Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODP

Did anyone go to the ODP tryouts? How is everyone looking so far this year?

Numbers are low...for the 94 girls anyway

Comment

Numbers will continue to be low until the system is revamped. Many quality players don't even bother to try out anymore. ODP no longer carries much prestige and many players from top clubs are getting better training without leaving their club to do so. Not a single player from the Stars team that advanced to regionals stayed with ODP.

Comment

That sentence about Stars players is inaccurate as well as inexact. Which team? Whichever, still not really true.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
          That sentence about Stars players is inaccurate as well as inexact. Which team? Whichever, still not really true.
          inaccurate? the team that made the reg finals,last yrs U13!! accurate enough?
          and it is very true and i know because my child was on that team smart guy

Comment

Chillax, mon! The details helped. Others from two OTHER Stars teams at regionals were at try outs. K?

Comment

My daughter refused to go back after 3 years, she says she gets nothing out of it.

I am somewhat (but not really) surprised that the ODP administration never takes the time to ask anyone who has continued through with the program until the end (right through ID Camp or at least Rider), players or parents, what do you think of the program? What can we do better? What do you as a player like or dislike most about ODP? It's a simple business model, ask the customer what can we improve upon?

Mass has made some strides as compared to other region 1 states over the past few years, but it may have reached its peak -- they will continue to lose (and fail to attract) good players if they don't make some changes and the Mass teams will continue to have average results at Rider Cup.

Comment

ODP

As a newbie, we got the talk from the administrators over the weekend that 75-80% of the teams turn over from U12 to U15. I would think this turnover is more to the previous point that players are opting not to play. Obviously some turnover is typical with players developing at different ages but not 3/4 of the team.

Comment

Many players I am familiar with did not return to ODP. Others returned but with mixed to negative feelings about it and the mindset that if it doesnt improve this year they wont return next year. There is no doubt that ODP is slipping. I am hearing the "I dont get anything out of it" comment repeatedly myself.

ODP has been able to get away with not asking (or caring) what members think because they have been the only option available until recently.

Now that some clubs are doing as good or better a job at developing players and promoting them to colleges Mass. ODP will either have to adjust or continue to lose talented players.

Fred M.

Comment

On the girls side just about the only players that stay on through U-15 are the ones who have made it into the regional pool, so you do get a 75% back-fill with the rest. However, from my experience very few players that decide to stay are cut in favor of "better" players. In essence the program has a 75% depature level causing the turn-over. This is one of the main reasons that Mass teams do pretty well at Rider up until U-14 and then start to struggle. They have 3 or 4 great players but are missing solid quality from players 5-16. Fred could comment on his 15 girls, but I would bet that at one time almost every one of those girls played ODP, now it may be 3 or 4. Same is true for the U-15 Stars. Those two teams will get enough college exposure at the showcases making state level ODP pretty valueless.

Comment

I agree.
                      I just got back from a college recruiting visit this past weekend. The coach seemed very familar with the region 1 ODP process. His opinion about the process is much like yours. He said that players who are playing for big time club programs are always at the top of his list mainly because he generally knows the coach and knows the player is being developed properly. He didn't think much of the ODP program below the college age.

Comment

ODP is unbelievably defensive about any parental comments (at least from women). They don't want to hear it. They say they do - but they don't and they attack anyone who makes a comment. They want parent to fundraise in addition to the fees, yeah, right.

Comment

Re: ODP

Originally posted by ANON
                          As a newbie, we got the talk from the administrators over the weekend that 75-80% of the teams turn over from U12 to U15. I would think this turnover is more to the previous point that players are opting not to play. Obviously some turnover is typical with players developing at different ages but not 3/4 of the team.
                          This is just the ODP staff covering their backside when they cut your player after being in the program for a number of years.

The numbers are down, kids who have been in the program previously either aren't going to tryouts or are going with an "I-don't-care-if-I-make-it-or-not" attitude. The coaching is fairly weak.

Yet MA ODP staff maintains their arrogance and refuses to even acknowledge that programs like the US Soccer Academy are marginalizing state ODP.

Comment

ODP is unbelievably defensive about any parental comments (at least from women). They don't want to hear it. They say they do - but they don't and they attack anyone who makes a comment. They want parent to fundraise in addition to the fees, yeah, right.
                            One admin made an interesting statement yesterday and that was that if you bring a video camera, they want to know why?

Comment

Many players I am familiar with did not return to ODP. Others returned but with mixed to negative feelings about it and the mindset that if it doesnt improve this year they wont return next year. There is no doubt that ODP is slipping. I am hearing the "I dont get anything out of it" comment repeatedly myself.

ODP has been able to get away with not asking (or caring) what members think because they have been the only option available until recently.

Now that some clubs are doing as good or better a job at developing players and promoting them to colleges Mass. ODP will either have to adjust or continue to lose talented players.

Fred M.
                              There are those players though that are part of clubs that dont extend themselves (ie going to showcase tournaments) and they are ok with that. Most likely due to the costs associated and think ODP is a less expensive way to get their kids noticed.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X