Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Development or Winning? What should we focus on at the younger ages?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development or Winning? What should we focus on at the younger ages?

I have been involved in youth soccer for many years and it is clear that winning can get in the way of young players' development. But if we don't win many parents get upset and players leave! I truly struggle with what approach to take. Should I just let the better players leave or should I try and develop a competitive team?

find a balance

Hopefully you can find a balance. If you are able to consistently grow and develop your players and there is some winning involved - then that is a bonus. I would say it all depends where you are coaching - are you a REC coach, a low or mid-level TRAVEL coach or Premier-Elite Travel coach? The higher the level and the more $ people pay - the more expectations there will be for winning. When you have a Premier or Elite level team - if you don't win - you will lose players/families. Hopefully most people are making decisions based more on the quality of the coaching, the opportunity for touches and player development as well as learning to play as a team, develop skills and play multiple positions.

Best of luck to you in your coaching endeavors.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    Working...
    X