Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I second this! Have some kind of competition where teams compete locally if successful regionally and then at the end of the year nationally. I will buy it.
    No, I mean a true rec league. You play your 8 to 10 games a season and have a pizza party at the end. Still have promotion/relegation to keep play even but keep it low cost and have no overriding purpose other than to be a venue for kids to have fun. That would cover about 90% of the teams out there.

Comment

Originally posted by yepyepyep View Post
      No, I mean a true rec league. You play your 8 to 10 games a season and have a pizza party at the end. Still have promotion/relegation to keep play even but keep it low cost and have no overriding purpose other than to be a venue for kids to have fun. That would cover about 90% of the teams out there.
      AYSO does that already. Very low cost, equal PT, etc. For many it works - on the West Coast it's a much bigger program. But then many others get caught up in travel, and then premier....Travel has it's place. So does premier for highly talented players. It's that wide overlap band between travel and premier that needs to shift back down to primarily travel. Rec and travel should be left as is the with the age changes. It benefits no one at that level and many kids really do just want to play with their friends/classmates. Let it be.

Comment

What a putz. I can be objective and it isn't just my kid it is the entire team. If the team gets hit with the flu or something fine bring them but don't give them playing tome at the REAL teams expense. Speed of play - your a tool.
        There's a reason they don't bring up your "REAL" team members to play on the first team. It's speed of play. You don't know what you don't know. That's unfortunate but typical. Your snazzy use of all caps to highlight the REAL team pretty much seals the deal on lack of objectivity from you. Happy holidays.

Comment

AYSO does that already. Very low cost, equal PT, etc. For many it works - on the West Coast it's a much bigger program. But then many others get caught up in travel, and then premier....Travel has it's place. So does premier for highly talented players. It's that wide overlap band between travel and premier that needs to shift back down to primarily travel. Rec and travel should be left as is the with the age changes. It benefits no one at that level and many kids really do just want to play with their friends/classmates. Let it be.
          Back to my first point we need a group like AYSO, or AYSO itself, to split off from US Soccer so they can ignore the new age group mandates. I'm all for the small-sided stuff (though no keeper at U8 is a stretch IMO) but the age group changes have zero benefits to all but the top 0.01%. In fact, it's detrimental to many.

Comment

There's a reason they don't bring up your "REAL" team members to play on the first team. It's speed of play. You don't know what you don't know. That's unfortunate but typical. Your snazzy use of all caps to highlight the REAL team pretty much seals the deal on lack of objectivity from you. Happy holidays.
            Maybe you are confused. They bring "elite" players down to play on lower team when we have plenty of subs. I have had kids play at pretty much all the levels so save your you don't know insights for yourself. You tried to say elite players don't look as good when they play down due to speed of play... and probably you think the lower players are too stupid to support the elite players properly.
            If your a coach doing this - STOP. Happy Holidays.

Comment

you are probably the pretentious parent of an "elite" player

Comment

Maybe you are confused. They bring "elite" players down to play on lower team when we have plenty of subs. I have had kids play at pretty much all the levels so save your you don't know insights for yourself. You tried to say elite players don't look as good when they play down due to speed of play... and probably you think the lower players are too stupid to support the elite players properly.
                If your a coach doing this - STOP. Happy Holidays.
                I get it. They bring "elite" players down so the lower team has a chance to win because the normal players, and most definitely the subs, aren't capable of getting the job done. It's not something that I condone by the way. You are correct in saying that many "elite"(your word by the way) players can become frustrated playing with a less talented team. Speed of play can be part of the problem, as well as the lack of tactical awareness and field vision of the players. If you need this explained to you I'll be happy to oblige.

Many times coaches bring "elite" players down to shut up the cry-baby delusional parents on the lower team. Only the legit rubes continue to complain after that. Those are the kids that get cut the next year so the coach doesn't have to deal with the parents anymore. It's a shame that a parent can so adversely effect their child's path in club soccer.

Comment

I get it. They bring "elite" players down so the lower team has a chance to win because the normal players, and most definitely the subs, aren't capable of getting the job done. It's not something that I condone by the way. You are correct in saying that many "elite"(your word by the way) players can become frustrated playing with a less talented team. Speed of play can be part of the problem, as well as the lack of tactical awareness and field vision of the players. If you need this explained to you I'll be happy to oblige.

