Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Jersey Sponsorship

Are Maple teams allowed to have sponsorship on their team jerseys? I think I have only saw 1 team and they are from RI.

Re: Team Jersey Sponsorship

Originally posted by Anonymous
    Are Maple teams allowed to have sponsorship on their team jerseys? I think I have only saw 1 team and they are from RI.
    Seacoast in NH does this as well.

I'm not aware of a MAPLE rule preventing it.

Comment

I spoke with someone from Bruno United (probably the team from RI mentioned above). They use the sponsorship $ to fund their scholarship program and supposedly a fair proportion of their players receive some support from that.

Comment

If there is no rule against it, I was curious as to why no other team did the same. I think it is good think to help those in need.

Comment

The Vipers FC out of New Bedford play with sponsor names on shirts. This keeps their cost way down. I heard one of their teams paid only $200 for Fall and Spring season with Bags, Warm-ups, uniforms and 2 tournaments included. Sounds like some good fund raising to me!

Comment

Originally posted by StillLearning
            The Vipers FC out of New Bedford play with sponsor names on shirts. This keeps their cost way down. I heard one of their teams paid only $200 for Fall and Spring season with Bags, Warm-ups, uniforms and 2 tournaments included. Sounds like some good fund raising to me!
            I don't see any problem with it, I even think it adds a little to the team. Has anyone ever talked with Reebok ?

Comment

Originally posted by StillLearning
              I don't see any problem with it, I even think it adds a little to the team. Has anyone ever talked with Reebok ?
              There are Massachusetts clubs that have "official" sponsorships with athletic labels. Bolts have Nike, Inter has Adidas, I believe Juventus was sponsored by Xara for a couple of years. Although they do wear their clothing line there is not a significant difference in what the actual cost of the uniform kit is. I might be wrong, but I believe those sponsorhip benefits are more helpful in promoting the club than for individual player cost savings.

Comment

I agree with MA SOCCER. I really do not see any benefit to the parents footing the bill, whether a club is sponsored by a big sports name. We seem to pay just as much as everybody else. Which makes me wonder is there money given by these people such as NIKE etc. To clubs in the form of scholarship help or to defray costs of going to sponsored tournaments.And if so, where does it go?

Comment

The closest thing to published rule prohibitting shirt advertising is in the Player Rules of the USYSA *(maybe 304) dealing with innapropriate markings on uniforms. I believe there is a decision that certain types of advertising cannot be on uniforms in the National Championship Series and so teams don't want to put stuff on jerseys that will run afoul of those rules (like "Hooters" or "Chico's Bail Bonds"). However, how much more do you think you could get for such a sponsorship by placing an ad on a U-14 girls team's unis?

Comment

Rule 304. UNIFORMS

Section 1. In this rule, “team memberâ€￾ means a player, coach, assistant coach, or other official of
                    a team.

Section 2. A team member is not prohibited by USYSA from having a mark or name, or both, on
                    any part of the team member’s uniform being worn at a game, if the mark or name is related to an item or
                    service that is appropriate for youth. The Organization Member with which the team member is registered
                    shall determine the appropriateness. An Organization Member, or its member, may be more restrictive on
                    uniform marks or names than allowed under this rule. Any inappropriate mark or name on the team
                    member’s uniform must be removed, replace, or covered before the team member may continue to
                    participate in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by backofthenet
                      I agree with MA SOCCER. I really do not see any benefit to the parents footing the bill, whether a club is sponsored by a big sports name. We seem to pay just as much as everybody else. Which makes me wonder is there money given by these people such as NIKE etc. To clubs in the form of scholarship help or to defray costs of going to sponsored tournaments.And if so, where does it go?
                      It really depends on the club and thier tax status as in not for profit or otherwise.

MPS Super Y teams all have sponsorships from local business from sporting goods stores to companies like ocean spray since if the club is a non profit their sponsorship would be considered tax deductible for the contributing comapny.

If the club TRULY cares about kids whose parents don't work 6 jobs or otherwise own a money tree to afford to play club soccer and the travel associated with it they use such sponsorships to defray the costs. If not they keep it and use it to defray their own costs.

Comment

Thanks for the reply footy fan. I guess that there is little follow up from these larger sponsors with regard to how this money is used. I think they really believe that it is used to help out with inner city kids etc. But just by looking at the makeup of many of the top clubs, closer to the mark is that it is used elsewhere.Bottom line, as club soccer does not have to issue any fiscal statment nobody has any clue where their money goes!!! I am not saying anybody will be retiring at 50 from club soccer but a little more transparency would be great.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X