No respect for coaches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respect IS earned; but you cannot make a teenager respect anyone, if that teenager hasn't been raised properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Respect IS earned; but you cannot make a teenager respect anyone, if that teenager hasn't been raised properly.
      high school soccer is an abyss. Unless Ed Harris is your coach, you are in trouble

Comment

lol these HS coaches age paid a maximum stipend of 7k per year. They don’t need to be told any of what you azzhats feel like dishing out. If you want a coach who will develop a program and win championships give him a full time job in the school and the keys to the program.

That’s how it’s done.

No coach getting paid a 7k stipend at MAX is going to sit there and let parents players orAD ruin there life.

Comment

It seems that there is really no respect for coaches these days. The pendulum has swung so far to the other extreme. It is not fair to coaches who have dedicated so much of their energy and life to a program. They are not even allowed to defend themselves in public.

I don't want to go back to the days where coaches acted with impunity but everyone should take a step back from the precipice.
          I have zero respect for my kids coach and here is why. He clearly plays the favorites game. There are sucky players getting more minutes than some of the better players. It’s very noticeable. Kids with horrible first touch, poor dribbling and passing skills, zero vision, inability to work under pressure, slow speed of play, poor judgement. But he sees something special in them. It’s very obvious that he has favorites in how he interacts with them. Lost my respect.

Comment

I don’t know all the details but here is what I can share:

Last week one of the boys did not follow the coaches direction regarding his position and formation. He was subbed out (possibly said something to the coach about his formation - not confirmed). Coach dressed him down publicly on the sideline for players and spectators to hear. Player either quit team or was kicked off (not entirely sure). The next day another player elected to leave the team as well. My understanding is parent took exception as to how child was treated and spoken to. Coach has a reputation of doing things “old school”. A “my way or the highway” type of coach. My two cents: player was in the wrong. Also believe the way we were coached 20 years ago is no longer accepted (you can argue that one forever). Coach had many successes but in recent years not so much (last year was a good year for them but no hardware). Too bad coach could not have retired gracefully. Sucks for him and sucks for the boys. No one wins here.
            There must be more than just described. I am sure this coach has not changed his style or manners in a long time. I would bet more players were ready to quit the team over this. Bad precedent set by the Guilford AD to allow players to walk all over coach. Congrats to coach for not standing for this. Kids in CT or just terrible. No wonder the ratio of players making d1 sports is so low for this entitled state.

Comment

There really wasn’t anything else. No other players were going to quit. I think coach got tired of complaining parents and did not feel totally supported by administration.

Comment

I have zero respect for my kids coach and here is why. He clearly plays the favorites game. There are sucky players getting more minutes than some of the better players. It’s very noticeable. Kids with horrible first touch, poor dribbling and passing skills, zero vision, inability to work under pressure, slow speed of play, poor judgement. But he sees something special in them. It’s very obvious that he has favorites in how he interacts with them. Lost my respect.
                This post is a joke right? Lol. Maybe your kid just isn’t good? Has that thought crossed your mind? Or maybe your kid is an entitled dope like his/her parents who thinks he/she knows more than they do? There is also the possibility that the coach isn’t playing favorites, but simply playing those players they think will help them win. Whether those decisions are correct or not is irrelevant. The decisions are their to make. But based on your post, I’m going with your kid isn’t very good. There is always piano lessons. The world needs piano players as well as piano movers.

Comment

There must be more than just described. I am sure this coach has not changed his style or manners in a long time. I would bet more players were ready to quit the team over this. Bad precedent set by the Guilford AD to allow players to walk all over coach. Congrats to coach for not standing for this. Kids in CT or just terrible. No wonder the ratio of players making d1 sports is so low for this entitled state.
                  It’s culture
                  The kids have changed and so have the parents- neither are willing to work for what they want
                  Working thru tough times is taboo, team goals have been replaced by personal ones and most times it’s the parents goals and not the players.

Comment

This is how coaches lose credibility.

