Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I disagree here.... I actually think Framingham will struggle again. They will have yet another young team and will struggle to beat Needham, Braintree, Weymouth and et...

I think this is the year Weymouth starts there upswing.... by upswing I mean 2nd or 3rd in the league and qualifying for the tournament before the last week of the season this year. At the same time I think this is the year Needham takes there first downward swing in several years.

I expect Braintree to win the league then have Weymouth/Needham battling for 2nd/3rd with Framingham being a close 4th.
    Sounds like you put Brookline a cut below? Ans what's your reasoning for Weymouth rising - mostly that others will be down?

Comment

Sounds like you put Brookline a cut below? Ans what's your reasoning for Weymouth rising - mostly that others will be down?
      Brookline lost another solid group of seniors including a extremely dynamic D1 player. I would think weymouth would be up this year for a few reason...

It has to happen sooner or later...

Needham is dropping back which has been 2 losses for weymouth

brookline is dropping off which has been 2 losses for weymouth

framingham is young and unpredictable but I think weymouth should be better and that's usually lead to dropped points in the past to framingham.

I don't see weymouth losing to Walpole or Milton this year.

I expect them to be 3-4 wins better than last year and challenging for 2nd place

Comment

Brookline lost another solid group of seniors including a extremely dynamic D1 player. I would think weymouth would be up this year for a few reason...

It has to happen sooner or later...

Needham is dropping back which has been 2 losses for weymouth

brookline is dropping off which has been 2 losses for weymouth

framingham is young and unpredictable but I think weymouth should be better and that's usually lead to dropped points in the past to framingham.

I don't see weymouth losing to Walpole or Milton this year.

I expect them to be 3-4 wins better than last year and challenging for 2nd place
        Funny how every program in MA can "drop back" except for Weymouth. Why wouldn't Needham reload from a deep talent pool and program? Same with Framingham. Weymouth has hit a mid-level D1 plateau for 3 years and that is not changing. You can hope they drop off, but unlike Weymouth they have not lost their winning culture. I expect the final standings to look very familiar:

Needham
        Braintree
        Framingham
        Weymouth

Maybe Braintree pulls it off, but to be the man you have to beat the man and they haven't shown it at that level yet.

Comment

Funny how every program in MA can "drop back" except for Weymouth. Why wouldn't Needham reload from a deep talent pool and program? Same with Framingham. Weymouth has hit a mid-level D1 plateau for 3 years and that is not changing. You can hope they drop off, but unlike Weymouth they have not lost their winning culture. I expect the final standings to look very familiar:

Needham
          Braintree
          Framingham
          Weymouth

Maybe Braintree pulls it off, but to be the man you have to beat the man and they haven't shown it at that level yet.

Needham has two returning seniors...and a weak junior class.
          Explain how you have them first.....unless you really think that the rest are so weak.

Comment

Needham has two returning seniors...and a weak junior class.
            Explain how you have them first.....unless you really think that the rest are so weak.
            The junior and sophomore classes are stronger than you indicate. Braintree is legit, absolutely but they have not yet done it on the biggest stages. No surprise if they win, but would you really be surprised with another Needham title?

Regarding Weymouth, yes, I believe they are weaker than last year. I expect more of the same from Framingham but would not be surprised to see them make a run at it given the talent they always seem to come up with

Comment

Needham
              Braintree
              Framingham
              Weymouth

Every program can drop back except Weymouth who returns 15+plus players who all saw varsity minutes last year....Now does Weymouth still have the same old goal scoring problems? absolutely but overall they should be much improved from the past few season.

Needham is losing ALOT... Still put them near the top but it will be extremely difficult not having a dominant goal scorer for the first time in 6 years....

Brookline is in the same boat as needham, lost a big senior class and a top player who went D1... They didn't have great underclassmen and will likely struggle in the league.

Braintree is returning everyone and should be improved from last year

Framingham will i'm sure have new talented players coming in but they struggled last year for a long stretch so who know's I do expect them to be the same if not a little better but that still means 3rd or 4th

Comment

The junior and sophomore classes are stronger than you indicate. Braintree is legit, absolutely but they have not yet done it on the biggest stages. No surprise if they win, but would you really be surprised with another Needham title?

Regarding Weymouth, yes, I believe they are weaker than last year. I expect more of the same from Framingham but would not be surprised to see them make a run at it given the talent they always seem to come up with
                There is no chance Weymouth is weaker than last year... They will be much improved over last year and if you disagree you are delusional and have zero idea about the program and younger upcoming players.

