X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Play for a weaker team in a tough division. You want to see lots of shots and be tested.

Eye hand coordination and agility are essential. Two good drills:

1) stand behind the keeper and toss tennis ball over the shoulder at various heights angles and locations. Start high and then work down. Then decrease the size of the target. Ending with a bag of frozen peas... (yes peas, Manny Ramirez used to hit soft tossed frozen peas with a broom stick to improve eye/hand.)

2) have player land on ground, first on back then on belly, alternate. Bounce the soccer ball next to the keeper and have them get onto their feet and secure the ball. Start with high bounces and decrease height gradually.

There are many other great drills but when I coached GK's they were two of the best.

Make sure player is adequately warmed up before doing #2.

- Cujo
    Thanks! These sound great. I can envision #2--a variation on something we already do.

As for #1, having a hard time. I stand behind GK, him facing away, and toss tennis ball over his shoulder, right? He tries to react and catch it before it hits the ground? As keeper gets better, you go smaller (golf balls and eventually peas)?

Thanks for your help. These sound like a great way to change it up.

Comment

GK

I'm curious about this last point. I've got a boy, sophomore, starting the process. I've heard contradictory reports about keepers getting recruited much later, others much earlier (I know boys in general are later than girls). Also, he chose to play HS+high level club, not DAP. He's a bit concerned about getting enough exposure this route. His club team historically has attended good showcases but sometimes things can happen. Should he try to guest roster at others?

We've been through the process with another sport/girl but GK is so specific and seemingly unique - any advice is appreciated.
      Our keeper was recruited later than his peers. One coach told me they like to see what height/size the keeper is going to reach. He was "on the radar" of a few coaches by end of sophomore spring, but didn't actually start any serious talking or planning of recruiting visits until junior spring or summer before senior year.

Another college coach told me they only recruit a keeper every 2nd or 3rd year. There were schools/programs that might otherwise have been a good fit, but because they had sophomore and freshmen GKs who were on a positive trajectory, bringing in another GK was not a priority. When they need a GK, however, they NEED one. It seems to be either to your advantage or disadvantage; never in between!

Comment

Our keeper was recruited later than his peers. One coach told me they like to see what height/size the keeper is going to reach. He was "on the radar" of a few coaches by end of sophomore spring, but didn't actually start any serious talking or planning of recruiting visits until junior spring or summer before senior year.

Another college coach told me they only recruit a keeper every 2nd or 3rd year. There were schools/programs that might otherwise have been a good fit, but because they had sophomore and freshmen GKs who were on a positive trajectory, bringing in another GK was not a priority. When they need a GK, however, they NEED one. It seems to be either to your advantage or disadvantage; never in between!
        That's where it's important to look at rosters and see where a team's future GK needs might be. If your kid is a sophomore now look for rosters with young keepers - they'll be winding down just as yours is coming in. It definitely makes it trickier for recruiting and they may be left with fewer options than say a versatile field player.

Comment

My GK recently "moved up" to a much stronger team and is much better for it. While she saw some benefits of frequently getting shelled on a weaker team, it still drove her nuts. She got tired of so many mistakes being made before the ball got to her. Often times her teammates wouldn't listen to her. The level of competitive play and seriousness of her teammates/coach has made it a better fit with what she was looking for. The training at the new club has been very good and we've seen a big improvement already in her skills and now she wants to do some private training as well. GK training is nonexistent to lack luster at many clubs, so it seems like if you're really serious about the position you're probably going to be paying extra.
          Could not disagree with you more. Maybe losing all the time sux, but knowing how to identify things like a defender losing her mark, or a player not tailing in behind the free space of the 1st def, or attacker strategies/tendencies(i.e. long over the top, playing to corners) A fearless keeper with exceptional footwork and that can communicate and prevent those things from happening can even the playing field real quick. And you won't learn that swatting peas away.

Comment

If getting bombarded is all a GK needs may he needs some training on that. To play for a weaker team so he can get some shots all the time is useless. Winning is a habit, unfortunately so is losing. I've seen decent GKs losing their confidence because their teams lose all the time and yes usually players in from of them are weak and can careless about organization and communication. A great GK needs a good team.

Comment

Could not disagree with you more. Maybe losing all the time sux, but knowing how to identify things like a defender losing her mark, or a player not tailing in behind the free space of the 1st def, or attacker strategies/tendencies(i.e. long over the top, playing to corners) A fearless keeper with exceptional footwork and that can communicate and prevent those things from happening can even the playing field real quick. And you won't learn that swatting peas away.
              Keeper shouldn't be getting their training in games. That's what practice is for

Being a good keeper on a bad team can

Lead to bad habits
              Develop non trust in defenders to do their role (shield, clear, etc)
              Kill their morale. Why try if I am getting beat
              Suck their love of the game

Comment

99% of the clowns here haven't any idea what it takes to develop a keeper so anyone following their advice gets what they paid for, which is bumpkie

Comment

Play for a weaker team in a tough division. You want to see lots of shots and be tested.

Eye hand coordination and agility are essential. Two good drills:

1) stand behind the keeper and toss tennis ball over the shoulder at various heights angles and locations. Start high and then work down. Then decrease the size of the target. Ending with a bag of frozen peas... (yes peas, Manny Ramirez used to hit soft tossed frozen peas with a broom stick to improve eye/hand.)

