Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall '07 High School Season

Less than two weeks to go before teams can start to train for the upcoming HS season. I think they can start on Wed. August 22 and get in ten practice or scrimmage sessions before Labor Day. Which leagues are strongest? Who are the teams to watch? Who are the players to watch? What players are coming in as freshman that could make an impact? Boys - girls, south shore, northeast, central, west - - GO AT IT!!!

Girls North

In D1, I think it all starts with AB. They play in a solid league, have lots coming back and a bunch coming in as freshman. For them not to win EMass North would be a pretty big disapointment, look for Winchester and Masco to challenge. D2 is a mess. Fenwick, Swampscott, Danvers and North Andover are the class coming in, but the breaking up of the GBL could have an impact. Arlington is a darkhorse. In D3 it is Newburyport and St Marys.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostradamus
      Girls North

In D1, I think it all starts with AB. They play in a solid league, have lots coming back and a bunch coming in as freshman. For them not to win EMass North would be a pretty big disapointment, look for Winchester and Masco to challenge. D2 is a mess. Fenwick, Swampscott, Danvers and North Andover are the class coming in, but the breaking up of the GBL could have an impact. Arlington is a darkhorse. In D3 it is Newburyport and St Marys.
      Don't write-off L-S and Onthree. They had a tough year last year but lots of talent returning. They will give A-B some tough games.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
        Girls North

Don't write-off L-S and Onthree. They had a tough year last year but lots of talent returning. They will give A-B some tough games.
        I think LS lost a lot of seniors, are there that many talented So./Jrs.?, or do they have fresh talent coming up? I think AB probably is the team to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccer watcher
          Girls North

I think LS lost a lot of seniors, are there that many talented So./Jrs.?, or do they have fresh talent coming up? I think AB probably is the team to beat.
          I'm not an L-S parent but heard that there were serious chemistry issues last year. Sophomore group (including Onthree's daughter) are supposed to be very talented.

Comment

My pick for D2 North is Danvers
            Look for Andover to challenge AB in D1

Comment

Originally posted by Soccer watcher
              Girls North

I'm not an L-S parent but heard that there were serious chemistry issues last year. Sophomore group (including Onthree's daughter) are supposed to be very talented.
              They lost to Newton South and Wayland last year. I don't expect them to challenge AB

Comment

Danvers has a lot back and seems to always have a lot coming in. I know they have been very successful at MTOCs with these kids and I think they may have one or even two girls from the Stars U-14 team coming in as freshmen. Fenwick struggled some last year but they have some very nice talent too. In D1 I don't think Andover can compete with AB. They are solid and have great numbers but the AB program is just so stacked with talent. In D3 it is Newburyport all the way!!!

Comment

fall high school season

LS will have a good team. They should be strong defensively but will need a few goal scorers to challenge AB.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper Ship
                    Danvers has a lot back and seems to always have a lot coming in. I know they have been very successful at MTOCs with these kids and I think they may have one or even two girls from the Stars U-14 team coming in as freshmen. Fenwick struggled some last year but they have some very nice talent too. In D1 I don't think Andover can compete with AB. They are solid and have great numbers but the AB program is just so stacked with talent. In D3 it is Newburyport all the way!!!
                    2500 kids in their town youth soccer program including around 5 travel teams at each age level in ECYSA. I watched a Danvers U14 D1 Travel team handily beat a good D2 MAPLE team some years back. Danvers has a steady pipeline of experienced kids coming in. Their youth system has lots of good coaches. It is one of the best youth orgs in the state.

Comment

Keep an eye on Walpole girls in the Baystate. Though they graduated a bunch of seniors and have a new coach, the team should be built around a solid group that won at MTOC a few years ago. This group is now sophmores and juniors and should be in a position to impact.

Comment

South Shore Boys

D1 - Weymouth - always has a lot of talent, new coach
                        Marshfield - Fisher should be in college now
                        Brockton - always has tons of raw talent
                        D2 - Hingham - good coaching with quality players: F. Kelly, Morrissey, Canepa
                        Duxbury - new coach with a solid, young team, new GK from overseas???
                        Plymouth North - graduated only 5 seniors, could be a strong year
                        Sandwich - solid talent across the board with more upcoming
                        D3 - Norwell - Colin Henry, off to BU next year?

Comment

You need to add BC High to the mix of Boys. I think the entire Boys D1 large schools is up for grabs. No clear front runnners I can see. CM, Weymouth, Needham, Marshfield Brockton was out in first round last year so unless they have a lot of JV moving up not too sure about their status as a contender. Dartmouth was a player last year. Should be interesting season to watch....

Comment

Re: fall high school season

LS will have a good team. They should be strong defensively but will need a few goal scorers to challenge AB.
                            The talent is there. Coach will be key to success. Last year's team was challenging. This year should be much better.

Comment

You need to add BC High to the mix of Boys. I think the entire Boys D1 large schools is up for grabs. No clear front runnners I can see. CM, Weymouth, Needham, Marshfield Brockton was out in first round last year so unless they have a lot of JV moving up not too sure about their status as a contender. Dartmouth was a player last year. Should be interesting season to watch....
                              Needham graduated about 16 seniors last year, so they may take a season or two to regroup.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X