Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are naive if you think championships don’t matter. They speak to the quality of the team and the competition at practices, and the potential for eyeballs at showcases. Good players want to compete against other good players. Looking at trophies is not the only factor but it’s not a bad place to start.
    Quality championships matter. No one cares if you won the middle of the summer tourneys when many quality kids aren't even playing. Or most are just playing to kept up with their touches; not worrying or caring about a meaningless tourney/championship.

Comment

Championships help sell club membership to the naive. They are certainly part of soccer, and yes, it’s obviously better to play at certain tournaments for exposure. Scouts are looking at player, not teams. If your kid sits on the bench at the championship, while the team brings in its new ringers to win it, how is that beneficial for their development, competition and exposure ? Some clubs sell their product by boasting their championships, while it doesn’t really apply to the majority of players. If you’re not the ringer, you don’t need to pay to pad the budget of the club. Too many players have jumped ship to other clubs , only to find out they’re treated like second class citizens to the top teams: lesser fields, lesser coaches with lesser attention and commitment to the lower team players. Fact.
      You don't need to win a championship in club to show that you're a good player and/or good club. You need to have quality games. Some clubs actually play all of their players in games. Hard go believe I know. It's not about the win as much as it's about the kids getting looks, getting offers for college and development. That is the job of a club. The job of a college coach is to win and not everyone will get playing time. It's completely different. And, if the club doesn't do it's job, the players may not understand.

Comment

Quality championships matter. No one cares if you won the middle of the summer tourneys when many quality kids aren't even playing. Or most are just playing to kept up with their touches; not worrying or caring about a meaningless tourney/championship.
        ok, agreed. Not all tournaments are the same, but to belittle any "national" championship is foolish. I acknowledge that even those tournaments don't have the same quality teams top to bottom, but the top teams are generally really good.

Comment

You don't need to win a championship in club to show that you're a good player and/or good club. You need to have quality games. Some clubs actually play all of their players in games. Hard go believe I know. It's not about the win as much as it's about the kids getting looks, getting offers for college and development. That is the job of a club. The job of a college coach is to win and not everyone will get playing time. It's completely different. And, if the club doesn't do it's job, the players may not understand.
          If you are not winning and being successful as a team you will be placed very low at any important college showcase or not get in at all. If you want to be seen by coaches you need to be placed high in these tournaments or go to ID clinics for the schools you are interested in. Everyone should be played regardless when it comes to showcases, I know my kids coach and yes we are with NEFC.

Comment

ok, agreed. Not all tournaments are the same, but to belittle any "national" championship is foolish. I acknowledge that even those tournaments don't have the same quality teams top to bottom, but the top teams are generally really good.
            My kid has a roommate at school that played for a "national championship" US Club soccer team back in the day.

She and most of the kids on that team are no longer even playing soccer because they received very little interest from any top 150 colleges in DI. A few maybe two or three are playing D1 not top 150 and the others that are playing are D3. These are national champions mind you. So, I'm not belittling it at all. I commend them for all the time and commitment, but it garnered nothing as far as their soccer careers. And, I suspect they were hopeful it would. So, not all national championships are worth the time and money.

Comment

If you are not winning and being successful as a team you will be placed very low at any important college showcase or not get in at all. If you want to be seen by coaches you need to be placed high in these tournaments or go to ID clinics for the schools you are interested in. Everyone should be played regardless when it comes to showcases, I know my kids coach and yes we are with NEFC.
              Not true. Coaches recruit individuals not teams. You can still stand out if the coaches see you making the correct runs, passing correctly and with pace, and more. You can still stand out even if your team isn't great. Coaches are looking for that kid, still.

Comment

Disagree. Technical skills needed and soccer iq. Stars does neither one. I'm not the other poster, but I agree. Old stars club, yes. Stars club in the last 5 years, no. They don't get kids ready for college ball.

My kid would rather play next to an NEFC player who knows how to keep a ball close to her when dribbling and has soccer iq then a Stars kid that can only play kick and go get it ball and can't dribble and can only kick it long and chase it down. That's not soccer. And your better programs play possession not kick and go get it.
                Thanks NEFC parent, coach or player. You didn’t make it at Stars, or you are on another clubs payroll. Time to get over it and move on.

Comment

Thanks NEFC parent, coach or player. You didn’t make it at Stars, or you are on another clubs payroll. Time to get over it and move on.
                  Ehhhh - wrong. Incorrect on all counts. Sorry to have hurt your Star's butt or ego or both.

Comment

Both clubs have there plus and minuses.Both are sold and touted as being the best it really comes down to teams and individual talent, there are good and bad teams at all different ages at both.Pissn contests are useless.

Comment

My kid has a roommate at school that played for a "national championship" US Club soccer team back in the day.

She and most of the kids on that team are no longer even playing soccer because they received very little interest from any top 150 colleges in DI. A few maybe two or three are playing D1 not top 150 and the others that are playing are D3. These are national champions mind you. So, I'm not belittling it at all. I commend them for all the time and commitment, but it garnered nothing as far as their soccer careers. And, I suspect they were hopeful it would. So, not all national championships are worth the time and money.
                      This is such an asinine comment. Those girls won a championship because they were committed to their team and winning that championship not to secure a scholarship or have a future soccer career. If your daughter was lucky enough to be on that championship team you would have fond memories and keepsakes from the championship that she and her teammates earned. Every team plays to win regardless of what you say and winning a championship and earning a scholarship are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

National Championship sounds great, but it really is not. It is exclusively NPL level, and not even all of the best NPL teams are entered. National Championship is overused like the term elite. I think next season you should call it World Champions, Universe Champions the year after next.

This is such an asinine comment. Those girls won a championship because they were committed to their team and winning that championship not to secure a scholarship or have a future soccer career. If your daughter was lucky enough to be on that championship team you would have fond memories and keepsakes from the championship that she and her teammates earned. Every team plays to win regardless of what you say and winning a championship and earning a scholarship are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Who cares? Kids had fun, probably parents did too. It's all a money grab. There is no league or sport that isn't immune to competitive dilution and folks out to make a few $. Families have no substantive say in how the landscape is structured. They're just trying to figure out where their kid fits in it.

Comment

Both clubs have there plus and minuses.Both are sold and touted as being the best it really comes down to teams and individual talent, there are good and bad teams at all different ages at both.Pissn contests are useless.
                            If you are on the top team or go to the expensive private school that the coaches work for, you will probably fit in well on certain teams and clubs. If you are looking for the best club to develop your player, regardless of what you do for a living and how much money you fork over to the school and club, you may need to do research beyond which team won a summer championship game. Talk to lots of players at all levels , and from all walks of life. Ask about how much they’ve improved as a player, since being with the club and its coaches. Ask if all players and teams get the same quality of coaches, fields, and opportunities to train and play.

Comment

Oakwood?

Comment

Summer championship game ? your team has to win their Npl bracket then win State cup then win qualifying round to semis and then championship game.Summer championship game as you called is end result of numerous successes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X