Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Most students will choose most Ivy schools over almost all D3 schools.

If you are a real stud, you may get into Ivy schools, but not get into certain D3 schools where academic allowances are not as easily made.
    That's the humorous part, if you have the grades to get into those particular schools you have the grades to get into an Ivy and you don't need soccer for anything.

Comment

Shhhhhh. The D3 crowd hates the Ivy comparison. Makes em uncomfortable. Now cue the chorus of how much better D3 is academically.
      False comparison, another straw man.

No one is saying that the soccer is better in D3 than Ivy.

There are a few D3 schools which some students may choose over some Ivy. MIT, Pomona, Williams, Amherst come immediately to mind. But it is very much an individual choice.

I do not understand the hate regarding the students who choose to play soccer at a top D3. Of course, they did not have the option to go to Stanford or UVa on scholarship, but very few do.

From my pov, I would be happy if my daughter gets to go to a top D3 school and plays soccer there, assuming that is what she wants. considering the possible range of outcomes, that would be pretty good in my book.

Comment

That's the humorous part, if you have the grades to get into those particular schools you have the grades to get into an Ivy and you don't need soccer for anything.
        False, false, false.

Soccer can make the difference. The recruiting information regarding the NESCAC is well-known. It is clear that recruits are given advantages in admission.

Comment

From my pov, I would be happy if my daughter gets to go to a top D3 school and plays soccer there, assuming that is what she wants. considering the possible range of outcomes, that would be pretty good in my book.
          From a cost/benefit evaluation, I still struggle with my kid's decision to put it so many hours to play D3, falling behind in school work, and trying to figure out with the ultimate benefits are.

Comment

From a cost/benefit evaluation, I still struggle with my kid's decision to put it so many hours to play D3, falling behind in school work, and trying to figure out with the ultimate benefits are.
            Why were you letting them fall behind in schoolwork?

That's the biggest issue right there.

Comment

This is a specious argument. If your kid is falling behind in school work, then extra-curricula activities should probably be curtailed.

Comment

False comparison, another straw man.

No one is saying that the soccer is better in D3 than Ivy.

There are a few D3 schools which some students may choose over some Ivy. MIT, Pomona, Williams, Amherst come immediately to mind. But it is very much an individual choice.

I do not understand the hate regarding the students who choose to play soccer at a top D3. Of course, they did not have the option to go to Stanford or UVa on scholarship, but very few do.

You make it seem like the universe of students that you are talking about us large when the truth is you are talking about is a small handful. What you are really just talking about is what you imagine you MIGHT do, the reality is you don't know what you would do because you are not going through it and are just feeding parents your wishful thinking.

Comment

Knew it was only a matter of time before the absurd false choices were brought up

Comment

You make it seem like the universe of students that you are talking about us large when the truth is you are talking about is a small handful. What you are really just talking about is what you imagine you MIGHT do, the reality is you don't know what you would do because you are not going through it and are just feeding parents your wishful thinking.
                    We're going through that right now. In fact that is what most of the kids will be going through. Let me through a real-world example out...

Colgate/Fordham ( limited $$) vs. Middlebury/Carnegie Mellon (soccer and playing time)

Comment

THE FACT OF THE MATTER is that YOU are always just talking about a precious few kids too, but you act like your bizarre rules and proclamations apply to everyone. You are incapable of participating in a fair and nuanced discussion.

Comment

False, false, false.

Soccer can make the difference. The recruiting information regarding the NESCAC is well-known. It is clear that recruits are given advantages in admission.
                        Completely misleading information. It's disgusting how often this turd says this stuff. He's fitting a round peg in a square hole and suggesting it is complacent. He's painting an unreal picture. Tips are not plentiful, they don't provide much of a difference and they are not for the average player.

Comment

Shhhhhh. The D3 crowd hates the Ivy comparison. Makes em uncomfortable. Now cue the chorus of how much better D3 is academically.
                          And here comes the aggrieved innocent party posting to himself for about 10 posts in a row. And yet again he is "stalking" a little old D3 thread. If D3 is so awful and so painfully irrelevant you have to wonder why he would devote so much of his precious time to it.

Comment

Of course, BTNT, of course.

Comment

We're going through that right now. In fact that is what most of the kids will be going through. Let me through a real-world example out...

Colgate/Fordham ( limited $$) vs. Middlebury/Carnegie Mellon (soccer and playing time)
                              Here's s clue. The scenario you are painting means that your kid really isn't that good a soccer player and you are making it too big a part of this decision. Why don't you do the smart thing and have your kid give up soccer and just pick the school that represents the best fit. That is unless you can't afford to just piss away the money that Colgate or Fordham are offering.

Comment

Knew it was only a matter of time before the absurd false choices were brought up
                                Is rather funny how many MA soccer players are going to Williams or Amherst

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X