Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I totally agree. I would love to have my daughter play for a really solid female coach for a lot of reasons. I think our club has 2.
    Is One of the reason being sexist? My daughter plays for a male coach, he is excellent, role model, respectful and he teaches her so much. I don't think she really cares about anything else. Solid female? What do you mean? Not lesbian?

Comment

All successful?
      I'd say most are, especially the B schools...and Aliceann Wilber and Martha Whiting...and Mt Holyoke had a pretty good season, and the others have all enjoyed some sort of success during their tenures...

Are all male coaches successful?

Comment

I'd say most are, especially the B schools...and Aliceann Wilber and Martha Whiting...and Mt Holyoke had a pretty good season, and the others have all enjoyed some sort of success during their tenures...

Are all male coaches successful?
        Coaching is wrong profession to have the war of sexes. If you are a good coach it has nothing to do with gender. Come on people.

Comment

Coaching is wrong profession to have the war of sexes. If you are a good coach it has nothing to do with gender. Come on people.
          I agree but wonder what the right profession for the war of the sexes is? If you are good at your job, you're good at your job. Right?

Comment

Is One of the reason being sexist? My daughter plays for a male coach, he is excellent, role model, respectful and he teaches her so much. I don't think she really cares about anything else. Solid female? What do you mean? Not lesbian?
            I have two athletic daughters and we've had a few female coaches - one was just awful and that had nothing to do with gender. The other two (one soccer, one another sport) were very good and connected with my daughters in ways male coaches never did. My D's felt they were tough but fair and my kids felt comfortable asking them questions and going to them with issues. Both came at a time when my daughters were going through lots with middle school drama, body changes...times that aren't easy to navigate when you're 12-14ish. One had come from a bad situation with a screaming male coach who crushed her confidence - so much so she thought about dropping out altogether. A year later you'd never think it was the same kid. We were very grateful that those women were involved with our kids when they were. Could they have survived with male coaches? Probably. But it was better than just surviving.

There are good and bad on both sides. Gender isn't the only thing. But considering women make up half our population and play a lot of soccer it would be nice to see more women in the coaching role. I think it is getting better but has a long way to go. It is important that you find a coach that is a good fit for your kid's learning style

Comment

I agree but wonder what the right profession for the war of the sexes is? If you are good at your job, you're good at your job. Right?
              Ageee. Some people here are making it as just a mere matter of ratio between males and females coaching. It is up to female gender to invest more (education and number) if they want to be dominant in this profession. Blaming who is hiring is pure ignorance.

Comment

I just posted the long post above - I agree that the actual coaching JOB doesn't matter. We've had lots of good and bad coaches of both genders. But I do think with female players there is a different experience having a female coach.

Comment

I just posted the long post above - I agree that the actual coaching JOB doesn't matter. We've had lots of good and bad coaches of both genders. But I do think with female players there is a different experience having a female coach.
                  And the difference is being able to tell the coach it is time of the month, going through boys issues, body changing, etc. Your parenting could improve also so your different experience can be just sports related. Perhaps you are mistaken parenting, guidance counselling with coaching. Don't lose the sight that coaching is related to sport, being competitive and playing through some adversities.
                  So Geno Auriemma ( Uconn w's basketball coach) would be a better coach if he was female.

Comment

And the difference is being able to tell the coach it is time of the month, going through boys issues, body changing, etc. Your parenting could improve also so your different experience can be just sports related. Perhaps you are mistaken parenting, guidance counselling with coaching. Don't lose the sight that coaching is related to sport, being competitive and playing through some adversities.
                    So Geno Auriemma ( Uconn w's basketball coach) would be a better coach if he was female.
                    - signed a man's man

Comment

- signed a man's man
                      Nope.
                      Signed- Someone that believes that coaching is set of skills regardless the gender.

Comment

matter of time, but going to take some time

This is a multidimensional issue, but the long story short is that it's going to take a little time, but the sport will eventually be full of female coaches.

Some random thoughts in no particular order:

1) Peter Principle an issue - Many players and families have had their opinions about female coaches soured by the fact that good players don't necessarily make good coaches. Because there's a demand for female coaches, a lot of bad choices were made. Childhood is limited as is money, so families seek the safety of a good male coach after a bad experience with the one female coach they played for. Eventually, females just like males will be promoted for the right reasons.

