Setting the record straight on D3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting backwards. I would have paid the same amount whether my kid playered soccer or not and I would have supported him going to a school in his academic wheelhouse whether he played soccer or not. As you were told already, he was in top 3rd to top quarter of every school he seriously considered. He played soccer at a very good D3, committed to a considerable time commitment (albeit less than D1 demands for sure), trained in the summers, certainly experienced his share of stress, but overall soccer complemented rather than negatively impacted academic pursuits. He had a rewarding athletic experience and is now flourishing in med school. But of course you will show your colors and somehow find fault and something to belittle.
    Wonderful outcome. You sure must be proud of the boy. Wonder if the same can be said of him and you. Do you think he even has the slightest inclination of how fixated you are on this site and one person. Do you think he knows that you stalk the guy's Facebook page and are here years after he's graduated from college defending his academic choices?

Next...your assertion that kids only go to D3 schools when soccer or other sports are a factor. Patently false. 75% of the kids at those schools have nothing to do with athletics. Kids from all over the country choose D3 schools over state universities and good private D1 level schools. Just pure idiocy to suggest otherwise.
    Since the average graduating class at one of those D3 schools is around 300, the magnitude of what you are really talking about is basically insignificant. Group all the graduating classes from the snob schools together they still won't add up to more than a pimple in the work force. That being what it is, those 75% got it right and realized that they aren't there for athletics, they are there for the education. Smart people. No wonder those schools have good reputations. It's the other 25% f**cking lunatics like you that have people scratching their heads. Who in their right mind places as much of an emphasis on soccer as you and your son apparently did when supposedly education was their primary goal.

Next...the fact that D3 is the lowest level has nothing to do with what it takes to play at that comparatively lower level. The facts are the facts. The players on the rosters for the top 25% of D3 programs come from where they come from. Don't prepare and you won't be playing. Period.
    The lowest level is the lowest level. That's the actual fact. Now what you think of the level of competition amongst your D3 schools is just your opinion and given your many obvious psychological issues your opinion really doesn't matter much so don't go posturing your delusions as fact . The actual facts are that D3 soccer is played by the slow, the small, the ill trained and the ill motivated. At best even the most competitive programs have less than a handful of real quality players on their rosters. It's hardly a high level.

Next...psychosis again. No one said everyone is equal. Adjusting upwards or downwards implies that everyone isn't equal and that along the journey families may have to adjust accordingly. A kid dreaming of D1 like you love to argue may find that he or she can only play at a good D3. Doesn't mean the training is a waste because without it the kid might not have even played D3. The costs of travel and the evils of club soccer are irrelevant to the fact that you don't roll off a high school team and become a legit D3 player at a legit D3 program.
    No matter how much you aggrandize things it simply doesn't take much to play at the D3 level. In 90% of the programs all that is required is the will to actually come out for the team.

Next...parents assessing potential and titrating costs accordingly. I've see a lot of youth sports. Rare is the parents who doesn't want his kid to make the A hockey team and gives up that slot to be on the B or C team even if the latter is cheaper. Same with Little League, soccer, football, lacrosse, etc, etc. How many kids start for their varsity high school bball teams and beg the coach to let them play on the JV team?
    No doubt there are a lot of really f**ked up parents out there who like you want to buy their kids into things that they really aren't talented enough to pursue. Have to make that varsity first before you can even think about whether or not the JV might be a better situation. Truth is there are lots of kids that do actually ask to move down the JV so they can play and usually they are smart enough to just retire from sports after their senior year in high school because they know that they aren't really very good. Unfortunately nowadays parents like you push them to continue playing.

[quote]
    Next..D1 and D3 crossover. I never claimed my kid could play at even the lower levels of D1. That said, there are usually a few kids on top D3 teams who did get offered athletic money at Patriot League and similar D1s. Just a fact. Doesn't mean they were going to be D1 All-Americans or anything of the sort so stop distorting what is posted.[quote]

That's a gross generalization. Sure there might be a small handful of D3 players out there with D1 level talent but the reality is the reason they are at D3 then is because they weren't committed to being an athlete. Sort of hard to be a D1 athlete when you don't want to put the work into being one. It is a good story to tell the naïve Mom's at the neighborhood cookout or the half interested Dads at the country club though.

