Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Goalie dad here. If your kid plays goal be prepared to buy a lot of gloves. Figure 4-5 pair a year easy.

Finger savers are good when the kids are younger. Some prefer the greater freedom of movement without them as they get older and their hands get stronger. But my kid suffered a severely sprained ring finger this fall and went back to a pair of finger saver Pumas.

I agree with an earlier poster to have a pair of game gloves and practice gloves. Buy a cheaper pair for practice. No way of getting around it though, they wear out more quickly than you'll like.
    I think 4-5 pairs is too much actually. You should be able to get by easily with 2, maybe three. What I find is that as my game glove wears out, that becomes my new practice gloves and I buy new game ones. If the gloves can't be used a decent practice then I buy a cheaper pair for practice. I personally don't mind having torn up gloves for practice because I focus a bit more on my technique so I hold onto the ball.

Comment

Why did you allow him to become a full-time keeper at age 9?
      He was a striker 6v6, and the 1st game of the U10 season the GK let in 7-8 goals in rapid succession and literally broke down in tears as he's walking off at the half. My son then volunteered to play goal, absolutely loved it. He made some out of the box challenges, saved a PK, and said he wanted to make the position his own.

I wasn't thrilled about it, but he trained as a position player during the week then would put on a pinney and jump in goal for the end-of-practice scrimmage and just had a knack at getting to balls. Took off from there.

Comment

I think 4-5 pairs is too much actually. You should be able to get by easily with 2, maybe three. What I find is that as my game glove wears out, that becomes my new practice gloves and I buy new game ones. If the gloves can't be used a decent practice then I buy a cheaper pair for practice. I personally don't mind having torn up gloves for practice because I focus a bit more on my technique so I hold onto the ball.
        I posted the first time about the finger savers/3 months. My keeper does the same - worn game gloves become practice gloves. Sometimes they're practically falling apart and we've resorted to duct tape from time to time. But it's practice and between team and GK practice he is practicing a lot. He wants to get rid of the finger savers for games because of the restriction issue someone mentioned but he understands they do really help and will continue with them at practice. I'd prefer he didn't as he's had recurring issues with a finger that was badly sprained playing basketball a few years ago. Might take another re-injury to change his mind back again since of course teenagers know everything lol

Comment

I was curious about the decision to play goal full time as well. All of the coaches that my son has had have been adamant that everyone play goal. He is also U12 and this is still the policy. They want everyone to get the perspective of being in goal. This isn't criticism, just curious about the different philosophies.
          Having field players play goal can be very beneficial, it allows them to see the game in a way an outfield player doesn't - plus gives an inherent appreciation for how difficult it is to play the position.

The coach for his town team checked with me to make sure I was on board with him playing there for the season and reluctantly said yes because he not only seemed to enjoy it, the team was better for it with a motivated GK who wanted to be in goal, otherwise the rotation would've continued, 25 minute halves at time.

His club team has dedicated GK's beginning in the U10 season though, and that's where his position specific training really ramped up. Mustapha Achab was his keeper coach that season, he used to be the GK for Morocco in the 1990's - anyway great person and coach. He's run GK training for several clubs in the region and my son learned an incredible amount from him, so that was a big contributing factor as well in him dedicating himself to being a GK.

With regard to burnout - I'm with you. We love soccer as a family (calcio in our house) and now that it's the only sport he plays 5x per week, it's a genuine concern. But he wakes up on his own to watch Spurs Chelsea at 6:30am on a Saturday, and instead of playing on a device he's outside trying to break his juggling record. So we encourage his pursuit of something he loves, but are extra mindful not to apply pressure on him to play - and especially to perform. That's the key in my opinion, he just loves to play and compete and I don't want the fun component to get stamped out for him.

Comment

Parent of the other BU12 keeper that posted earlier. (Not the Tae Kwon Do parent.)

Here's the thing, not all 11 year olds are created equal. Some are more mature than others. Some have been exposed to more than others. Have an older sibling that plays soccer? The younger sibling is typically more advanced.

My U12 son is also extremely into the position. Has been for years. As in U6 standing in front of the pop up net when there weren't supposed to be keepers. We pushed back on dedication last year at U11. We're still somewhat pushing back. But the truth is, he has a love for the position and a natural talent for it.

