC Stars also covers many regions having many teams. So this is no longer just comparing clubs its comparing the teams in each region of the club...crazy. When did soccer get so complicated?

Comment

Just went on the NEFC site for information...WOW! Lots of regions and teams. I don't even know how to navigate one region from another. Wish they had coaches profiles, rankings something. I don't want to go watch all the games, but I am willing to drive a little further for one region over another (if we go for NEFC) if the coaching and competition is better. FC Stars also covers many regions having many teams. So this is no longer just comparing clubs its comparing the teams in each region of the club...crazy. When did soccer get so complicated?
                          For NEFC, their top teams (GDA and NPL) are based in Mendon (there are some NPL level teams out of other regions).

For Stars, their top teams (ECNL and ECNL regional) are all based in Lancaster.

Comment

Even more reason i think this is a giant troll job.
                            If at u13 she is playing at regional level it honestly doesn't matter.

Travel for NPL or ECRL with aspiration to have DA or ECNL option in future.

Comment

For NEFC, their top teams (GDA and NPL) are based in Mendon (there are some NPL level teams out of other regions).

For Stars, their top teams (ECNL and ECNL regional) are all based in Lancaster.
                              This really helped narrow it all down thank you! I’ll be heading out to watch games over the fall and spring in Mendon and Lancaster. Thank you.

Comment

Even more reason i think this is a giant troll job.
                                If at u13 she is playing at regional level it honestly doesn't matter.

Travel for NPL or ECRL with aspiration to have DA or ECNL option in future.
                                It has been awhile since we've had a "My Ulittle kid is really good. Where should we go?" thread, that then devolves into the usual BS.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X