Next...never said there is only a light difference between D1 and D3. And yes, there may be an even bigger difference in general on the girls' side because of the greater number of D1 slots for girls. Your whole long paragraph there, though, is just an enormous distortion of what you were responding to.
    You can build it up in your mind so that it is something more than it really is but the reality is that D3 soccer is a heck of a lot closer to high school soccer than it is to D1 soccer and that's the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      That's a gross generalization. Sure there might be a small handful of D3 players out there with D1 level talent but the reality is the reason they are at D3 then is because they weren't committed to being an athlete. Sort of hard to be a D1 athlete when you don't want to put the work into being one. It is a good story to tell the naïve Mom's at the neighborhood cookout or the half interested Dads at the country club though.

You can build it up in your mind so that it is something more than it really is but the reality is that D3 soccer is a heck of a lot closer to high school soccer than it is to D1 soccer and that's the bottom line.
      i don't know where to start. I have coached kids recruited to top 20 D1 teams that chose D3. A few have been the best soccer players and overall athletes I have ever seen. All State level in 2 or 3 sports, and skilled, intelligent soccer players, which are sadly missing in the US right now. They were more committed than 99.9% of D1 players at any level. They put more than enough work into more than 1 sport. Successfully.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1932523]Wonderful outcome. You sure must be proud of the boy. Wonder if the same can be said of him and you. Do you think he even has the slightest inclination of how fixated you are on this site and one person. Do you think he knows that you stalk the guy's Facebook page and are here years after he's graduated from college defending his academic choices?

Since the average graduating class at one of those D3 schools is around 300, the magnitude of what you are really talking about is basically insignificant. Group all the graduating classes from the snob schools together they still won't add up to more than a pimple in the work force. That being what it is, those 75% got it right and realized that they aren't there for athletics, they are there for the education. Smart people. No wonder those schools have good reputations. It's the other 25% f**cking lunatics like you that have people scratching their heads. Who in their right mind places as much of an emphasis on soccer as you and your son apparently did when supposedly education was their primary goal.

The lowest level is the lowest level. That's the actual fact. Now what you think of the level of competition amongst your D3 schools is just your opinion and given your many obvious psychological issues your opinion really doesn't matter much so don't go posturing your delusions as fact . The actual facts are that D3 soccer is played by the slow, the small, the ill trained and the ill motivated. At best even the most competitive programs have less than a handful of real quality players on their rosters. It's hardly a high level.

No matter how much you aggrandize things it simply doesn't take much to play at the D3 level. In 90% of the programs all that is required is the will to actually come out for the team.

No doubt there are a lot of really f**ked up parents out there who like you want to buy their kids into things that they really aren't talented enough to pursue. Have to make that varsity first before you can even think about whether or not the JV might be a better situation. Truth is there are lots of kids that do actually ask to move down the JV so they can play and usually they are smart enough to just retire from sports after their senior year in high school because they know that they aren't really very good. Unfortunately nowadays parents like you push them to continue playing.

[quote]
        Next..D1 and D3 crossover. I never claimed my kid could play at even the lower levels of D1. That said, there are usually a few kids on top D3 teams who did get offered athletic money at Patriot League and similar D1s. Just a fact. Doesn't mean they were going to be D1 All-Americans or anything of the sort so stop distorting what is posted.

Ok...I'm calling troll on this one. This guy's kid is either:
        1. A benchwarmer for a D1 team who is miserable and he needs to validate selling his kid down the river to a substandard school or a phys ed major
        2. On a 4th level club team and he's just jealous of the rest of the club crowd.

It is not BTDT. Just a sad, sad waste of DNA.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1932523]Wonderful outcome. You sure must be proud of the boy. Wonder if the same can be said of him and you. Do you think he even has the slightest inclination of how fixated you are on this site and one person. Do you think he knows that you stalk the guy's Facebook page and are here years after he's graduated from college defending his academic choices?

[quote]
          Next..D1 and D3 crossover. I never claimed my kid could play at even the lower levels of D1. That said, there are usually a few kids on top D3 teams who did get offered athletic money at Patriot League and similar D1s. Just a fact. Doesn't mean they were going to be D1 All-Americans or anything of the sort so stop distorting what is posted.

And BTNT speaks like Moses from the mountaintop (again, and again, and again...).

