Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Beyond low............have the guts and name the school.
    That wouldn't take guts more like poor judgement and acting inappropriatly.

Comment

Oh sure. You want my social security number too? How about I just put a "bully me" sign on my daughters uniform.
      But you will go out and post on her and talk behind their backs to other parents. Coward.

Comment

AD's should only get involved in team affairs when 1)safety (physical or emotional) is an issue - and I mean legitimately an issue 2) student athletes face disciplinary issues.

Parents can gripe all they want to AD's, but good ADs will stuff their suggestions right into the garbage. Parents need to understand a school's goals for athletics is very big picture. It isn't to showboat their "superstar" kids. Unfortunately many schools have ADs with no spine
        This Connecticut AD sounds way too over-involved. It was ridiculous for these parents to go before the Board of Ed to complain about the way that the captain voting took place, but it was equally ridiculous for the AD to demand that a re-vote occur in the first place.

The Board of Ed does not have time for such selfish nonsense and an AD doesn't either. Why would an AD even want to be involved in something so petty and juvenile?

Comment

Not sarcasm in the least. It was an incredibly ignorant question at best. If you've never coached captains, been a captain, it's ignorant. If you have, but still feel that way, I feel sorry for you, because ignorance is no longer an excuse.
          Maybe the reason I thought this response was sarcastic is that my coaching experience is very limited--town rec; off-season club (indoor/odd tournament)--so I haven't had exposure to mature players who can really understand the responsibilities and qualities of a good captain. Hence my agreement that the coach is the boss and she leads the team. I also had pretty poor captains in my HS playing days--we voted in the best player plus a kid who captained two other sports and wanted the 3rd season captaincy for the resume. Neither kid was a leader, and our team suffered for the lack. I used to assume our poor season (we were better than our record--classic underachievers) was down to our clueless coach, but maybe the captain thing matters more than I thought.

Comment

The Worst Captains Each Year----Why?

Maybe the reason I thought this response was sarcastic is that my coaching experience is very limited--town rec; off-season club (indoor/odd tournament)--so I haven't had exposure to mature players who can really understand the responsibilities and qualities of a good captain. Hence my agreement that the coach is the boss and she leads the team. I also had pretty poor captains in my HS playing days--we voted in the best player plus a kid who captained two other sports and wanted the 3rd season captaincy for the resume. Neither kid was a leader, and our team suffered for the lack. I used to assume our poor season (we were better than our record--classic underachievers) was down to our clueless coach, but maybe the captain thing matters more than I thought.
            I agree with this response, and some others. Unless the captains are good leaders and an extension of the coach, they can have a negative influence on the team. Also, they are not just leaders on the team, the captains are looked up to by the sub-varsity teams, as well as the younger players in town. They shouldn't be ones to cut corners when the coach isn't looking, trash talking & showing poor sportsmanship, and undertaking questionable behavior off the field. All to often, the popularity contest tends to be the best player, or the loudest one (trash talker), or the party type. Better care and diligence should go into the captains selection.

Comment

So a limited and anecdotal experience shaped your conclusion? Fair, and sounds like I was right.

In your own experience and reflecting upon it, you highlight, aside from referring to your "clueless" coach, that (a) the captain matters and (b) your team, in its youthful ignorance, didn't vote for captains based on what makes a good captain.

The coach is the boss. Teams captains lead in a different, but complementary way. There are bad coaches, there are bad parents, there are bad captains too. Your argument would appear to be that based on the worst exception we rid ourselves of them. I've seen teams that could certainly lead themselves and perform better without their coach at all. That's an indictment of the person in that role, not the role itself in its best form.

Comment

I agree with this response, and some others. Unless the captains are good leaders and an extension of the coach, they can have a negative influence on the team.
                No way! That's really shocking to hear.

Comment

This Connecticut story is more about helicopter parenting than anything else. I agree that the AD seems like a dolt to get involved with choosing captains, but the mom and dad taking this issue before the Board of Education is the definition of helicopter parenting.

Comment

This Connecticut story is more about helicopter parenting than anything else. I agree that the AD seems like a dolt to get involved with choosing captains, but the mom and dad taking this issue before the Board of Education is the definition of helicopter parenting.
                    True and true.

Comment

Watch out, Holy Cross! The helicopter from CT will be landing on your field in a few months.

Comment

I agree with this response, and some others. Unless the captains are good leaders and an extension of the coach, they can have a negative influence on the team. Also, they are not just leaders on the team, the captains are looked up to by the sub-varsity teams, as well as the younger players in town. They shouldn't be ones to cut corners when the coach isn't looking, trash talking & showing poor sportsmanship, and undertaking questionable behavior off the field. All to often, the popularity contest tends to be the best player, or the loudest one (trash talker), or the party type. Better care and diligence should go into the captains selection.
                        only ina perfect world!
                        Our captain gets off campus summons for underage drinking and only gets community service.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X