Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do about a rude coach?

My high school coach is extremely rude to me and it is getting to the point that I want to quit. I am polite and try to really only speak when spoken to sort of thing and I help clean up cones and such. However she always singles me out during her speeches and she rolls her eyes at me on numerous occasions. She hasn't liked me from the start, my freshman year I made varsity with a different coach who quit and she took over then my sophomore year moved me down to JV. Now I am a junior on varsity with her as a coach who frankly she doesn't like me. I really don't know what to do any advise or help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My high school coach is extremely rude to me and it is getting to the point that I want to quit. I am polite and try to really only speak when spoken to sort of thing and I help clean up cones and such. However she always singles me out during her speeches and she rolls her eyes at me on numerous occasions. She hasn't liked me from the start, my freshman year I made varsity with a different coach who quit and she took over then my sophomore year moved me down to JV. Now I am a junior on varsity with her as a coach who frankly she doesn't like me. I really don't know what to do any advise or help would be appreciated.
    talk to your parents first. they need to know what is going on before you go further.

AFTER you talk to your parents, talk to your guidence counselor at school. That is exactly what they are there for. Ask for a conferance with the counselor, you and the coach and get it worked out.

That does not mean you will get what you want, but it will lead to knowing exactly where you and the coach stand and you can go from there.

Comment

talk to your parents first. they need to know what is going on before you go further.

AFTER you talk to your parents, talk to your guidence counselor at school. That is exactly what they are there for. Ask for a conferance with the counselor, you and the coach and get it worked out.

That does not mean you will get what you want, but it will lead to knowing exactly where you and the coach stand and you can go from there.
      Dont want to confuse you, but...

...I agree with the above poster that it is you who should handle the situation (not your parents, at least not yet) but disagree about involving the guidance counselor.

Have you spoken 1-on-1 with the coach yet? If not...

Before or after practice, ask the coach for a few minutes of her time. Then, tell her your perception of the situation and ask her "what's up". She what she says. Bringing it to her attention may resolve everything and she may well have a new found respect for you.

If you find her comments to be unfounded, THEN tell her a third party may be needed for resolution. If so, I'd suggest the next step be to your school's Athletic Director, not a guidance counselor.

Comment

Why don't you do what I do and practice hard, play hard and earn respect.

Comment

Why don't you do what I do and practice hard, play hard and earn respect.
          You have no idea whether this player practices and plays "hard".

If that's the issue, leave that for discussion between the coach and the player.

No need to be an a-hole.

Comment

My two cents

Player should approach the coach and ask "how am I doing coach and what can do to improve"
            If she rolls her eyes, you know something is wrong, wait a week to see if the behavior improves, if not, go to the athletic director

Comment

Is this the lake highland coach?

Comment

Whatever you do, don't let someone else get in the way of something you love. If you love soccer and want to play, don't let a difficult coach take that away. Address what you can, shake the rest off. Playing well and succeeding will be the best revenge. If you quit, they win.

Comment

Player should approach the coach and ask "how am I doing coach and what can do to improve"
                  If she rolls her eyes, you know something is wrong, wait a week to see if the behavior improves, if not, go to the athletic director
                  if there is already perceived annamosity, a 14 year old kid is not going to handle a 1 on 1 talk well with another adult. And it may be an issue with the kid and not the coach. this is exactly what guidence counselors are for. let them do their job. they are better at it than a 14 year old kid or an irate parent. their job is to help kids solve problems. they would be a better resource than this board.

and i would totally dissagree with anyone who suggest a parent should not know what is going on with their kid at all times.

Comment

agree. when it is a school coach, go to the guidance counselor first, they will guide you toward the next best step/person. parents should definately be in on what is happening but kid needs to lead the charge.

Comment

First of all, do you play club soccer? If so, these are the types of things that happen with HS soccer. HS coaches are mostly a joke, and they don't know soccer from volleyball. I think you should walk up to the HS coach before the next practice and bitch slap her in front of the entire team. If you don't play club and only play HS, then you should have her bitch slap you so she can clear the animosity between you both. Good luck!

Signed,
                      Elizabeth Lambert

Comment

First of all, do you play club soccer? If so, these are the types of things that happen with HS soccer. HS coaches are mostly a joke, and they don't know soccer from volleyball. I think you should walk up to the HS coach before the next practice and bitch slap her in front of the entire team. If you don't play club and only play HS, then you should have her bitch slap you so she can clear the animosity between you both. Good luck!

Signed,
                        Elizabeth Lambert
                        Very helpful bub. Thank God the OP doesn't have you for a parent.

Comment

Warning: the majority of public high school guidance counselors dislike high school student-athletes.

Comment

Warning: the majority of public high school guidance counselors dislike high school student-athletes.
                            Why? Any coherant reason or personal recent anecdotes you can share.

Comment

Is this the lake highland coach?
                              Solution...

Share this thread with the coach and let us know how is treating you next week. Solved!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X