Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a racist if your Girls play soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you a racist if your Girls play soccer?

According to one writer, you may be.

"America's youth soccer system wasn't established with racist or elitist intent, but it's been allowed to evolve in that direction without meaningful efforts at course correction."

Read it for yourself http://www.tampabay.com/sports/i-wor...-girls/2293791

Economically disadvantaged players might have a harder time affording travel soccer or any sport with higher fees like travel basketball. The good news is recreational soccer players will hear about this Girls DA where the fees will be covered by U.S. Soccer. There is hope.

Comment

kids from for homes have a lot more to think about than soccer. this is a narrow view of the problem. And woman's soccer is not viewed as "a way out of poverty" and for good reason, other than for a few, there's no money in woman soccer - although that may change, i wouldn't bank on it. best you can get out of womans soccer is money for school, and the numbers show that you have a low probability of achieving that as well. bottom line - if a kid can play and demonstrate the commitment to the game (poverty does create distractions in life) they will play, and likely without worrying about fees.

Comment

say no more:

" 32 percent of U.S. households report an annual income of $75,000 or greater, yet 54 percent of households with children involved in soccer come from that income group."

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          say no more:

" 32 percent of U.S. households report an annual income of $75,000 or greater, yet 54 percent of households with children involved in soccer come from that income group."
          Then 68% are below $75K And 46% of households with children involved in soccer come from that income group. Next question, where do you think the big soccer clubs set up their programs- in inner city Detroit or the suburbs of Tampa? Accessibility to recreational soccer programs is another aspect.

Comment

I would also inference from the statistics that a Higher Percentage of lacrosse, basketball, football, tennis, hockey, ice skating, gymnastics, dance, horse riding, bowling, whatever sport __ players are coming from the higher income households. There is more discretionary money for lessons, driving to the programs, and taking the sport to a higher level.

Comment

"I worry, Especially for my girls"

GET A BETTER JOB!!!!!

Comment

"I worry, Especially for my girls"

GET A BETTER JOB!!!!!
                The big Companies don't hire Blacks or Hispanics...It's just the way it is in this country, the Land of the FREE...

Comment

The guest commentary is the you that is racist. The numbers they used are skewed. When you have a population made up of approximately 75% white people, the skewed numbers are not that drastic.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/00

If you are good enough, then they (clubs/US Soccer) will find away to pay for it.

Better yet, you find a away to pay for it, stop looking for a hand out.

Comment

Stop being a racist!!!

Crystal Dunn Said it best.
                    In an interview this summer, current USWNT player Crystal Dunn, a 24-year-old African-American, told Sports Illustrated that while she understands that she's a role model for girls of color, she doesn't want to be defined by her race when she steps on the pitch.

But everyone else of color wants to be defined by their race.

Once we all have this mentality of not being defined by our race (skin color), we will make the world a better place.

Comment

Girls of color are better at track, basketball and other sports. Should white girls have a right to by percent in the country 88% be balanced out in these other sports. It might surprise you that there may be a lot of white girls that are better in soccer.

Comment

The big Companies don't hire Blacks or Hispanics...It's just the way it is in this country, the Land of the FREE...
                        You are so full it. Get your education, pull your pants up, work hard and be respectful. You will be surprised at the opportunity out there.

Comment

I was a racist LONG before the kid could play soccer

Comment

The guest commentary is the you that is racist. The numbers they used are skewed. When you have a population made up of approximately 75% white people, the skewed numbers are not that drastic.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/00

If you are good enough, then they (clubs/US Soccer) will find away to pay for it.

Better yet, you find a away to pay for it, stop looking for a hand out.
                            I think this is a complicated issue that's not specific to girls' soccer. Yes, there are more whites in the population so in a way it does make sense for there to be more whites playing in youth sports, but I think there are other factors and you are right in that finding a way to pay is a big part of it.

As someone else posted, all of these extracurricular sporting activities require a comfortable amount of discretionary income. Yet, there is a racial wealth gap, nicely summarized in this Forbes article (which also proposes many reasons why the gap exists and why it perpetuates): http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashi.../#3366c1e96c5b.

I'm sure all the experienced soccer parents on this site are familiar with the number of hours of playing and amount of time devoted to specialized coaching that is needed to reach a certain level of excellence. All of which over time adds up to a lot of money. Given the kinds of economic disparities that exist between whites and blacks & Latinos, it's much less common for black and Latino famiies to "find a way to pay for it."

Someone else brought up the point that professional women's soccer does not offer high incomes. Agreed. Women's sports in general have very poor return on investment, which further diminishes the likelihood that significant time/money will be dedicated by black and Latino families to these activities, unless of course your wealth affords it.

As to the idea that players who are "good enough" will rise to the top and be plucked out of obscurity regardless of resources, I'm not sure how realistic that is. I think it might be more akin to the odds to winning some kind of lottery, like Sueño MLS.

Comment

How many blacks and hispanics are qualified for the positions offered by these companies? Check out the graduation rates for blacks and hispanics then come back with your answer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X