My kid and I have a great relationship. Thanks for asking. And yes, he is familiar with my contribution to TS although he doesn't have any real interest and he as well as other family members find my continued participation humorous at best and ridiculous at worst. You've been asked many times about how your family and especially your daughters that you have talked about so publicly here feels about YOUR world-famous participation. Care to finally tell us? Any maybe you can finally tell us how your kid that you punished and humiliated feels about you and your "fame" here?

As I've told you before, I don't have a FB account and I've never visited your FB account. Not interested in the least and not my style. As I've also told you, my stance is that I limit myself to data contained on this site, all of which you in my opinion have made fair game. I've never seen you in public and I've never suggested that we meet, ever.

I also don't defend my kid's academic choices. I object to your demeaning characterizations...not about my, but about kids/families who choose D3 schools in general. You continue to spout falsehoods about D3 and you are doing so with willful ignorance and moral depravity. Have you ever observed any high level D3 games live? There is zero evidence that kids can play high level D3 by just showing up at a tryout. In fact the evidence to the contrary is staggering. Whether any of us like that or don't like that it is what it is.

I also, as I've said ad nauseum, never lied or tried to distort my kid's soccer abilities. I've said very plainly that he could not have played D1. Others have talked about their kids overlapping with lower levels of D1 nad being offered money for D1. Not me. Not once.

Then you grossly distort the numbers at D3s. Haverford is the only school I know of that gets mentioned with graduating classes around the 300 range. You conveniently sidestepped all of the UAA schools that were noted. Also Hopkins and Tufts. And then there are all of the SUNYAC and NJAC D3s which are all bigger than Duke in terms of size. There are also a bunch of D3s with 2500-3500 students -- Oberlin, Wesleyan, Brandeis, to name a few. And to repeat, we didn't put a lot of emphasis on soccer in our college choice. He was admitted to his schools with soccer playing no role at all. The issue is your disdain, distortions and lies and efforts to insult.

The truth, which you should just repeat like you have in the past, is that you see zero value in playing a D3 sport. In your mind, any athletic endeavor that isn't on a path to a world-class athletic career is a waste of time. Good for you. That's your view that you are free to impose on your kids and you have. But to suggest that your view is not the esoteric, idiosyncratic view is simply a lie. Many who choose to play a sport at their D3s are not overvaluing athletics. That's your own false prism. By your definition deciding play a sport at a D3 is by definition wrong. Don't put that on other people.

D3 is not a high level compared to D1. That is true. It is a high level compared to the number of youth and club soccer players who would like to play college soccer. The vast majority of A and B team players for non-DAP and non-ECNL and non-NEFC Elite teams don't make it to play even D3. I know many kids from Ed Kelly's NEFC Elite teams who play or have played D3 and they are very good players but they are not D1 level players. Many of those kids have had to wait a year or two to get real playing time at good D3s and by no means are most of them "stars" at the D3 level. These are kids who are All-State and All-New England. Players who move down to the JV team in high school are not kids who can play competitive D3 no matter how much money their parents spend. Another huge intentional falsehood you are selling in your efforts to be demeaning and insulting. You continue to show your willingness to say absolutely anything.

Next...make up your mind. Now you're saying the ones who might have played D1 didn't because they aren't serious enough. Thought your issue with D3 is that kids are taking soccer too seriously...making soccer too important. Which is it? As you've acknowledged many times when it suits your negative agenda at the time, D3 still involves a significant commitment.

As to your final point, even MASCAC soccer is above high school soccer. There have been a bunch of former DAP players who have played MASCAC, some because they are weak students. At the higher levels of D3, teams are littered with kids from the top club teams in the United States. You can belittle the and overstate how limited they are. There very well may be a reason that an attractive D1 is out of reach because of size, speed, etc. But that doesn't mean they aren't talented soccer players when compared to the total pool of kids who would love to play college soccer at any level.

Have a great evening, BTNT.

Comment

And, so? So what? Why are you investing so much energy and emotion over D1 vs D3? Who cares? Seriously, if your kid is at the right place, wherever hat place is, why on earth do you care???

Comment

Only question is whether you have bigger blisters on your fingers from typing or calluses on your palms from yanking your Johnson so much?

Comment

Only question is whether you have bigger blisters on your fingers from typing or calluses on your palms from yanking your Johnson so much?
                And the alcohol continues....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X