He'll likely play keep full time club next year, and if he's able to play MS - he'll play as a field player.

Regarding burn out - was always a constant worry for us. But here's the thing - he wants to play ALL THE TIME. He asks when practice is and if we can go early or stay late. I'm not dragging him there. He asks for extra clinics/camps/training. We do not make him do anything. Ever. I think burn out happens more for the kids who just aren't that into it or who are being encouraged/even forced to play.

He still plays basketball and we've encouraged him to keep that up as we feel that multiple sports is best for overall development. It also helps curb burnout. And basketball/keeper benefit each other.

Regarding keeper gloves, we've stuck with the Adidas FingerSave Junior gloves. They are $39.99 and last a season with good use. Those then become the practice gloves and we get a new pair.

We like them for the FingerSaves and because they are pretty soft. My 11 year old doesn't have extremely strong hands/fingers.

We have a Reusch FingerSave pair that are a little stiffer and more difficult to work with. Those were probably $50-$60.

Lastly - my son has ADHD. Not the H part. But the attention part. One of the traits of those with ADD is extreme focus on what interests them. Another trait is that they are extreme risk takers. Both traits lend themselves nicely to the position. I've come to realize that a lot of keepers also have ADHD.

I think this thread has been great and hope it continues despite the people that feel the need to be negative. I've learned a lot and it's been extremely helpful.

Comment

Field play

Insist that your child play the field as long as possible, and also make sure s/he is involved in all the passing drills (not off in the corner training alone) at team practices. As they get older, GK's are expected to have quick, competent feet, and be ready for pass-backs and distribution. Don't let them only focus on the shot-stopping, which is often the emphasis of the middle years when they've already specialized as GK, but might not be getting the best training. Parents, teach your child to be his/her own best coach/advocate.

Comment

For what age? It can be hard to find a game glove that'll last a long time. Personally I like uhlsport gloves, but that's my biased opinion as its what I've used my whole career aside from a pair of reush's and Nike's that were pretty good, and a pair of sells which was absolutely atroucious.
                I used Uhlies and sometimes NIkes as well when I played GK in the OTHSL. I'd replace them every season. I was tough on them. Used to dampen them up with Coca Cola before the game. Kind of like pine tar or stickum. Improved the grip but killed the material....

- Cujo

Comment

I agree, most of the time a full extension dive is done because the GK is out of position but not always.
                  Meh..... The GK is always faced with a dilemma - play back a little and protect the short side and give up a little far side. Strikers are typically trained to shoot far side and low but if you give them too much short side a smart striker will take advantage. Coming off the line obviously cuts down both options for the shooter but leaves you vulnerable to a chip or if there is an unmarked player on your blindside you are dead in the water. As a keeper it is really a matter of picking your poison. I played GK in the OTHSL at a relatively high level (D2) in the O-30 league and there were a lot of quality forwards.

One of the problems in youth soccer is that there is so much movement and turnover that you rarely see the same players multiple times. After 3-4 years in OTHSL I knew many of the opposing teams tendencies. On another note don't discount the need for agility and the ability to make diving saves. You are going to see PK's and positioning doesn't amount to squat. You have two options - the 50/50 guess or read and react. I had a PK save ratio of over 60% during my time in the OTHSL which was wholly attributed to my ability to read the shooter from experience and eye hand and reaction time. Any assertion in this forum that those skills are unimportant and that the GK is a glorified sweeper is a gross misread of the fundamental realities of the game.

- Cujo

Comment

I used Uhlies and sometimes NIkes as well when I played GK in the OTHSL. I'd replace them every season. I was tough on them. Used to dampen them up with Coca Cola before the game. Kind of like pine tar or stickum. Improved the grip but killed the material....

- Cujo
                    Interesting. Though I wouldn't recommend that for a younger GK or anyone really. Some water or spitting on them does enough for the grip for me and should be for everyone else. That is an interesting method though.

Comment

I wouldn't say the only time a goalkeeper needs to dive is when they are out of position, that's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. There are going to be times when you are positioned perfectly but there is enough force behind the ball or placement that you are going to have to take a step to the left or right and release and make a diving stop. It's that simple. All the positioning in the world isn't going to stop you from having to dive, particularly as you get older. At the younger levels when there isn't as much skill and finesse, certainly positioning is paramount and maybe you won't have to dive as much, but that won't be the case once you get older.

