The truth about US not qualifying for the WC and the slow death of US Soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth about US not qualifying for the WC and the slow death of US Soccer

https://the93rdminute.net/2018/03/04...for-the-usmnt/

some excerpts:

"Building off the analyses from my World Cup white paper[1], let’s deconstruct the false equivalencies of Italy’s and the USMNT’s World Cup failures. Italy missed qualification by finishing second to Spain in their group and falling to an extremely reputable Sweden side (ranked 16th in my World Cup analysis and 20th by ELO’s current ranking). The USMNT, in contrast, finished fifth out of six teams in CONCACAF and failed to secure even a point in a life-or-death match against Trinidad & Tobago (ranked 101st by ELO’s current ranking), a country less than one hundredth its size and whose team consists primarily of lower division professional and semi-professional players.

The truth is the USMNT are falling behind the rest of the world. But, tragically, it’s a slow death that most are blind to. While there was some uproar in October after the loss to Trinidad & Tobago, most people quickly moved on and the harshest critics were cast aside as zealots or pariahs. Barring significant systemic reform enacted by Carlos Cordeiro and his administration, it seems highly probable that no meaningful change will arise and we will continue on the USSF / MLS rudderless ship"

Comment

Article would have merit if it was written in 2014 and pointed out what problems lie ahead unless there is change. Did Captain Obvious write it?

On top of that, there isn't a single solution offered. Just whining. Consequently I found the article to be a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Article would have merit if it was written in 2014 and pointed out what problems lie ahead unless there is change. Did Captain Obvious write it?

On top of that, there isn't a single solution offered. Just whining. Consequently I found the article to be a waste of time.
        But no surprise to those of us who know the game...
        Wash, rinse, repeat...

Comment

Wash, rinse, repeat...
          Why bother mr "know the game "

I mean even Landon Donovan and several others "in the know" thought it was excellent work.

But surely this work was all there and spelled out in your amazing brain.

Comment

What it tells us is not to expect any big changes from the new USSF President and his administration. Only in the US, a non-soccer culture, would we elect as head of our national soccer body, someone who knows nothing about soccer after having 8 years of declining NT performance on the world stage and someone runnign USSF who also wasn't knowledable in soccer.

What a complete farce.

Comment

What it tells us is not to expect any big changes from the new USSF President and his administration. Only in the US, a non-soccer culture, would we elect as head of our national soccer body, someone who knows nothing about soccer after having 8 years of declining NT performance on the world stage and someone runnign USSF who also wasn't knowledable in soccer.

What a complete farce.
              What could possibly go wrong hiring an ex Goldman Sacs guy who never played the sport let alone managed anything to do with soccer? One thing for sure? He'll find more ways for USSF to make money. It won't help US soccer of course, but the bank account will have a nice fat balance.

Comment

What could possibly go wrong hiring an ex Goldman Sacs guy who never played the sport let alone managed anything to do with soccer? One thing for sure? He'll find more ways for USSF to make money. It won't help US soccer of course, but the bank account will have a nice fat balance.
                Nevertheless, that's how "soccer" people in the USA voted.

In the end, it doesn't matter. We don't have the culture, we don't have the environment, and our best athletes go elsewhere.

You're best off just watching the Prem on Saturdays and Sundays, oh, and United now, for soccer.

Otherwise, watch baseball, American football, and basketball, depending on the season.

Comment

Nevertheless, that's how "soccer" people in the USA voted.

In the end, it doesn't matter. We don't have the culture, we don't have the environment, and our best athletes go elsewhere.

You're best off just watching the Prem on Saturdays and Sundays, oh, and United now, for soccer.

Otherwise, watch baseball, American football, and basketball, depending on the season.
                  Weird someone like you would be on TS. It’s like me being on the “Who’s Talking Football” website going on about what a boring formulaic game it is. (And I’m not on ***.)

Comment

Weird someone like you would be on TS. It’s like me being on the “Who’s Talking Football” website going on about what a boring formulaic game it is. (And I’m not on ***.)
                    I'm not who you replied to but what he said was correct. He didn't say soccer was boring or formulaic. I'm sure many here would agree with his points.

...and that you need to practice reading comprehension and not be a soccer snob. I could watch it 24 hours but if I had to guess, I'd say we will be in the same spot 20 years from now.

Comment

Wash, rinse, repeat...
                      But then some BNT Will play some international Friendly's and win. And then everything is solved until they all grow up. Wash rinse repeat

Comment

Man City v Chelsea was as formulaic and boring a match as you’ll see.
                        And I’m “in the know”...

Comment

Man City v Chelsea was as formulaic and boring a match as you’ll see.
                          And I’m “in the know”...
                          You people "in the know" are the biggest joke out there.

Comment

You people "in the know" are the biggest joke out there.
                            Glad to see you’re finally getting it

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X