Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotting talent

u12 boys...what determines talent at that age level? (anyone with scouting experience is helpful)

u12 boys scouting tips

1. Passion for the game
    2. Great attitude especially when things don't go well
    3. High work rate
    4. Technical skills must be exceptional
    5. Decision making must be fantastic
    6. Speed & Quickness
    7. Shooting: Power AND shot placement

Comment

Spotting talent

On top of the obvious (technical, speed, attitude, etc.) there is the intangible "IT" quality...best described as when said player has the ball at his or her feet, do observers feel they will do something great? It's that quiet respect for a player that is earned based on how they move, how they think, etc. on the pitch.

It can't be taught.

Comment

How to tell...

Simple test...once players start playing with their head up, while dribbling, passing, etc. That is when you know...they can have all of the technical skills in the world but what separates truly great talent is to play without looking at the ball

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Simple test...once players start playing with their head up, while dribbling, passing, etc. That is when you know...they can have all of the technical skills in the world but what separates truly great talent is to play without looking at the ball
          While playing with your head up is imperative for any higher level player, just doing so does not make an elite player. I have two kids. One tapped out at upper mid NEP level and will not play passed HS Varsity. The other is Elite level and will play D1 soccer. Both play with their heads up. Both were passionate about the game at an early age too. Both have good first touch, good decision making and field vision. However, the differences between them has been vast in their overall speed of play, work rate, athleticism, and versatility.

Comment

While playing with your head up is imperative for any higher level player, just doing so does not make an elite player. I have two kids. One tapped out at upper mid NEP level and will not play passed HS Varsity. The other is Elite level and will play D1 soccer. Both play with their heads up. Both were passionate about the game at an early age too. Both have good first touch, good decision making and field vision. However, the differences between them has been vast in their overall speed of play, work rate, athleticism, and versatility.
            And technical/footskill ability. Meant to include that too.

Comment

1. Passion for the game
              3. High work rate
              6. Speed & Quickness
              U12 means 11 yrs old, right?

Looks like a pretty professional level list-exceptional, fantastic, power and placement etc...

Better Call Saul

Comment

u12 boys...what determines talent at that age level? (anyone with scouting experience is helpful)
                The true differentiator is they make the players around them better. Very few talents can do that, I have only seen 3-4 in 10 years of watching youth soccer on the boys and girls sides.

Comment

Ty Gandolf

Comment

Falsified foriegn birth certificate.

Comment

I don’t know exactly what “it” is but some players just look different when they step on the field. It’s one of those things that you know when you see it.

I too have two daughters who play soccer and both have played from a young age. Both are athletic and physically talented but my youngest daughter from the first time I saw her play rec I knew she would be special. She just stood out and had some innate skills that weren’t taught. She had the awarness, vision and aggression that my other daughter just didn’t have.

Years later one is on the path to potentially playing D1 while the other may play D3. I could’ve probably predicted their paths at Ulittle.

Comment

1. Passion for the game
                        3. High work rate
                        6. Speed & Quickness
                        If this applies to the girls side, I’d be keeping her on a watch list to marry

Comment

Someone with an eye for talent has the ability to see what isn't there yet.

Comment

If this applies to the girls side, I’d be keeping her on a watch list to marry
                            Like she would want to have anything to do with a basic old teeny tiny fool like you. Evolve.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2208643]1. Passion for the game
                              3. High work rate
                              6. Speed & Quickness
                              7. Shooting: Power AND shot placement[/QUOTE

1, 2, and 3 are solid attributes to be looking for in an 11 yr old.
                              They will lend themselves to future development.
                              4-7 are what is wrong with youth soccer-those requirements are not met by most MLS players and to ascribe them to 11 yr olds is ridiculous. If kids are to be judged with those words, nobody will rise to u12.
                              It is the job of youth coaches to teach those with 1-3 to achieve 4-7, maybe not 6, as that is a purely physical gift, though it may develop later in age.

Does a child at 11 need to test like this in order to apply to MIT?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X