Position of keeper is slowly be revolutionized in my opinion though. They aren't glorified sweepers, but much more is being asked of them in terms of getting their team out of trouble with their feet and cutting out some passes in behind. Pepe Reina and Manuel Neuer are the two that have done it best and both should be considered legends by their clubs. A keeper is no longer just expected to make saves, and if you can teach your young keeper to be good with his feet at a young age and to read the play to intercept through balls, he will be miles ahead other keepers.

Comment

I wouldn't say the only time a goalkeeper needs to dive is when they are out of position, that's pretty ridiculous if you ask me. There are going to be times when you are positioned perfectly but there is enough force behind the ball or placement that you are going to have to take a step to the left or right and release and make a diving stop. It's that simple. All the positioning in the world isn't going to stop you from having to dive, particularly as you get older. At the younger levels when there isn't as much skill and finesse, certainly positioning is paramount and maybe you won't have to dive as much, but that won't be the case once you get older.

Position of keeper is slowly be revolutionized in my opinion though. They aren't glorified sweepers, but much more is being asked of them in terms of getting their team out of trouble with their feet and cutting out some passes in behind. Pepe Reina and Manuel Neuer are the two that have done it best and both should be considered legends by their clubs. A keeper is no longer just expected to make saves, and if you can teach your young keeper to be good with his feet at a young age and to read the play to intercept through balls, he will be miles ahead other keepers.
                        No matter how you slice it, diving is necessary with good positioning or not. Balls skip off the ground, get redirected, etc... so a keeper needs to be agile.
                        The position has evolved from shot stopper to much more, I thing Neuer is a little aggressive and while he makes some tremendous saves and interceptions he does get burned quite often by playing so high.
                        I agree, a keeper with foot skills, attacking through balls instead of backing up to his/her line and fearlessness on crosses will put them in a good position to succeed as a GK.

Comment

No matter how you slice it, diving is necessary with good positioning or not. Balls skip off the ground, get redirected, etc... so a keeper needs to be agile.
                          The position has evolved from shot stopper to much more, I thing Neuer is a little aggressive and while he makes some tremendous saves and interceptions he does get burned quite often by playing so high.
                          I agree, a keeper with foot skills, attacking through balls instead of backing up to his/her line and fearlessness on crosses will put them in a good position to succeed as a GK.
                          Exactly, good points.

In the case of Neuer, he's sort of like a pioneer playing like that so of course he's going to make mistakes, it's an unrefined style of play, but he's paving the way for years to come in my opinion.

Comment

Lastly - my son has ADHD. Not the H part. But the attention part. One of the traits of those with ADD is extreme focus on what interests them. Another trait is that they are extreme risk takers. Both traits lend themselves nicely to the position. I've come to realize that a lot of keepers also have ADHD.
                            Huh, I didn't know that -- and my 16 year old goalkeeper also has ADHD! (Also w/o the "H"). Besides the hyperfocus, I also thought the ability to forget things was a plus in this position -- it is maybe easier for them to forget about the goal, and focus on what's coming next.

Comment

Other topic - punting vs distributing? My HS keeper plays high level club with good training. She has a rare HS coach who actually knows what he's doing and encourages playing the ball back and her distributing when the occasion calls for it. My kid almost always starts but she was injured for a few weeks this season and the next GK in line never distributes, only punts. She can punt the cr*p out of a ball but has no accuracy and inevitably loses the ball when she punts it right to a heap of opposing players. Naturally the team parents ooh and awe over how far she punts it. I just bite my tongue.

Comment

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't think my kid is a stud.... however I have an observation and want to see if anyone else has seen this.

My son is 13, loves playing GK and got attached to that position as a U11. He's gotten gk training at his club since he was a rising U12 but he still plays the field for town and middle school. However, what I've noticed is that he's very nonchalant and relaxed so during tryouts he appears to not be trying very hard. Other kids are diving all over the place and making kick saves while my son is generally in the right position and is making routine saves look routine. Same can be said for matches, while he's into the game and vocal he's looking very relaxed. He's doing fine, I haven't said anything to him but I'm concerned that coaches later may see this as a detriment during showcases or tryouts. Anyone else see this with their child?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X