Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Commits to SNHU won't be known until April because the Academic Index is so high.
    You aren't serious right?

Comment

I have some "beach front" property I would LOVE to sell you

Comment

you missed the sacarsm...

Comment

What!! no one going to SNHU or Colby this year
          Let's not "throw stones" at anyones choice of college (yes I'm sure there is some sarcasim in the above). Anyone who aspires to play college soccer and actually does should be commended and congratulated given the huge time commitment it is--regardless of whether it is D1, D2 or D3. Anyone who has someone currently playing in college already realizes this, and to those who are attempting to play next year and in future years, you may think you are already working hard on your game and fitness, but you have no idea how much harder you will have to work to (1) make the team, (2) possibly get some playing time, (3) become a starter--and this is for D1, D2 or D3. College coaches don't care if you were their #1 recruit if you can't get it done on the field once you get there. Hats off to the HS Class of 2013 and those who came before for attempting to play college soccer--I hope you are succesful both on the field and more importantly in the classroom. Just be ready for next year when pre-season rolls around.

Comment

Let's not "throw stones" at anyones choice of college (yes I'm sure there is some sarcasim in the above). Anyone who aspires to play college soccer and actually does should be commended and congratulated given the huge time commitment it is--regardless of whether it is D1, D2 or D3. Anyone who has someone currently playing in college already realizes this, and to those who are attempting to play next year and in future years, you may think you are already working hard on your game and fitness, but you have no idea how much harder you will have to work to (1) make the team, (2) possibly get some playing time, (3) become a starter--and this is for D1, D2 or D3. College coaches don't care if you were their #1 recruit if you can't get it done on the field once you get there. Hats off to the HS Class of 2013 and those who came before for attempting to play college soccer--I hope you are succesful both on the field and more importantly in the classroom. Just be ready for next year when pre-season rolls around.
            COuldnt agree with you more-well said

Comment

Very good points - this is why any rational person should think playing soccer in college makes no sense. If the time commitment was kept in line so that the kid can actually go to college, then its a good thing. If a kids college years are dominated by trying to stay on a team, get playing time and become a starter etc., he's got plenty of reason not to go this route - plenty. You need to graduate from college with more than sports injuries and photographs.

Comment

Finally a few posts that make some sense rather than being petty and mean about who's going where. Glad I came back to this thread.

Comment

OK - soccer dads.. here is what might be going through your kids head - especially if he is smart enough to think about something other than soccer.

"I am sick and tired of constant practices in the freezing rain and cold and running and lifting on top of that. I like to sleep and watch TV. I actually think some of my classes are interesting and tired of getting burned on tests because I couldn't concentrate on it and get the reading done. And I'm actually interested in these clubs that other kids are in, which I have no time for. I'm not excited by games anymore and hearing about 'how I played' afterward. And I really don't think its a great thing to keep doing this month after month, year after year, through college. I think there are better things to do with my time. How did I get stuck in this rut"

OK - soccer dads. . the thing here is that if you were the one constantly practicing and constantly playing, it'd be different. It's not the same when you're not in the beach chair.

Comment

Very good points - this is why any rational person should think playing soccer in college makes no sense. If the time commitment was kept in line so that the kid can actually go to college, then its a good thing. If a kids college years are dominated by trying to stay on a team, get playing time and become a starter etc., he's got plenty of reason not to go this route - plenty. You need to graduate from college with more than sports injuries and photographs.
                    True--which is why what college a student athlete chooses to attend be must more about the college and the fit to the student athlete and much lower on the list is the soccer component. As far as the soccer component is concerned, most players are "happier" when they play/start, thus be realistic about whether you really can make an "impact" on a particular team and thus play for 3 or hopefully 4 years. If the student athlete is organized then he can still enjoy college life (especially outside the Fall season), but it is still a huge commitment, which is why very few of the 100 or so Mass players who start out attempting to play out of HS each year actually play or are on the team for the full 4 years.

Comment

Can someone explain whether a D3 player can announce he has commited to a school prior to being formally admitted?

Some have told me, yes. Kids get recruited and offered "slots" based upon agreeing to apply ED? They, of course, are subject to the admissions decision (typcially favorable because coaches get their recruits pre-screened with admissions). Nonetheless, they turn down other schools and make a binding agreement to attend if/when they are admitted -- so, they commited...

Some say, no, these kids shouldn't announce until after they have the admissions decision.

Is there an official NCAA policy?

How do coaches/schools generally feel?

Comment

Can someone explain whether a D3 player can announce he has commited to a school prior to being formally admitted?

Some have told me, yes. Kids get recruited and offered "slots" based upon agreeing to apply ED? They, of course, are subject to the admissions decision (typcially favorable because coaches get their recruits pre-screened with admissions). Nonetheless, they turn down other schools and make a binding agreement to attend if/when they are admitted -- so, they commited...

Some say, no, these kids shouldn't announce until after they have the admissions decision.

Is there an official NCAA policy?

How do coaches/schools generally feel?
                        If you are inclined to announce your son's college soccer committment I would tell you that I would wait until getting the ED admissions letter in hand before doing so---only because I know of 2 players in two seperate years that thought they were a shoo in for ED and were rejected for whatever reason and neither one ended up going to the colleges in question. There is no NCAA rule and there is no binding agreement in D3 (only if you get in ED and that is an admissions pledge, and then that is debateable as I've seen players back out of ED agreements). Who knows what the coaches think, but if you are so inclined I would wait until I had the acceptance letter because you never know especially when it comes from some of the higher tier academic colleges/universities.

Comment

If you are inclined to announce your son's college soccer committment I would tell you that I would wait until getting the ED admissions letter in hand before doing so---only because I know of 2 players in two seperate years that thought they were a shoo in for ED and were rejected for whatever reason and neither one ended up going to the colleges in question. There is no NCAA rule and there is no binding agreement in D3 (only if you get in ED and that is an admissions pledge, and then that is debateable as I've seen players back out of ED agreements). Who knows what the coaches think, but if you are so inclined I would wait until I had the acceptance letter because you never know especially when it comes from some of the higher tier academic colleges/universities.
                          truer words are rare on TS

Comment

^^^^Agree. Great advice....and timely.

Comment

D3 Early Decision Day....Catch the notifications LIVE...

12-15-12 -- ESPN Desportes -- 4:30am-4:45am

Seriously, good luck to those waiting to hear.

And here is a link to the most inspirational video I saw during the college search process, speaks to the best ideals of being a D3 athlete, and something my kid used to watch before his high school games. And no, he doesn't attend Wesleyan.

http://www.wesleyan.edu/newsrel/medi...atta-krah.html

Comment

All Americans so far:

Mac Steeves
                                Dave McKinnon
                                Bernard Yeboah
                                Zeiko Lewis

Is that it? The official NSCAA news summary will likely be out in a week or so, and MA usually gets 3-4.
                                http://www.nscaa.com/awards/high-sch...ys-all-america

Add one more:

Ryan Reynolds

5 for MA and that's it. Congrats to them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X