Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Andi Sullivan will be a mainstay for years. Just a junior at Stanford, she is poised, intelligent, and athletic.
    Agree she's impressive. Whole package technical, smart, strong and is happy to play a role unlike some others. She's best used as an 8. To use her in a true 6 wastes her connectivity and there are more dynamic players (right now) to be 10's. Hope she sticks with the team.

Comment

Except the team didn't play this default over the top style in the 2015 world cup. They played much more high pressure possession against Germany and Japan. I get that this is the default criticism of the womens team but the one game of note they lost recently was against Sweden where they dominated possession.
      Because Sweden parked the bus. And the US team fielded didn't have the in tight skills, sophistication, vision, and savvy to link a few in tight passes and score.

I understand the US team attempts to play a possession game, but until it is ingrained in our soccer culture it will be difficult to implement consistently.

Comment

The reality is the US doesn't have enough creative attackers accustomed to working in tight spaces inside the 18. It's all about breakaways and set pieces.

Comment

The reality is the US doesn't have enough creative attackers accustomed to working in tight spaces inside the 18. It's all about breakaways and set pieces.
          Exactly. And GDAP, ECNL or whatever abbreviations you apply won't change the soccer playing culture.

Comment

Because Sweden parked the bus. And the US team fielded didn't have the in tight skills, sophistication, vision, and savvy to link a few in tight passes and score.

I understand the US team attempts to play a possession game, but until it is ingrained in our soccer culture it will be difficult to implement consistently.
            Alternative theory. That was one game. They play teams that park the bus all the time and are able to get wins. By the way they lost in a shootout in that game. So technically it was a tie.

Comment

Exactly. And GDAP, ECNL or whatever abbreviations you apply won't change the soccer playing culture.
              From what I've seen of college and ECNL games, everyone is playing too direct and physical to bother with a patient buildup and tight in the 18 opportunities. I see some possession style soccer for a few passes, then either one team fouls the other or some midfielder gets impatient and sends a long ball for an attacker to run down.

Every now and again, you see a player make a run from the midfield trying to dribble through a few defenders before they get shut down but it is generally a run made at full speed with little finesse. No one tries to slow the game down, move off the ball and find the open spaces. Very little creativity, especially from the forwards. All speed, little skill. Here is a fact: a kicked ball moves faster than the fastest player. So why are we so concerned with having a team of track stars who can't connect passes?

I don't know who is teaching or advocating this style of soccer on our youth teams or why the college coaches are pushing it in their games, but it is very ugly.

Comment

From what I've seen of college and ECNL games, everyone is playing too direct and physical to bother with a patient buildup and tight in the 18 opportunities. I see some possession style soccer for a few passes, then either one team fouls the other or some midfielder gets impatient and sends a long ball for an attacker to run down.

Every now and again, you see a player make a run from the midfield trying to dribble through a few defenders before they get shut down but it is generally a run made at full speed with little finesse. No one tries to slow the game down, move off the ball and find the open spaces. Very little creativity, especially from the forwards. All speed, little skill. Here is a fact: a kicked ball moves faster than the fastest player. So why are we so concerned with having a team of track stars who can't connect passes?

I don't know who is teaching or advocating this style of soccer on our youth teams or why the college coaches are pushing it in their games, but it is very ugly.
                I understand your general point but it should be noted that individual speed is still a great trait to have. I wouldn't ignore that when evaluating talent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X