Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Coaches should switch every 2 years and if these clubs got it together they would see that. For example Coach a takes a group at U9 and U10 then Coach B takes them at U11 and U12. Clubs could then put the coaches in place that work best with those age groups.

Unfortunately most clubs can't figure that out and they put a coach that should be working with older players with a group of young kids and vice versa.
    That is ideal but as you said many don't do it. A weaker club might have a varying number of teams from year to year so it's harder to plan. And a club that doesn't treat coaches well might be constantly hiring new ones. Beware coach churn.

Comment

Would it make sense for a sculptor to start carving a statue, and then hand it off to another sculptor for them to finish?

If you advocate switching coaches, take it to the other extreme. Why not switch coaches every week? Would that help the team? Of course not.

Building a team and learning which players need what kind of training can take time. The amount of time that it takes will depend on the team itself.

Comment

Just something to think about....not all coaches are most effective for all age groups. The skillsets that it takes to deal with a 15-year old girl are different than it takes for an 8-year old. So, I'm an advocate for keeping the group together for 2-3 years, then handing off for someone else, and then rotating back again.

Comment

Just something to think about....not all coaches are most effective for all age groups. The skillsets that it takes to deal with a 15-year old girl are different than it takes for an 8-year old. So, I'm an advocate for keeping the group together for 2-3 years, then handing off for someone else, and then rotating back again.
          Totally agree with that. One of my kids had one once who was horrible with younger kids. Clearly knew the game and was a former d1 player but the kids were miserable. We almost left but thankfully the club changed coaches just in time. He is now an assistant coach at a strong college program and seems to be doing well . And having two daughters I'm not sure I could handle teenage girls!

Comment

Would it make sense for a sculptor to start carving a statue, and then hand it off to another sculptor for them to finish?

If you advocate switching coaches, take it to the other extreme. Why not switch coaches every week? Would that help the team? Of course not.

Building a team and learning which players need what kind of training can take time. The amount of time that it takes will depend on the team itself.
            If the sculpture itself is lacking, a hand off may save the work.
            Not everybody is a great sculptor.

Comment

If your kid is just looking to have fun then I suppose it might make sense to follow the coach around if the kid is really comfortable with the coach. Of course there is a risk that you'll be buying new uniforms every year as the coach jumps around (and then that the coach won't actually be able to coach the kid because of the relevant rules). But if you want your kid to develop, then you'd want to play for different coaches over time, and I'd imagine any decent club is going to have the coaches for a given team change periodically.
              For NEP: and then that the coach won't actually be able to coach the kid because of the relevant rules

This rule is loosely enforced - WUP U18 just took their whole squad and coach over to Stars for there last year - same girls same coach...

Comment

I don't think it matters if you rotate coaches or not. In the end you will end up paying a lot of money to your club so your kid can be amediocre soccer player.

Comment

I don't think it matters if you rotate coaches or not. In the end you will end up paying a lot of money to your club so your kid can be amediocre soccer player.
                  The heart of the matter: who is to blame for a mediocre soccer player.
                  The player
                  The coach
                  The genes of the parents
                  a confluence of all of the above
                  or is each a separate issue and/or reason

Comment

The heart of the matter: who is to blame for a mediocre soccer player.
                    The player
                    The coach
                    The genes of the parents
                    a confluence of all of the above
                    or is each a separate issue and/or reason
                    Obviously, it depends on the player. There is no one answer that will fit every kid.

Who -- or what -- is to "blame" for a mediocre soccer player? Sometimes its the kid, who is not athletically talented at all, or is talented but doesn't have the drive, or is talented but lacks confidence. Or the coach, who kiss the kids' confidence, or can't teach. Or the parents for being overbearing and stamping out any joy for the player. Whatever. there are probably a thousand different reasons a player can be bad, and not all apply to every player.

Comment

So what? She gets out and gets a good amount of exercise 4-5 times per week. Builds camaraderie and teamwork, which is an essential life lesson needed for the working world. Plus, this single dad gets to hit on all the hot soccer moms.

Good stuff.

Comment

That's the danger of going to a club for the coach, not the club overall. You should be content with just about any coach they have because things can change and do. Problem is many clubs don't have decent DOCs who hire and train coaches and try to develop a club philosophy. They just hire mercenary style - individual hired guns. Stay away from that if possible.
                        Serious question- what clubs out there are actually fitted with a good DOC? its been our experiance that they all are ...... tools

Comment

Serious question- what clubs out there are actually fitted with a good DOC? its been our experiance that they all are ...... tools
                          Thanks for chiming in...

Comment

I would say NEFC - CH - and no, my child doesn't play for them. But he has coached her outside of club.

Comment

I would say NEFC - CH - and no, my child doesn't play for them. But he has coached her outside of club.
                              My guess is not one of us knows exactly what the DOC's responsibility is or how they carry out that responsibility in ANY club.
                              CH may be a great coach, but you have no idea what he's like as DOC.

But I'm sure that won't prevent pages of prognostication...

Comment

My guess is not one of us knows exactly what the DOC's responsibility is or how they carry out that responsibility in ANY club.
                                CH may be a great coach, but you have no idea what he's like as DOC.

But I'm sure that won't prevent pages of prognostication...
                                All NEFC top coaches stay at the club, teams they coach are successful and developing, talents keep coming in...all these are signs of a good DOC. Every body has some glitches. But NEFC seems to have less.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X