Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplemental programs

Someone told me this was a thread last year, but I cant find it. Apologies for rehashing...

My u13 son is one of the strongest players on a very good premier club. He usually plays the entire game and has played a few games with our u14 team. Our coach thinks he can benefit from some additional training surrounded by top players and offered to get him into PDP for the winter session

My son wants to stay with this club (otherwise we would look at some of the DA clubs).

My question is what do people think about programs like PDP or ODP (some have said iODP is on the rebound in CT). What are the costs? Is it worth the time/money or are we better off hiring a coach for a few 1on1 sessions?

My son is actually the one pushing to do more. I'm conscious about burnout and would only consider this if it really helped him and was fun. Neither he nor I have any interest or dreams of D1 offers or pro careers. He simply wants to see how good he can get and I basic feel the same way.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Someone told me this was a thread last year, but I cant find it. Apologies for rehashing...

My u13 son is one of the strongest players on a very good premier club. He usually plays the entire game and has played a few games with our u14 team. Our coach thinks he can benefit from some additional training surrounded by top players and offered to get him into PDP for the winter session

My son wants to stay with this club (otherwise we would look at some of the DA clubs).

My question is what do people think about programs like PDP or ODP (some have said iODP is on the rebound in CT). What are the costs? Is it worth the time/money or are we better off hiring a coach for a few 1on1 sessions?

My son is actually the one pushing to do more. I'm conscious about burnout and would only consider this if it really helped him and was fun. Neither he nor I have any interest or dreams of D1 offers or pro careers. He simply wants to see how good he can get and I basic feel the same way.
    Good that it's his idea and you're not the one pushing for it, as most parents do. ODP is not on the rebound. Don't waste your money or time, not only because of the poor quality training but it's very infrequent as well. PDP has very good supplemental training but it isn't cheap. Doing it during the winter is a good idea because clubs tend to scale back on practices then. PDP can lead to other opportunities as well. Red Bulls RDS is another extra training option (requires a tryout). Many clubs have supplemental clinics, especially in the winter so keep an eye out for those. There are also a lot of online training resources with drills he can do on his own for free in the yard. The more he has the ball at his feet the better.

Comment

Good that it's his idea and you're not the one pushing for it, as most parents do. ODP is not on the rebound. Don't waste your money or time, not only because of the poor quality training but it's very infrequent as well. PDP has very good supplemental training but it isn't cheap. Doing it during the winter is a good idea because clubs tend to scale back on practices then. PDP can lead to other opportunities as well. Red Bulls RDS is another extra training option (requires a tryout). Many clubs have supplemental clinics, especially in the winter so keep an eye out for those. There are also a lot of online training resources with drills he can do on his own for free in the yard. The more he has the ball at his feet the better.
      How does the Red Bulls RDS work? How does PDP work? New to this.

Comment

PDP organized through NYCSL. Fall season already underway but winter schedule posted. Tryout based. Details here:
        https://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/h...excellence.asp

RBNY RDS also tryout based. Summer sleep-away camps are very popular. Details here:
        http://www.redbullsacademy.com/training/rds/

Both excellent for top players but as mentioned not cheap. Best of luck.

Comment

PDP is run through NYCSL. They run multiple sites throughout the tri state area. You have to try out for it (some age groups like your son's have a lot of players, others less so). Once/week sessions per season. Top players are selected by PDP coaches for special teams. More info here http://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/html/pdp/default.asp

Red Bulls RDS also requires a tryout. They also run a lot of locations and making it isn't necessarily that hard. A few players get "discovered" there but the right attitude is that it's just extra quality training. They also do good summer camps. http://www.redbullsacademy.com/training/rds/

Comment

lol great minds think a like. My kids have done both. Both good supplemental training. The CT PDP location for us was easier than Red Bulls, bonus in the winter when the weather sucks.

Comment

if you have done PDP before, can you please let me know fee for 12 weeks ? :)

Comment

Contact John Curtis at NYCSL for up to date info (should be on the NYSCL info page). It's been two years since my kid did it and I don't remember the fee. I also think varies fall/winter/spring based on length of program.

Comment

Contact John Curtis at NYCSL for up to date info (should be on the NYSCL info page). It's been two years since my kid did it and I don't remember the fee. I also think varies fall/winter/spring based on length of program.
                  what up with OWs trainings sessions, there not good enough? need to go out a get extra training eventhough you already train 3 days a week plus games? i counted atleast 6-7 girls this past sunday that were from OW. thought OW was the best of the best?

Comment

Most boys are in the Academy and don’t need an ODP type program, I have a family friend who is playing BS Academy and they have an internal ID Program there.

As far as the girls side goes, until Girls Academy builds some legs here in our State it’s a good supplement. My daughter is a 2007 player and we happened to get our weeks wrong and I saw a lot of ECNL girls there. Which tells me if ECNL and NPL top players there, I’m at the right place with her.

My son is still too young for it but I’ll have him try it once he’s old enough.

I heard the JC program is very good too but I really like the State Program.

Comment

what up with OWs trainings sessions, there not good enough? need to go out a get extra training eventhough you already train 3 days a week plus games? i counted atleast 6-7 girls this past sunday that were from OW. thought OW was the best of the best?
                      why do CFC parents always have to revert back to OW? This has nothing to do with OP question. get a life CFC parents!

Comment

Most boys are in the Academy and don’t need an ODP type program, I have a family friend who is playing BS Academy and they have an internal ID Program there.

As far as the girls side goes, until Girls Academy builds some legs here in our State it’s a good supplement. My daughter is a 2007 player and we happened to get our weeks wrong and I saw a lot of ECNL girls there. Which tells me if ECNL and NPL top players there, I’m at the right place with her.

My son is still too young for it but I’ll have him try it once he’s old enough.

I heard the JC program is very good too but I really like the State Program.
                        Internal ID program at BS? Says who? That's a joke!

Comment

That is laughable, more like someone internally constantly looking for talent externally.

Comment

Internal ID program at BS? Says who? That's a joke!
                            According to my son who did the winter PDP session last year, there were at least 5-6 kids from BS. He pointed a few of them out and I would say they were pretty solid but not standouts in any way. We both laughed that they were the only kids that kept telling everyone they were on BS. With each drill one of them would say "oh we do this drill at BEACHSIDE".

For my son, PDP was amazing. He was in an OK travel program last year and being with strong talent got him really motivated. I can't imaging how bad BS training must be if these kids needed to do PDP on top of BS.

JC helped get my son on a DA club for this year. Without PDP, I think we would still be doing travel or some local premier club. When we discussed DA clubs in the area - JC never even mentioned BS. One of the BS kids from the winter session is now on my son's PDP. I only spoke briefly with the dad but just bringing up the name BS causes him to roll his eyes. I'm sure I'll get the full story before the year is out.

Comment

One of the BS kids from the winter session is now on my son's PDP.
                              Meant to say is now on my son's DA team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X