Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Orlando City's GDA and ECNL

Today I sent this e-mail to Alan Hough, Director of the Girls DA for Orlando City/Pride. For obvious reasons I sent it anonymously. I will share his response if he answers and consents:

Dear Mr. Hough,

In February 2016 I wrote to voice my concerns about OC's plans to offer both GDA and ECNL programs. At the time you chose not to address those concerns, stating that the club had other priorities including implementation of the birth year change. Fair enough. But now, with tryouts less than a month away, it seems appropriate to re-visit the concerns that still exist and share some new ones.

1. Talent dilution: Since OC intends to offer both GDA and ECNL, how will you avoid watering down the talent between two top teams at each age group, making them less competitive vs clubs that concentrate on one top team per age? If your answer is that new elite players will come from surrounding clubs, can you explain why those players are not already on OC's ECNL teams and why they would change their minds now?
    2. GDA program cost: The Web is full of vague and conflicting information on whether GDA will be "fully funded", "cost-free", or just "funded". Terminology aside, please provide specific information on exactly what costs will be covered by the club and what will be passed on to the players' families

3. Scholarships: Please share the criteria for being awarded a partial or full GDA scholarship. We need confirmation that the process will be fair and unbiased, and not used as a recruiting tool for the most coveted players who may be fully able to pay.

4. High School soccer: If it is allowed, what assurance can you offer the players deciding to play for their school that there will be no repercussions upon their return? If a majority decide to play High School, what is the plan for the keeping remaining GDA team viable? If HS is not allowed, have you assessed how many will decline their GDA offers as a result of that decision?

5. Coaching: USSF stresses the importance of A-licensed coaches. Do you have a full complement of coaches meeting that requirement without sacrificing coaching quality on the ECNL and Purple teams? How many A-licensed coaches have been added to your staff to prepare for the 2017-2018 season?

Your answers will influence the choice of club next season for my family and many others in central Florida. Unfortunately I am unable to make your Sunday 1pm meeting, but I am certain many of the people attending have the same questions. Whether or not you choose to respond to me directly, I urge you to cover these topics at the meeting. This is a prime opportunity for you to correct any misinformation and set the record straight on the club’s position.

The online community is aware I have sent this message to you, and I intend to share your response online unless you specifically request otherwise.

Regards,
    A Concerned Soccer Parent

Very good email.

Comment

I'm interested in the answer to #2 in particular. Hopefully not the usual stuttering and weasel-words.

Comment

Geez you're an annoying @$$hole. Please just stay at FKK.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Today I sent this e-mail to Alan Hough, Director of the Girls DA for Orlando City/Pride. For obvious reasons I sent it anonymously. I will share his response if he answers and consents:

Dear Mr. Hough,

In February 2016 I wrote to voice my concerns about OC's plans to offer both GDA and ECNL programs. At the time you chose not to address those concerns, stating that the club had other priorities including implementation of the birth year change. Fair enough. But now, with tryouts less than a month away, it seems appropriate to re-visit the concerns that still exist and share some new ones.

1. Talent dilution: Since OC intends to offer both GDA and ECNL, how will you avoid watering down the talent between two top teams at each age group, making them less competitive vs clubs that concentrate on one top team per age? If your answer is that new elite players will come from surrounding clubs, can you explain why those players are not already on OC's ECNL teams and why they would change their minds now?
          2. GDA program cost: The Web is full of vague and conflicting information on whether GDA will be "fully funded", "cost-free", or just "funded". Terminology aside, please provide specific information on exactly what costs will be covered by the club and what will be passed on to the players' families

3. Scholarships: Please share the criteria for being awarded a partial or full GDA scholarship. We need confirmation that the process will be fair and unbiased, and not used as a recruiting tool for the most coveted players who may be fully able to pay.

4. High School soccer: If it is allowed, what assurance can you offer the players deciding to play for their school that there will be no repercussions upon their return? If a majority decide to play High School, what is the plan for the keeping remaining GDA team viable? If HS is not allowed, have you assessed how many will decline their GDA offers as a result of that decision?

5. Coaching: USSF stresses the importance of A-licensed coaches. Do you have a full complement of coaches meeting that requirement without sacrificing coaching quality on the ECNL and Purple teams? How many A-licensed coaches have been added to your staff to prepare for the 2017-2018 season?

