Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why DA may be the worst path for keepers

Fewer, more meaningful games will be the death of keeper development. While keepers face different challenges physically, their bodies aren't being run down like a field player's would.

Keepers need to play in as many games as humanly possible. They need the reps. They need to work through every conceivable situation.

If your son is lucky enough to be a starter he'll probably get to play in 75% of the total minutes available. The Revs have 27 games listed for the year(including tournaments). That means a starter can hope to play in the equivalent of 20-21 full games. Does anyone think that's enough for an entire year?

What if your kid is a back up keeper. He gets around 7 games worth of play in the year. There were 3 week stretches in the past where my kid played in more than 7 games. While that could really tax a field player, it's no big deal for a keeper.

What if your keeper child is playing on a strong team that controls the play? Now your starter kid is playing 21 games but he's only seeing meaningful action in 12, or he plays even less because of big leads that usher in his back up.

How can any of this be good for keepers?

It is terrible for the backup keepers. Training will only get you so far; like you said you need to play. Many non DA clubs will split GK duties 50-50 then you can combine that with HS, where on some teams you'll get shelled. Not all the DA clubs have good GK training either. My GK decided not to do DA for several reasons (his HS is pretty good so he didn't want to give up HS, his club team is really good with good GK training, DA club had ok training but not better than what he had) and he doesn't regret it at all. He's being recruited now and college coaches have said they're less likely to discount a keeper for not doing DA then field positions. That said, keepers still face intense competition from internationals, just like field players do. Schools are only looking to fill maybe one spot a year at most vs 5-6 on the field. It isn't easy to find a good academic fit, soccer fit AND a program that is looking for that position. DA can definitely give you a leg up but I'd say (based on our experience so far) it's less critical for keepers as long as other top notch training is in place

Comment

Thanks for sharing. My sophomore goal keeper is interested in DAP next year after starting every varsity game. This definitely food for thought

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Thanks for sharing. My sophomore goal keeper is interested in DAP next year after starting every varsity game. This definitely food for thought
        Not the OP but starting HS is very different than starting DA. Unless he's also at a very high level club now his odds of being a DA starter (or even making the team) is low. He'd be trying out next spring against establish keepers. It isn't easy to break into the boys club at that age. Also keep in mind that DA requires a minimum number of starts NOT playing time. Plenty of times they start weak players in games they are sure they'll win, or start them and pull them after a short time. Even then some clubs don't even follow the regs at all. I agree with others that PT is important, as is quality GK training.

And let me ask - is he having fun playing in HS? DA can be a good experience for starters, or if your HS team is truly abysmal. But if he has a good club and likes his HS experience I'd seriously consider staying put. It's a lot to give up with no guarantees of success.

Comment

Not the OP but starting HS is very different than starting DA. Unless he's also at a very high level club now his odds of being a DA starter (or even making the team) is low. He'd be trying out next spring against establish keepers. It isn't easy to break into the boys club at that age. Also keep in mind that DA requires a minimum number of starts NOT playing time. Plenty of times they start weak players in games they are sure they'll win, or start them and pull them after a short time. Even then some clubs don't even follow the regs at all. I agree with others that PT is important, as is quality GK training.

And let me ask - is he having fun playing in HS? DA can be a good experience for starters, or if your HS team is truly abysmal. But if he has a good club and likes his HS experience I'd seriously consider staying put. It's a lot to give up with no guarantees of success.
          He's played both high level club and prep school soccer so he knows what great soccer look likes. That's part of the allure of DAP that it will be similar to his prep school days. We brought him back to a public high school this year and is having fun but he's not challenged.

Comment

Lol. All keepers have their come to Jesus moment when they are a back up. Sux, but a part of the keeper's life. If you are a serious keeper parent you should know that the training is always considered more important than the games. Did you know that college coaches often only scout a keeper's warm up and don't actually watch them play?

Comment

He's played both high level club and prep school soccer so he knows what great soccer look likes. That's part of the allure of DAP that it will be similar to his prep school days. We brought him back to a public high school this year and is having fun but he's not challenged.
              HS soccer won't be challenging. That's what club is for.

Comment

HS soccer won't be challenging. That's what club is for.
                Insightful

Comment

Lol. All keepers have their come to Jesus moment when they are a back up. Sux, but a part of the keeper's life. If you are a serious keeper parent you should know that the training is always considered more important than the games. Did you know that college coaches often only scout a keeper's warm up and don't actually watch them play?
                  Backup?

Warmup?

Right!

Comment

What does his future college coach say? What you say he hasn't committed yet? What year is the boy, a junior you say? A little late in the game, no? Where exactly do you think DAP is going to take this lad?

Comment

What does his future college coach say? What you say he hasn't committed yet? What year is the boy, a junior you say? A little late in the game, no? Where exactly do you think DAP is going to take this lad?
                      Op said his player is a sophomore. Not too late but most likely he wouldn't even trying out until next spring to play next fall. And as another said breaking in at this age isn't easy. Personally I question the benefit if he's playing high level club, doing other training etc. Much of it comes down to the player's long term goals. I'd encourage the OP to have some real come to Jesus discussions with the club coach about what types of programs are realistic, as well take a look at rosters at target schools. Also do research on the GK trainers at whatever DA clubs they're considering - like clubs in general, at some GK training is not always a priority

Comment

My kid has never been a back-up. I'm sure it will come when he gets to college but like you said, that's part of being a keeper.

Your whole warm up claim really marginalizes what a keeper actually does in a game and exposed what little knowledge of the position you have.

Comment

My kid has never been a back-up. I'm sure it will come when he gets to college but like you said, that's part of being a keeper.

Your whole warm up claim really marginalizes what a keeper actually does in a game and exposed what little knowledge of the position you have.
                          Exactly. Warm ups don't show distribution, communication, leadership, and more importantly how the keeper plays in game conditions (shot stopping, high balls, positioning, foot skills and decision making)

Comment

Different poster. And I agree it marginalizes the importance of evaluating a keeper during a game. That said, multiple college coaches have told me that they often make their initial impressions in warmups. Many more shots in a shorter time frame, great chance to see their focus, athletic ability, attitude and work ethic. Also, coach's time is limited, and field players need to be evaluated in game situations. Once a goalie is targeted the coach will likely evaluate them further in game situations.

Comment

Different poster. And I agree it marginalizes the importance of evaluating a keeper during a game. That said, multiple college coaches have told me that they often make their initial impressions in warmups. Many more shots in a shorter time frame, great chance to see their focus, athletic ability, attitude and work ethic. Also, coach's time is limited, and field players need to be evaluated in game situations. Once a goalie is targeted the coach will likely evaluate them further in game situations.
                              First impression isn't what the other poster said. They claimed colleges "only" scout keepers during warmups.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X