Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referee--Better than everyone or just rude

Fitness: Sound decision making under pressure depends on good field positioning and fitness. Mental fatigue, loss of concentration and inconsistent decision-making lead to poor game control. Decisions made close to play are less likely to be appealed or contested by players. Willingness to go wide and deep on the diagonal in response to play and into the penalty area as needed in a manner that enhances game control. Did the Referee

• Maintain an appropriate level of effort throughout the match?
    • Exhibit the ability to sprint when necessary to take new position quickly?
    • Exhibit mobility, moving laterally and backwards when required?
    • Take and then recover easily from extreme positions ahead of play, off the field and elsewhere as the game demands?

The above was taken from taken from the Mass State Referee website. Today I was at a District Select game where the referee was so rude and out of shape is was embarrassing. First let's start with the fact the he could not walk very well. I truly hate to point out a handicap but if the official is not able to run up and down the field, according to the Mass State Referee website, he is not qualified to referee the game.

Secondly, he totally overreacted to a parent who was saying to another parent "he blew the call". He yelled accross the field for the parent to "Shut up" and came over and yelled in his face that he was "inappropriate." Please note that the parent was trying to appologize while being reprimanded like a 2 year old.

Finally, after the game, a differnet parent attempted to approach the referee to explain, that as an authority figure, he should probably use "Be quiet" instead of "shut up" while addressing anyone since he is supposed to be the authoriy figure and the sidelines were full of small kids. When the parent walked over to him, she asked is she could as a question of him. His reponse was "Get out of here" and a very loud tone. She stated that she just wanted to ask him a question and he continued to scream "get out of here" She then asked for his name which he refused to give, screaming all the while "get out of here" She began to leave and then turned and asked him to please not use "shut up" in the future.

He totally escalated both situations without cause. My question or concern becomes, do you report this type of abusive behavior or do you just suck it up for the sake of the child.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Fitness: Sound decision making under pressure depends on good field positioning and fitness. Mental fatigue, loss of concentration and inconsistent decision-making lead to poor game control. Decisions made close to play are less likely to be appealed or contested by players. Willingness to go wide and deep on the diagonal in response to play and into the penalty area as needed in a manner that enhances game control. Did the Referee

• Take and then recover easily from extreme positions ahead of play, off the field and elsewhere as the game demands?

The above was taken from taken from the Mass State Referee website. Today I was at a District Select game where the referee was so rude and out of shape is was embarrassing. First let's start with the fact the he could not walk very well. I truly hate to point out a handicap but if the official is not able to run up and down the field, according to the Mass State Referee website, he is not qualified to referee the game.

Secondly, he totally overreacted to a parent who was saying to another parent "he blew the call". He yelled accross the field for the parent to "Shut up" and came over and yelled in his face that he was "inappropriate." Please note that the parent was trying to appologize while being reprimanded like a 2 year old.

Finally, after the game, a differnet parent attempted to approach the referee to explain, that as an authority figure, he should probably use "Be quiet" instead of "shut up" while addressing anyone since he is supposed to be the authoriy figure and the sidelines were full of small kids. When the parent walked over to him, she asked is she could as a question of him. His reponse was "Get out of here" and a very loud tone. She stated that she just wanted to ask him a question and he continued to scream "get out of here" She then asked for his name which he refused to give, screaming all the while "get out of here" She began to leave and then turned and asked him to please not use "shut up" in the future.

He totally escalated both situations without cause. My question or concern becomes, do you report this type of abusive behavior or do you just suck it up for the sake of the child.
    The escalation was the parent approaching the referee. The best thing was to take the kid to the car and leave. He probably gets this crap during and after every game because people think that they're getting screwed out of the world cup if he makes a call that they don't agree with. Don't forget he can only please 50% of the people during every game.

Comment

Saw a similar thing at a District game last weekend.

Very relaxed atmosphere but then the refs went way over the top as the game was played out. The issue was that the center ref couldn't move and he seemed to now know the rules very well. It was U-17 boys so it started getting rough and the ref called some things, but not others - very inconsistent. So it gets to the point where the goalkeeper has the ball in hand to punt it and he steps out of the box. The ref calls it a direct kick - meanwhile all the kids and several parents are saying it should be indirect. The boys should have shut up but the couldn't help them selves - saying sir, sir it's indirect, etc. The cards start flying and no lie within 5 minutes (all while the ball is not in play there were 3 or 4 yellows and then a red card. It was ridiculous the sideline referee started calling penalties and telling the center ref to card "10, card #6, card the keeper.

For the next game that same center ref was now on the parent's sideline - he couldn't move and you could tell he didn't have a clue or want to be there.

It's too bad that there aren't more decent refs in the state. Folks that want to be there and who understand the game.

Comment

I guess I should have been more clear in the beginning of my post (my fault). It starts with the fact that the ref could barely walk. He was totally not able to keep up with the game and blew several calls on both sides. He limped badly and according to one team "we thought we were going to call him an ambulance, he could barely breath."