2) Smaller pool of good candidates doing other things - If the number of boys interested in coaching is larger because coaching is historically a male domain, the actual number of girls interested in coaching is small, and as a result, the brain drain to more lucrative careers makes a bigger dent. Look at your current crop of very strong players, there is no real professional playing path, so they are conditioned to think that the path is college and then a career in something else. They're going into businesses and becoming doctors. Eventually there will be enough great female leaders who look into coaching, but for now most of the best candidates aren't interested.

3) Babies take time, and career oriented women are trying to have their families and high stakes careers at the same time. There simply isn't also the time for coaching. Men obviously are less saddled with the burden of carrying infants.

4) Fewer coaches to make up for bad mentors. Most good coaches also have good mentors to model behaviors. There are enough men interested in coaching that there are a greater number are able to learn despite having bad mentors.

5) Fewer lazy underachievers. Right now, for example, a lot of coaches are men who never grew up, don't want to put on a suit and tie and work a 9-5 job. There are women like that too, but far more men. As coaching becomes more professional, more women will want to be involved. And as more women feel empowered to also be lazy and unmotivated, they'll also be attracted to coaching!

It's complex, but just as there are more successful females in management or executive positions in the business world, the same evolution in gender equity will happen in this industry. It's just a matter of time.

Comment

Agree it is an issue. Look at even one of the best girls clubs...

http://www.nefc.us/seniorstaff

Seems like a "boys club" to me... You can do better than that!!!
                          Girls are just marter than the guys. They would never think coaching premier kids is a "career enhancer" unless its a sideline gig from their college coaching job. Take a look at the DI figures and you'll see women are very well represented in the major sports girls play. In some sports, the women coaches utterly dominate:
                          Data from across 6 FBS Div 1 schools:
                          - Basketball - 60% female coaches
                          - Lacrosse - 93% female coaches
                          - Softball - 72%
                          - Field Hockey - 100%
                          - Soccer - 25%
                          - Tennis - 42%
                          - Volleyball - 40%

Not only that, women hold 70% of the "Director of Operations" positions at the same schools studied in the NCAA report.

Sure, soccer is a lower percent....but how come the women aren't making room for male coaches in sports like Lacrosse and Field Hockey? Are men being discriminated against?

Comment

This is a multidimensional issue, but the long story short is that it's going to take a little time, but the sport will eventually be full of female coaches.

Some random thoughts in no particular order:

1) Peter Principle an issue - Many players and families have had their opinions about female coaches soured by the fact that good players don't necessarily make good coaches. Because there's a demand for female coaches, a lot of bad choices were made. Childhood is limited as is money, so families seek the safety of a good male coach after a bad experience with the one female coach they played for. Eventually, females just like males will be promoted for the right reasons.

2) Smaller pool of good candidates doing other things - If the number of boys interested in coaching is larger because coaching is historically a male domain, the actual number of girls interested in coaching is small, and as a result, the brain drain to more lucrative careers makes a bigger dent. Look at your current crop of very strong players, there is no real professional playing path, so they are conditioned to think that the path is college and then a career in something else. They're going into businesses and becoming doctors. Eventually there will be enough great female leaders who look into coaching, but for now most of the best candidates aren't interested.

3) Babies take time, and career oriented women are trying to have their families and high stakes careers at the same time. There simply isn't also the time for coaching. Men obviously are less saddled with the burden of carrying infants.

4) Fewer coaches to make up for bad mentors. Most good coaches also have good mentors to model behaviors. There are enough men interested in coaching that there are a greater number are able to learn despite having bad mentors.

5) Fewer lazy underachievers. Right now, for example, a lot of coaches are men who never grew up, don't want to put on a suit and tie and work a 9-5 job. There are women like that too, but far more men. As coaching becomes more professional, more women will want to be involved. And as more women feel empowered to also be lazy and unmotivated, they'll also be attracted to coaching!

It's complex, but just as there are more successful females in management or executive positions in the business world, the same evolution in gender equity will happen in this industry. It's just a matter of time.
                            Dude you hit the nail on the head with #5. Most coaches are loser men who never matured past high school and never wanted a real job and were blessed to grow up in a sports crazy culture where they can make real money and get "respect" despite being the underachieving high school retard they really are.

Comment

Dude you hit the nail on the head with #5. Most coaches are loser men who never matured past high school and never wanted a real job and were blessed to grow up in a sports crazy culture where they can make real money and get "respect" despite being the underachieving high school retard they really are.
                              And we thank you every day for writing the cheque, dude, although it is far from real money.
                              I make that using your back door...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X