Comment

There is no chance Weymouth is weaker than last year... They will be much improved over last year and if you disagree you are delusional and have zero idea about the program and younger upcoming players.
                  Correct, no idea about younger upcoming players. BSC tough place to make your bones as a freshman. Good luck

Comment

I think if you are making an argument for Weymouth being significantly better it starts and ends with their two central midfielders. I saw them play a couple times last year and they were good players especially for not being Seniors. Should both of those players improve and become absolute standouts, which I think is a possibility then I could see this team improving by a lot.

Comment

Let's remind ourselves how things went last year. Copied from bostonglobe.com, below are league record and goals for and against (in all games) for BSC boys teams. The source is not perfect, but it's indicative.
                      Carey GF GA
                      Needham 12-2-2 61 11
                      Braintree 10-2-4 68 23
                      Brookline 9-4-3 46 21
                      Framingham 8-2-7 38 20
                      Weymouth 7-7-2 38 30
                      Newton N. 4-11-1 23 36
                      Herget
                      Wellesley 7-5-2 45 29
                      Walpole 6-1-7 35 16
                      Milton 5-10-0 39 42
                      Natick 2-7-5 20 29
                      Norwood 1-9-2 15 68
                      Dedham 0-11-1 11 66

With Braintree returning almost everyone, and Needham graduating many key players with no one claiming they have equal-caliber successors, Braintree has to be considered the favorite. I hear the "they aren't proven yet" suggestion, but when you only finish 2 points back of Needham, it's not like Braintree has to make a big leap. Also, Braintree's players should be motivated by the potential to be the best team there in most people's memory, maybe back to the '70s. Braintree could go 13-1-2 in league play.

It seems doubtful that any of the others can reach double-digit league wins. In Carey division, someone will go maybe 9-6-1, another 8-4-4, and others maybe 8-6-2 and 7-6-3. Whether the order is Framingham, Weymouth, Needham, Brookline, or something else, doesn't matter THAT much. Posts here have said Weymouth, Needham and Brookline all lost their leading scorers, and none suggested that there was a dynamic player(s) coming along who seems as threatening. Of course someone will get the goals for these teams, but it looks like none are likely to average 2 goals/game in league play.

Walpole, Wellesley and Natick may all be capable of beating or drawing the bulk of the Carey division teams. Milton might, too, unless their better players also graduated.

Comment

One thing to mention about Braintree that I haven't seen brought up. They're not just returning all of the players from last years team minus one worker bee but they had a central defender who missed all of last season with an injury. He started as a sophomore two seasons ago. Not sure if he'll be the same kind of player but its just another chance they could improve from where they were.

Comment

One thing to mention about Braintree that I haven't seen brought up. They're not just returning all of the players from last years team minus one worker bee but they had a central defender who missed all of last season with an injury. He started as a sophomore two seasons ago. Not sure if he'll be the same kind of player but its just another chance they could improve from where they were.
                          Braintree has the same feel of the 2010 Newton North Team. That team had no top club players but made Final 4. Look for a GREAT run for the Wamps!

Comment

I think if you are making an argument for Weymouth being significantly better it starts and ends with their two central midfielders. I saw them play a couple times last year and they were good players especially for not being Seniors. Should both of those players improve and become absolute standouts, which I think is a possibility then I could see this team improving by a lot.
                            Per the above post Weymouth scored 38 goals last year. How do they replace that with existing midfielders not known for scoring? Didn't they also lose their keeper? They may play a more attractive game this year than last year's kick-and-run fest but I don't see that translating to more wins

Comment

Per the above post Weymouth scored 38 goals last year. How do they replace that with existing midfielders not known for scoring? Didn't they also lose their keeper? They may play a more attractive game this year than last year's kick-and-run fest but I don't see that translating to more wins
                              To be Honest I think there only replacing 10-12 goals from last years senior class. Yes the Center Mids aren't your 8+ goals a season type but they will dominate most teams in the middle of the field and be able to control games a lot easier this year.

They did graduate yet another top quality Keeper and the replacement is a sophomore with good size and potential.... could be an up and down season in goal but they basically return 6 players on defense who at points last year all got starting minutes which will help out a young Keeper.

I think Weymouth have have 2-3 more wins, 2-3 more ties this year... End all a record of something like 9-5-6

Comment

Top 3 leading scorers of bsc?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X