Your answers will influence the choice of club next season for my family and many others in central Florida. Unfortunately I am unable to make your Sunday 1pm meeting, but I am certain many of the people attending have the same questions. Whether or not you choose to respond to me directly, I urge you to cover these topics at the meeting. This is a prime opportunity for you to correct any misinformation and set the record straight on the club’s position.

The online community is aware I have sent this message to you, and I intend to share your response online unless you specifically request otherwise.

Regards,
          A Concerned Soccer Parent
          boca united does suck

Comment

Geez you're an annoying @$$hole. Please just stay at FKK.
            I thought it was a professional, courteous, and reasonable list of questions. Hopefully OC management is more professional and mature in their response than some of the OC parents.

Comment

Alan Hough will never reply to that e-mail. Orlando City doesn't want you to know the answers to those questions.

Comment

Today's meeting

I was at the meeting and here is what I took away from it:
                AH will be the Director for Orlando Pride girls DA. I don't believe he will be concerned about talent being diluted. He will be concerned about getting the best talent for the DA program. There will be 18-20 girls on each team. Total cost including travel, food, uniforms, training etc is expected to be $8,500 to $9,000. The Pride will fund most of the cost with each player having to pay approximately $2,500. Each team will have their own coach. The club is interviewing new coaches which will have their A license. The girls will be evaluated after every game. All games will be videoed for coaches and girls review. No high school soccer. It is a step up from ECNL.

Comment

AH will be the Director for Orlando Pride girls DA. I don't believe he will be concerned about talent being diluted. He will be concerned about getting the best talent for the DA program. There will be 18-20 girls on each team. Total cost including travel, food, uniforms, training etc is expected to be $8,500 to $9,000. The Pride will fund most of the cost with each player having to pay approximately $2,500. Each team will have their own coach. The club is interviewing new coaches which will have their A license. The girls will be evaluated after every game. All games will be videoed for coaches and girls review. No high school soccer. It is a step up from ECNL.
                  Did he say where the training would be?

Comment

Did he say where the training would be?
                    They are building a new training complex in Lake Nona. When it is finished it will be moved there. They are looking at different options for next year.

Comment

. . . I don't believe he will be concerned about talent being diluted. He will be concerned about getting the best talent for the DA program.
                      Why don't you believe this? It's simple math. Same player pool + more teams = diluted talent. He'll be lucky if he picks up enough players from other clubs to make up for the ones who leave. I would expect most of the girls who want to play high school soccer to move over to FKK, where the undiluted ECNL team will be more competitive. Some of the "best talent" will absolutely do this.
                      The Pride will fund most of the cost with each player having to pay approximately $2,500.
                      I highly advise getting that in writing.

Comment

Did you ask how the $8500-$9000 was calculated? This is a bunch of fluff to get everyone to think $2500 is a deal. it is more than ECNL. Will there be team dues? FKK will have a 4th night of optional training for their players. It seems like apples to apples to me and FKK is the better product and have more connections with college coaches. Lake Nona is too far, traffic stinks, and toll roads add up. (Unless, of course, you live there.) I am sure each girl and her family will make the best decision for themselves. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Comment

Did you ask how the $8500-$9000 was calculated? This is a bunch of fluff to get everyone to think $2500 is a deal. it is more than ECNL. Will there be team dues? FKK will have a 4th night of optional training for their players. It seems like apples to apples to me and FKK is the better product and have more connections with college coaches. Lake Nona is too far, traffic stinks, and toll roads add up. (Unless, of course, you live there.) I am sure each girl and her family will make the best decision for themselves. Good luck with whatever you choose!
                          How much is FKK saying there ECNL will cost? And team dues??

Comment

How much is FKK saying there ECNL will cost? And team dues??
                            $2500 covers all fees, travel, flights to all showcase events and national playoffs, hotels, food, hire vans,everything.
                            FKK will always bash OC but you will pay close 8k for ecnl at FKK by the end of the year.

Comment

$2500 covers all fees, travel, flights to all showcase events and national playoffs, hotels, food, hire vans,everything.
                              FKK will always bash OC but you will pay close 8k for ecnl at FKK by the end of the year.
                              I agree!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X