Comment

All that will be left are thick skinned referee's that can stand the parent, coach and player abuse. (regardless of ability or fitness)

Comment

The escalation was the parent approaching the referee. The best thing was to take the kid to the car and leave. He probably gets this crap during and after every game because people think that they're getting screwed out of the world cup if he makes a call that they don't agree with. Don't forget he can only please 50% of the people during every game.
            Maybe, but these are different parents. One who said something during the game and the other who thought the ref was inappropriate and waited until after the game

Comment

It was two diffrrent parents and the first was not even talking to the ref, but to another parent on the side line. This ref could not move see or keeps up with the game. The errors he made was on both sides because of his physically unable to keep up with play. Thank goodness that all teams involved were playing hard but clean soccer, inwhich prevented any injuries because he could not have. My wonder is who is over seeing these refs? And why they are held to their guildlines that they have set up.
              Why can we go to paid tournaments and get excellent refs and the next weekend go state or maple tournaments and the refs stink can not move and do not know the rules of the game?????????????

Comment

Saw a similar thing at a District game last weekend.

Very relaxed atmosphere but then the refs went way over the top as the game was played out. The issue was that the center ref couldn't move and he seemed to now know the rules very well. It was U-17 boys so it started getting rough and the ref called some things, but not others - very inconsistent. So it gets to the point where the goalkeeper has the ball in hand to punt it and he steps out of the box. The ref calls it a direct kick - meanwhile all the kids and several parents are saying it should be indirect. The boys should have shut up but the couldn't help them selves - saying sir, sir it's indirect, etc. The cards start flying and no lie within 5 minutes (all while the ball is not in play there were 3 or 4 yellows and then a red card. It was ridiculous the sideline referee started calling penalties and telling the center ref to card "10, card #6, card the keeper.

For the next game that same center ref was now on the parent's sideline - he couldn't move and you could tell he didn't have a clue or want to be there.

It's too bad that there aren't more decent refs in the state. Folks that want to be there and who understand the game.
                The boys and the parents would be better served if they had "shut up" and learned the Laws of the game.

Any hand ball is a direct kick. By asking for an indirect kick they only showed their lack of knowledge. They compounded matters by dissenting, even politely. That can get you a caution and if you keep it up an ejection.

Referees make mistakes and there are some bad ones, but before you criticize it would be wise to study the Laws of the game. Start with Law 12.

Comment

darlsum whiskers

Mass Soccer should be aware of the issues

Comment

Sounds like they are from Central mass.

Comment

Fitness is a legitimate and perhaps a fitness test should be part of the certification process. Those incapable of doing a full field game could still be capable of doing short sided games. Having said that, parents have no business addressing referees unless it is to thank them for doing the game or complimenting them for a good job. To do otherwise makes parents look like the rabid, over the top parent that they are. Learn to let it go. This IS only YOUTH soccer after all.

Comment

Fitness is a legitimate and perhaps a fitness test should be part of the certification process. Those incapable of doing a full field game could still be capable of doing short sided games. Having said that, parents have no business addressing referees unless it is to thank them for doing the game or complimenting them for a good job. To do otherwise makes parents look like the rabid, over the top parent that they are. Learn to let it go. This IS only YOUTH soccer after all.
                        This is district select, where the results don't even matter. Mistakes are made during games and so long as no one was hurt, the kids may have learned to accept calls. More likely their parents told them that they were right and that they should question authority regardless of the consequences to their team. DS games are pretty much a tune up for fall season and if the kids can't keep their mouths shut during a HS game, then they will very likely be sent off and at that point their team mates or coach might not think a big mouth is so cute. They will see a lot of calls or non calls they'll want to question in HS.

Comment

This is district select, where the results don't even matter. Mistakes are made during games and so long as no one was hurt, the kids may have learned to accept calls. More likely their parents told them that they were right and that they should question authority regardless of the consequences to their team. DS games are pretty much a tune up for fall season and if the kids can't keep their mouths shut during a HS game, then they will very likely be sent off and at that point their team mates or coach might not think a big mouth is so cute. They will see a lot of calls or non calls they'll want to question in HS.
                          The kid said absolutely nothing. I think the bigger problem is not with the ref repremanding the parent who said something. That's the refs call, but to be so unprofessional and rude. This is youth soccer and he is supposed to be the authority figure, why doesn't he act like it? I have been to many years of maple games. For the most part, even if a call is bad, the referee does not act in this manner. This ref had an attitude of "don't speak to me , I'm above you." I could careless if he threw the first parent out. You must act professionaly and remember that the kids are supposed to look up to you. Oh yeah, you should be able to run up and down the field.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;175438]The kid said absolutely nothing. I think the bigger problem is not with the ref repremanding the parent who said something. That's the refs call, but to be so unprofessional and rude. This is youth soccer and he is supposed to be the authority figure, why doesn't he act like it? I have been to many years of maple games. For the most part, even if a call is bad, the referee does not act in this manner. This ref had an attitude of "don't speak to me , I'm above you." I could careless if he threw the first parent out. You must act professionaly and remember that the kids are supposed to look up to you. Oh yeah, you should be able to run up and down the field.[/QUOTE

Get over it. You may not have liked his conduct on the field but you had no business approaching him at the end of the game. You were WRONG. I'm sure every kid out in that field had said and/or heard worse than "shut up".

Comment

The kid said absolutely nothing. I think the bigger problem is not with the ref repremanding the parent who said something. That's the refs call, but to be so unprofessional and rude. This is youth soccer and he is supposed to be the authority figure, why doesn't he act like it? I have been to many years of maple games. For the most part, even if a call is bad, the referee does not act in this manner. This ref had an attitude of "don't speak to me , I'm above you." I could careless if he threw the first parent out. You must act professionaly and remember that the kids are supposed to look up to you. Oh yeah, you should be able to run up and down the field.
                              No question about it Central Mass HS official.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X