Many times coaches bring "elite" players down to shut up the cry-baby delusional parents on the lower team. Only the legit rubes continue to complain after that. Those are the kids that get cut the next year so the coach doesn't have to deal with the parents anymore. It's a shame that a parent can so adversely effect their child's path in club soccer.

You are brilliant!

There ought to be a league just for slow, untalented, tactically unaware with poor field vision players. Maybe they could play at night when nobody is around so we don't have to see them.

Comment

you are probably the pretentious parent of an "elite" player
                    What you erroneously refer to as "pretentious" I would characterize as "informed." I've had four boys go through the soccer system. One is currently playing Academy, one is in the NPL and another is currently on a 2nd team. The oldest has aged out. I'm not candy coating anything because there's no need to. It's fine with me if you don't agree with my perspective. Just because you don't like what you're reading doesn't make what I say any less honest. Keep that in mind.

Comment

You are brilliant!

There ought to be a league just for slow, untalented, tactically unaware with poor field vision players. Maybe they could play at night when nobody is around so we don't have to see them.
                      Is this really news to you or are your feelings just hurt?

Comment

I don't think I need any explanations from you but thanks for the kind offer. Your way off base on your chance to win comment. The team does just fine on their own. I am glad you don't condone it because it is wrong. I do see your point of showing parents who think their kid is all that what an actual elite player looks like. I actually think they need to see it just not multiple times a season. You are right though they still complain but I have to disagree they will get cut. If the check clears they will be back - it is club soccer. By the way I am not in that group in any way shape form or manner. Obviously I do resent the fact that all the kids on the team are short timed when we don't need the help. I don't think I am in the rube category though as I don't say anything about it on the sidelines or to anyone on the team but many do complain about it. I could care less if they win any games. At the level my kid is playing it truly is/should be about development.

Comment

I don't think I need any explanations from you but thanks for the kind offer. Your way off base on your chance to win comment. The team does just fine on their own. I am glad you don't condone it because it is wrong. I do see your point of showing parents who think their kid is all that what an actual elite player looks like. I actually think they need to see it just not multiple times a season. You are right though they still complain but I have to disagree they will get cut. If the check clears they will be back - it is club soccer. By the way I am not in that group in any way shape form or manner. Obviously I do resent the fact that all the kids on the team are short timed when we don't need the help. I don't think I am in the rube category though as I don't say anything about it on the sidelines or to anyone on the team but many do complain about it. I could care less if they win any games. At the level my kid is playing it truly is/should be about development.
                          We can agree that the current team should continue to play as a team whether they win, lose or draw. You are correct on the development piece as well. The same thing happens when a truly elite player that plays one or two ages groups above his calendar year is brought down to his actual age group so the "top team" can beat another clubs top team in a tournament. Nothing good seems to come from it.

Comment

Is this really news to you or are your feelings just hurt?
                            As the OP just confirmed, he is talking about a lower level of soccer. Kids develop only by practicing and playing. If playing time is taken away from them for the benefit of another kids/coaches/parents ego, that's just wrong. There are plenty of opportunities to incorporate better players with less skilled players during practices and try outs. Unless injuries or illness make it impossible, games should be about developing team skills and individual skills. If you constantly throw in a ringer from another team to score a few goals, you send the opposite message to the kids.

Don 't worry-my feelings are not hurt.

Comment

As the OP just confirmed, he is talking about a lower level of soccer. Kids develop only by practicing and playing. If playing time is taken away from them for the benefit of another kids/coaches/parents ego, that's just wrong. There are plenty of opportunities to incorporate better players with less skilled players during practices and try outs. Unless injuries or illness make it impossible, games should be about developing team skills and individual skills. If you constantly throw in a ringer from another team to score a few goals, you send the opposite message to the kids.

Don 't worry-my feelings are not hurt.
                              Good, and I agree. Club soccer isn't really about development anymore.

Comment

We can agree that the current team should continue to play as a team whether they win, lose or draw. You are correct on the development piece as well. The same thing happens when a truly elite player that plays one or two ages groups above his calendar year is brought down to his actual age group so the "top team" can beat another clubs top team in a tournament. Nothing good seems to come from it.
                                I have a daughter whose team has played a team that does that and I hate it. I wouldn't like it if she was on the team that was doing it either. A sincere Happy Holidays!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X