Comment

This is how coaches lose credibility.
                      Most High School coaches don't work thru issues or try to fix on field problems. It's not like they are working on style of play. Our high school coach still has 20 kid lines at midfield during a shooting drill. Pretty pathetic that in this day and age where you can find free session plans on line that a coach wouldn't figure out how to keep all the kids active at the same time. There's no dynamic warm up, there's no 'plan'. It's the same stick in the mud every year not trying to tinker and fix on field play and certainly not doing any work to improve.

At our school the AD is a football centric Dbag and he could care less about hiring a qualified soccer coach. Meanwhile we are literally surrounded by club coaches as parents. Kudos to the club coaches (parents) that say nothing and just pray that the season ends without injury

Comment

There are many quality coaches in HS and there are plenty of bad ones. Be thankful if you have one of the quality ones. A coach that is knowledgeable but can also relate to young men or women in an appropriate manner. I don’t think any coach says to him/her self, “I am going to pick this player because I am friends with their parents.” However, coaches can be influenced by pressure if they don’t have a strong picture in their mind on what they want. A coach with vision and that works hard. I think if you find that coach he/she is probably a respected coach.

Comment

I don’t know all the details but here is what I can share:

Last week one of the boys did not follow the coaches direction regarding his position and formation. He was subbed out (possibly said something to the coach about his formation - not confirmed). Coach dressed him down publicly on the sideline for players and spectators to hear. Player either quit team or was kicked off (not entirely sure). The next day another player elected to leave the team as well. My understanding is parent took exception as to how child was treated and spoken to. Coach has a reputation of doing things “old school”. A “my way or the highway” type of coach. My two cents: player was in the wrong. Also believe the way we were coached 20 years ago is no longer accepted (you can argue that one forever). Coach had many successes but in recent years not so much (last year was a good year for them but no hardware). Too bad coach could not have retired gracefully. Sucks for him and sucks for the boys. No one wins here.

I don't know the details, but here is what I can share...

1) POSSIBLY said something to coach
                          2) NOT SURE if he quit/kicked off team
                          3) HERE IS WHAT I THINK

You are all so laughable!!

Comment

Here's an awful situation - Senior's Night in H.S. soccer sans seniors. Yes agree H.S. is a disaster but moving past that - Senior's Night where H.S. coach doesn't change his starting line up or formation (plays same number/names of senior starters since first game of the season) and subs out with juniors, sophomores, and even a freshman but no seniors from the first minute till nearly the bitter end. Isn't till 5 minutes and 2 minutes left in game - he subs in remaining 9 bench players who are seniors (all 4 year veterans of the program). Oh and team had a lead of 2-0 into the half and 3-0 into last 20 minutes. And the game was meaningless for seeding and conference finals. Full disclosure, my kid is neither a senior or a starter, and I get coaching is not for the faint of heart - parents are a pain, teachers a pain, ADs and students are a pain, but some times there are self-inflected wounds. Come on man!

Comment

Here's an awful situation - Senior's Night in H.S. soccer sans seniors. Yes agree H.S. is a disaster but moving past that - Senior's Night where H.S. coach doesn't change his starting line up or formation (plays same number/names of senior starters since first game of the season) and subs out with juniors, sophomores, and even a freshman but no seniors from the first minute till nearly the bitter end. Isn't till 5 minutes and 2 minutes left in game - he subs in remaining 9 bench players who are seniors (all 4 year veterans of the program). Oh and team had a lead of 2-0 into the half and 3-0 into last 20 minutes. And the game was meaningless for seeding and conference finals. Full disclosure, my kid is neither a senior or a starter, and I get coaching is not for the faint of heart - parents are a pain, teachers a pain, ADs and students are a pain, but some times there are self-inflected wounds. Come on man!
                              Why should a kid that only plays soccer during season, never works on skills or can give a rats ass get minutes? Should my fat kid that can't dance or sing star in school play? America is soft

Comment

I guess when you call it senior's night - you get what you paid for, or blow back from lack of truth in advertising. HS soccer is a joke in and of itself - let alone when taken in light of the CT soccer landscape. Just look to - CJSA or ODP, or how the plague of pop-up premier clubs continues to destroy establishment of a true pipeline of talent, and encroachment from GPS to the north, or NYCSL to the south. Layer on that the usual OW vs. BS and ECNL vs. NPL talking soccer fun and you've got the mess CT is - too much circus for to small a state.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X