Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roster Sizes

Can someone let me know the roster size for HS and College D2 & D3 (don't know if they have different numbers).

How many are rostered, how many can actually play? I know the roster is expanded at Playoffs - HS only? How many? Are eligibility mandated by MIAA or HS especially grades?

Can you make a College Roster and just work out with team but not play?
    Any nuances regarding this? In College especially interested in D2 & D3 NCAA. Tried going to NCAA but yikes a lot of stuff. Are grades mandated by School or NCAA especially in D3. How come one kid can't be academic eligible in one school but can be in another State School. Is it the same in Private College?

Any info would be helpful on any of the questions.

Re: Roster Sizes

Originally posted by Anonymous
    Can someone let me know the roster size for HS and College D2 & D3 (don't know if they have different numbers).

How many are rostered, how many can actually play? I know the roster is expanded at Playoffs - HS only? How many? Are eligibility mandated by MIAA or HS especially grades?

Can you make a College Roster and just work out with team but not play?
    Any nuances regarding this? In College especially interested in D2 & D3 NCAA. Tried going to NCAA but yikes a lot of stuff. Are grades mandated by School or NCAA especially in D3. How come one kid can't be academic eligible in one school but can be in another State School. Is it the same in Private College?

Any info would be helpful on any of the questions.
    there is no specific nationwide roster size for hs. totally dependent on league.

you can be redshirted in college meaning work out with the team but not play in games. again, grades primarily determined by the league.

interested

Comment

Thanks.

In MA assume miaa governs roster?

In college understand red shirt but how many players can be on the game playing roster versus on a roster not playing but can dress and sit on the bench? Any limit to the amount of non playing roster again in MA D2 and D3? Is red shirt only for injuries or is academic ineligble players res hirt as well.

Comment

Does MIAA mandate a roster size limit?

Comment

Why not go to the MIAA site and read the rules.

Comment

Why not go to the MIAA site and read the rules.
            Do you mean game day rosters or the number of players the "team"?

Comment

I went to MIAA and I went to NCAA. I can't figure it so I thought I would reach out to have someone explain.

My question is if you have say 28 on a roster: on game day do you need to submit a roster of players and if so how many in HS and College can be on that potential game day playing roster?

Comment

I went to MIAA and I went to NCAA. I can't figure it so I thought I would reach out to have someone explain.

My question is if you have say 28 on a roster: on game day do you need to submit a roster of players and if so how many in HS and College can be on that potential game day playing roster?

Comment

Roster size

From my experience (parent and hs spectator) I am not aware of any MIAA restrictions on roster size for HS Soccer (nor HS Football, Basketball, Lacrosse et al). I have seen HS soccer have upwards of 25 players on the roster at different times of the season based on seniors who are allowed to ride the bench, injuries and players returning from injuries, freshmen etc. The limit seems to be the number of uniforms available.

Some random thoughts:
                  In these days of HS "sports fees" why would a HS deny a player the opportunity to be a part of the team if they were OK with a limited role?

What are the MIAA rules for JV players participating in one half of the JV game and being available as a sub for the Varsity game?

With many HS eliminating the Freshmen program, how many freshmen and/or sophs get cut from JV before having a chance to develop?

Should the MIAA have specific rules or guidelines related to this or does it really matter and leave it up to the individual HSs.

Comment

I guess if a kid was okay with a limited role but most kids aren't even when they say they are.

Not sure what the answers are and not even sure if MIAA has a position on it.? Good point about the lack of Frosh Teams. Most schools now a days pile both the JV and Varsity on the same buses. No more JV kids leaving after their games. The JV kids play Varsity watches Varsity plays JV watches. It is not easy being an AD these days I imagine. So I guess if MIAA sanctions it should not be an issue with Srs playing JV. But then could JV play Freshman? Just a thought?

I guess we always thought if by Senior year you hadn't made Varsity there was no option available. This is barring any other factors such as being hurt, etc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X