Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It can be difficult as well to put your subs in and tell them to stop playing. The kids want to play and score goals. You wouldn't tell a basketball team to stop shooting or a football team to stop scoring. Soccer parents are rich babies who can't take a beating! If I'm on the other end of one I use it as a teaching tool. I typically shake the other coaches hand and tell him or her thanks for the lesson.
    Sure you do. Get up by 50 points, most teams (except the Patriots) just run the ball the rest of the way and avoid the end zone. They don't kick FGs when norm, will try to run out the clock.

That being said, I think if you are on the front end of a blow-out, you can do your best to keep it down by putting forwards in the back, defenders up front, pass it around a bit. But, if you play keep away it's almost more insulting. You still have a game to play and you still essentially are paying for this time as a player so you have to use it.

I wouldn't be overly pressing for a goal, but you can't abandon the game completely.

Comment

or keepers
      Got one. Scares the **** out of me. We make her shake everything out before getting into the car, including taking off anything she can without embarrassment) then the rest if off in the garage and it goes into the wash. She goes straight to the shower. Both her HS and club teams practice most of the time on grass and just have games on turf. I really don't think I'd want her on turf all the time. I just haven't seen enough science to convince me one way or the other.

Comment

Try only scoring off headers or left footed shots.

Comment

Sure you do. Get up by 50 points, most teams (except the Patriots) just run the ball the rest of the way and avoid the end zone. They don't kick FGs when norm, will try to run out the clock.

That being said, I think if you are on the front end of a blow-out, you can do your best to keep it down by putting forwards in the back, defenders up front, pass it around a bit. But, if you play keep away it's almost more insulting. You still have a game to play and you still essentially are paying for this time as a player so you have to use it.

I wouldn't be overly pressing for a goal, but you can't abandon the game completely.
          In the football game where are you running backwards? If they can't stop you're running game then what? Do you break through the line of scrimmage and take a dive before the end zone? Play the game just take out your studs and get on with it.

Comment

In the football game where are you running backwards? If they can't stop you're running game then what? Do you break through the line of scrimmage and take a dive before the end zone? Play the game just take out your studs and get on with it.
            Would you blame a team that's getting embarrassed to play a little more aggressive physically? take a team like Brockton that most of agree are reckless to begin with, then get into a lopsided game and see what happens. Even pulling out your starters leaves your bench to take a beating physically if you've sufficiently embarrassed them up to that point. I have no respect for a coach who'll put up 8-10 goals on an opponent and then claim it was unavoidable. Kids want to inflate their stats and coaches have been caving in to pressure for years especially in EB. PR did it for RB and BB is doing it now for MV while she is chasing all American status off mismatches and blowouts.

Comment

My son's team lost 13-0 and it was 10-0 at half time. The team we played was head and shoulders above our team and the other team took the foot off the gas in 2nd half. What does the team do when they are that much better? My daughter's team lost 7-1 and I don't fault the other team. We live in a town where most kids do not play club and we are playing against towns that are 100% club players. The boys don't even have a JV team.....not enough players.

Not sure what you expect a team to do....
              Similar situation here. We play in a big school league where most of the teams are chock full of club players, and we've got decent athletes but they are not at the club level. Coach is also carrying 25 on the roster, which makes it difficult for the team to gel. It's frustrating for everyone.

Comment

Several teams are putting up big numbers against inferior teams. EB wins 9-0 against a very bad middleboro team. The last coach had no problem letting her players embarrass others teams. I guess a coaching change doesn't matter when a parent wields so much influence in the program. Other teams have put up similar results Bishop Feehan won 9-0 not very sportsmanlike in my opinion.
                9 is pushing it, but the reality is you have matches where teams could literally score 20 or more.

You can put in reserves, you can put on restrictions like headers only, and you can get to a point where you aren't scoring, killing the clock or even telling the ref to end it 5 minutes early and you'll STILL have those lopsided games. It happens.

Comment

This is HS. 100% agree. Players get over it awful quick and some it even motivates to practice harder. It's the losing parents who can't handle it.
                  Truer words never spoken.

Comment

Unless you were there and watched how the coaches managed the game, you may want to STFU.

Did the coach sub early and often? You don't know, do you?

Did the subs come in and score 3 or 4 of the goals? You don't know, do you?

Did the coach move players around, have them play possession, play negative frequently? You don't know, do you?

Did the losing coach pull his keeper for an underclassman, who let a couple of long, soft shots get through to add to the score? You don't know, do?

The scoreline is a tiny part of the overall picture. You're just not smart enough to understand that, though.
                    BB has to look good, he needs to recruit for his south coast team. Having someone who has always verbally spoke out against HS soccer as a waist of time and is now coaching a HS team. you do the math.

Comment

Similar situation here. We play in a big school league where most of the teams are chock full of club players, and we've got decent athletes but they are not at the club level. Coach is also carrying 25 on the roster, which makes it difficult for the team to gel. It's frustrating for everyone.
                      There's always going to be someone on the bottom. Some schools are just unlucky - either in terms of the brackets they get placed in, town make-up (like yours, not many club players vs other towns that have rosters full of them), losing 9 starters to graduation...

Most HS tams have that many on a roster so that shouldn't be a factor. HS coaches tend to only play their best and the rest sit and watch and secretly hope someone gets injured

Comment

BB has to look good, he needs to recruit for his south coast team. Having someone who has always verbally spoke out against HS soccer as a waist of time and is now coaching a HS team. you do the math.
                        All other points aside, there's more than a shred of truth here.

Comment

9 is pushing it, but the reality is you have matches where teams could literally score 20 or more.

You can put in reserves, you can put on restrictions like headers only, and you can get to a point where you aren't scoring, killing the clock or even telling the ref to end it 5 minutes early and you'll STILL have those lopsided games. It happens.
                          Simple answer when you get a huge lead (5 or 6 goals) don't shoot. Play keep away. Run the score up and sooner or later some kid will go rogue and blow out your little Mia's knee. I know it's harsh to say but it will happen.

These coaches need to know when to shut down the scoring.

Comment

Simple answer when you get a huge lead (5 or 6 goals) don't shoot. Play keep away. Run the score up and sooner or later some kid will go rogue and blow out your little Mia's knee. I know it's harsh to say but it will happen.

These coaches need to know when to shut down the scoring.
                            Playing keep away is just as humiliating.

Comment

Playing keep away is just as humiliating.
                              Blowouts are just playing keep away with a goal at anytime some of these teams want. You seem to think these teams aren't passing the ball around, making these teams look foolish and then scoring at will. Only difference is don't score when your leading by a bunch.

Comment

There are many more lopsided games than just BB's games. Just because you have wood for BB doesn't mean that you need to take the discussion off in a tangent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X