Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

futsal?

I have a question. is futsal better than indoor soccer during the off season as a supplement to outdoor soccer? Last year our coach told us futsal was a great thing. Our team did it and while parent's response was mixed I noticed all of the players improved their individual skills, from one winter. This year a different coach told us we will develop bad habits from futsal, and that it is not worth it because there is no need to touch the ball so many times. What are the opinions out there? I think our coach might just not like the people involved in the league and that is why he is staying away from it. I don't want to shortchange my player by blindly listening to the coach. Thoughts?

My team has been playing futsal for four years. I would recommend it highly. Parents have approached me each year and commented on how much their child has improved by playing futsal. The comment about not having to touch the ball so many times is ridiculous! The highest skilled players work to master their touch on the ball. That doesn't come from minimal touches....

Comment

There is no way any coach would tell you that your son would get to many touches. I would run from this coach if this is true.

I like futsal, but I also believe that the winter is a good time to rest, especially if your program has several training session per week over the winter. Also consider cross training with other sports in the winter to help build a stronger over all athlete.

Comment

http://www.usyouthfutsal.com/home/597897.html

Comment

Bad habits??? I guess FIFA and US Soccer have it wrong....as well as Brazil and Spain.

But what do they know.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            There is no way any coach would tell you that your son would get to many touches. I would run from this coach if this is true.
            Agreed. I would take a deep, long look at whether this person should be coaching your kid. On second thought, you don't have to. That has to be the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Local great, Tony Lepore - Development Academy Director of Scouting for US Soccer, has made positive comments regarding futsal.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...the-plans.html

Comment

I think it is clear that futsal is a respected tool for teaching kids to play soccer. There are no bad habits which is exactly why FIFA approves it as their indoor choice. Sounds like you are getting bad advice or someone has an axe to grind.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X