Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAPLE relegation/promotion flaws

In a previous (very long) thread about MPS, it was stated that the MAPLE process for promotion and relegation (specifically between MASC and MAPLE-D was flawed.

I'd be interested to hear more opinions/details about this issue, and thought I'd start a new topic.

on anther note, why is there a u11 team playing in the top division of u12

Comment

Not enough games to determine who is really the best (or worst) teams.

This is particularly problematic in the spring where you may end up playing 6 games in 8 nights between MAPLE and State Cup makeups (this happened to my son's team one year) which determine your promotion/relegation status.

Comment

Originally posted by Dad&Driver
        Not enough games to determine who is really the best (or worst) teams.

This is particularly problematic in the spring where you may end up playing 6 games in 8 nights between MAPLE and State Cup makeups (this happened to my son's team one year) which determine your promotion/relegation status.
        OK, it would seem like there are two parts to this issue.

1) Who must play promotion/relegation matches

2) Whether the promotion/relegation matches accurately determines the better teams.

On issue 1, you point out that there are not enough games in the season (especially the spring). Assuming this is true, what can be done?

- combine fall and spring results for U14 & below (perhaps with more weight to spring)?
        - involve more teams (e.g., bottom 4 rather than bottom 2), to compensate for the inaccuracies
        - other ideas?

On issue 2, I would assume that everyone might have the same tough schedule, so its at least its fair and I assume we'd want more games rather than less. I'd be interested in other issues and possible improvements.

Comment

Isn' t the root problem actually the limited number of MAPLE slots available? The big issue is that teams are being relegated out of MAPLE entirely. If MAPLE had an unlimited number of divisions, it would make relegation take on much less importance (but might make MASC irrelevant).

Comment

Originally posted by ContactSoccer

OK, it would seem like there are two parts to this issue.

1) Who must play promotion/relegation matches

2) Whether the promotion/relegation matches accurately determines the better teams.

On issue 1, you point out that there are not enough games in the season (especially the spring). Assuming this is true, what can be done?

- combine fall and spring results for U14 & below (perhaps with more weight to spring)?
            - involve more teams (e.g., bottom 4 rather than bottom 2), to compensate for the inaccuracies
            - other ideas?

On issue 2, I would assume that everyone might have the same tough schedule, so its at least its fair and I assume we'd want more games rather than less. I'd be interested in other issues and possible improvements.
            1. No promotion/relegation matches. The bottom 3 d1 drop down and top 3 D2 move up. The same for D2 and D.

2. Expand the season and play each team two times. Add Wed as a game day. If it conflicts with town soccer, so be it, dual rostering can finally end and let the players decide which league they want to be with.

Comment

A cynical view would be that the promo/relegation matches are a money maker for MAPLE.

Comment

2. Expand the season and play each team two times. Add Wed as a game day.

Another idea would be to extend the Spring season by 2 weeks (U14 and under) and not have any promotion/relegation in the Fall. Play each team once in the fall and again in the spring with each team playing at the other team's field (ex. Stars at Scorps in the fall, Scorps at Stars in the spring). Bottom 4 get relegated, top 4 get promoted. They could still play qualifying games after the spring season for the 4 now-open spots in MAPLE-D.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X