2) have player land on ground, first on back then on belly, alternate. Bounce the soccer ball next to the keeper and have them get onto their feet and secure the ball. Start with high bounces and decrease height gradually.

There are many other great drills but when I coached GK's they were two of the best.

Make sure player is adequately warmed up before doing #2.

- Cujo
                  There is an awful lot of misguided advice here.

Being a good keeper is a lot about mental attitude. Being on a crappy team so you can see a lot of shots also means you end up giving up a lot of goals. Very bad for a keepers psyche.

Also this advice is based upon the old and out of date thinking that a keeper is primarily just a shot stopper because all he focuses on is their reactions and eye hand coordination. The thinking today is if you have to make an acrobatic save it usually means you are out of position.

Keeper's today are more like the sweepers of yesterday who get to use their hands. They generally play much higher and are expected to have a much wider range than keepers of old. They are also expected to be the quarterback of the team and are responsible for not only the teams defensive shape but also for reading the opponents pressure and initiating the attack with their distribution.

Comment

And many of us couldn't disagree with you more. You can work on footwork and taking shots in practice/on your own. Playing at a higher level requires faster thinking and different mind set. Your teammates are more likely to listen to you. Your coach is more likely to respect you and care and out your development. You're more likely to get better training. You're less likely to get injured constantly diving after 30+ shots on goal. You'll have defenders who will defend their keeper, not stand by and watch him/her get flattened. You won't go home deflated and frustrated.

One solution is to do travel and club at the same time if you can swing the time/$$. Same with HS and club. Different game style, big differences in talent

Comment

99% of the clowns here haven't any idea what it takes to develop a keeper so anyone following their advice gets what they paid for, which is bumpkie
                      Not bad for TS standards. 3 pages of decent conversation until the first D bag chimes in to ruin the thread and send it South. Thanks for the input.

For all the posters giving good input, ignore this jerk.

Comment

Being a good keeper is a lot about mental attitude. Being on a crappy team so you can see a lot of shots also means you end up giving up a lot of goals. Very bad for a keepers psyche.

Also this advice is based upon the old and out of date thinking that a keeper is primarily just a shot stopper because all he focuses on is their reactions and eye hand coordination. The thinking today is if you have to make an acrobatic save it usually means you are out of position.

Keeper's today are more like the sweepers of yesterday who get to use their hands. They generally play much higher and are expected to have a much wider range than keepers of old. They are also expected to be the quarterback of the team and are responsible for not only the teams defensive shape but also for reading the opponents pressure and initiating the attack with their distribution.
                        Totally agree, if you child is on a club that sees a GK as a shot stopper their upside is going to be capped by poor training and under utilization in games. Like the poster above states, today's keeper is much more involved in both defending and initiating counter attacks.

Comment

Thanks, BTNT. Helpful.

Comment

With two keepers on a team how is the keeper rotation handled at older age groups 14 and higher

Splitting halves or alternating games
                            I don't know how it is at other clubs but I am on a u16 boys NPL tea and here's the breakdown.

In state tournaments: split halves
                            Out of state: split halves or starter plays first or last 10 in the second half
                            NPL/state cup: Starter plays first half. If he is off the backup goes in at half. If the game becomes a blowout the back up goes in for the last 20 and if it's close the starter stays in.

Comment

I don't know how it is at other clubs but I am on a u16 boys NPL tea and here's the breakdown.

In state tournaments: split halves
                              Out of state: split halves or starter plays first or last 10 in the second half
                              NPL/state cup: Starter plays first half. If he is off the backup goes in at half. If the game becomes a blowout the back up goes in for the last 20 and if it's close the starter stays in.
                              Ours is 50/50 no matter what. Only thing that varies is who starts, which tends to be almost evenly split. That's a club that cares about developing two keepers vs winning no matter what (because yes one is significantly stronger than the other). I know that isn't reflective of what will happen in college but for training it's great. My D is the HS starter and the poor backups never see the field unless the team is up by 4 or 5 at the half - or senior night.

Comment

So I think there is a middle ground.

If the team is awesome and the keeper never sees the ball, that can't be good for development. Especially at the younger ages.

My U12 son is on a losing team. I posted prior. I think the weak team (in addition to learning proper technique in club keeper training sessions) has been instrumental in his recent growth.

He gets pelted constantly and it has only increased his confidence. He's kept our team IN games losing by 2 when they could have easily lost by 10.

Now he may be the exception to the rule. We've been told he is extremely mentally tough for his age. We've told him that he has to be if he wants to play the position.

It's his choice. Not ours. And he loves it. Quite frankly, I don't get it. You have to be some kind of crazy I think.

If your kid is getting pelted and can't handle it mentally at say U12 and on, it might not be the position for them.

Kids are mean. Give it a few years and opposing players WILL get in your kids ear. They already do.

What drives my son is when he makes a close range save and the shooter yells F****! Best confidence builder. :)

In regards to the prior poster who recommended clinics at this age - thanks! We'll look into that and save the private training for a littler further down the line.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X