Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazil vs Mexico at Gillette

The following story by Frank DellApa appeared in the Globe today! The details are still coming with on sale details and everything, and you should get official notice of the on-sale time very soon from us! Save the Date!

"The Brazilians are coming. The Brazil men's national team will meet Mexico at 8 p.m. Sept. 12 at Gillette Stadium, the Seleção's first-ever appearance in the Boston area. The game is expected to be officially announced today.

The matchup was finalized in recent days and symbolically commemorated as the presidents of Brazil (Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva) and Mexico (Felipe Calderón) met in Mexico City yesterday. Justino Compeán, president of the Federacion Mexicana de Futbol, presented Brazil's president with a Mexico national team shirt with the No. 10 and his name inscribed.

"After our team, the Brazil team is the favorite among Mexicans," Calderón said.

Mexico won the most recent matchup, 2-0, in the first round of Copa America in Venezuela. But Brazil rallied to win the tournament, topping Argentina, 3-0, in the final July 15.

Kaká (Milan) and Ronaldinho (Barcelona) declined callups for Copa America but Brazil coach Dunga is expected to announce today that they will be on the roster for a friendly against Algeria in Montpellier, France, Aug. 22. Other candidates for the team include Ronaldo (Milan).

Dunga, who captained Brazil when it won the 1994 World Cup in the US, replaced Carlos Alberto Parreira as coach after the '06 World Cup. Ricardo Teixeira, president of the Confederação de Futebol Brasileira, recently criticized the conduct of the World Cup team, noted that Ronaldo was overweight in Germany, and said he named Dunga as coach to restore discipline and order in the squad.

Mexico tied the US, 2-2, in a World Cup qualifier before 57,407 spectators at Foxboro Stadium April 20, 1997. The Mexican team, which will play host to the US at Estadio Azteca Sept. 9, is promoted in the US by Soccer United Marketing, which is affiliated with Major League Soccer."
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

A better game :)

This should be a better game to watch than the Beckham game this Sunday.

I wish that it were not on a school night.

Maybe some HS soccer coaches would opt to take their teams to this game instead of a practice? :smt017

Comment

RONALDINHO AND KAKA TO STAR FOR BRAZIL SEPT. 12 VS. MEXICO AT GILLETE STADIUM

Ticket sales fast approaching 40,000 for Brazil’s first-ever trip to Foxborough

NEW YORK (Thursday, August 23, 2007) - Brazil’s national team head coach Dunga announced his roster for the international soccer match versus Mexico on Wednesday, September 12 , 2007 (8:30 p.m. ET) at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

The five-time World Champions Brazil will bring a full roster, led by two-time FIFA World Player of the Year and Barcelona midfielder Ronaldinho, and A.C. Milan midfielder Kaká, who led his club to the recent 2007 UEFA Champions League title.

Tickets sales are fast approaching 40,000 for Brazil’s first-ever trip to Foxborough. Tickets are as low as $30 and can be purchased by calling 1-877-GET-REVS, Ticketmaster (617-931-2222) or visiting the Gillette Stadium Box Office.

Mexico head coach Hugo Sanchez is expected to announce his roster the week of September 3.

The encounter between the two squads will mark the 34th meeting between Mexico and Brazil. Although the five-time World Cup champion, Brazil, has dominated “el Triâ€￾ with 19 wins, six ties and nine loses in more than 50 years of rivalry, Mexico has defeated Brazil in its last two encounters, the last of which was during this past summer’s Copa America, where Mexico was the sole country to defeat the eventual champions.

The last time that the Mexican National Team played in Foxboro was back in 1997, when they faced the United States National Team in a 2-2 tie in a World Cup qualifier. This game mark’s Brazil’s first-ever appearance in Foxborough, and just its second-even game in New England. On June 6, 1993, Brazil defeated the United States, 2-0, in New Haven, Conn.

ROSTER - BRAZIL

GOALKEEPERS: Doni (Roma / ITA), Julio César (Inter de Milan / ITA)

DEFENDERS: Daniel Alves (Sevilla / SPA), Gilberto (Hertha Berlín / GER), Kleber (Santos), Maicon (Inter de Milán / ITA), Ã￾lex (Chelsea / ENG), Ã￾ex Silva (Sao Paulo), Juan (Roma / ITA), Lucio (Bayern de Munich / GER)

MEDIOCAMPISTAS: Fernando (Bordeaux / FRA), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal / ENG), Josué (Sao Paulo), Mineiro (Hertha Berlín / GER), Diego (Werder Bremen / GER), Elano (Manchester City / ENG), Julio Baptista (Real Madrid-ESP), Kaká (Milán / ITA), Ronaldinho (Barcelona / SPA).

FORWARDS: Alfonso (Heerenveen / HOL), Robinho (Real Madrid / SPA), Vagner Love (CSKA Moscú / RUS)

Head coach: Dunga
      Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Should be a great game. All viewers will be gouged on the way to the stadium with a $40 parking fee. Season ticket holders for the revs will get a whopping $5 discount down to $35 if you pay AHEAD of time. Season ticket holders for the revs will also have their own lot to park in, which will be the east suite lots, so enjoy the game!
        Hey ref whats the call?
        Your missing a good game ref!
        Handball!
        Call it both ways!
        Oh, that was a foul!
        Are you kidding me?
        She was offsides ref!
        What are you blind?
        Hey ref, you wanna borrow my glasses?

Comment

Given that it is a school night and many HS soccer teams will have games, those youngsters who most want to see this game will be unable to attend.

We'll have to tape it and watch it later.

It will be a great atmosphere to be around. The crowd will be electric!

Comment

Makes me glad I work just down from the stadium. We park for FREE!!!!!!

Comment

Did anyone go? Any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                Did anyone go? Any comments?
                It was fantastic. Atmosphere and crowd were great. It was 67,000+ person party. Every parking area in and around the stadium was festive. Singing, car horns, plastic horns......

The anticipation of the Brazil supporters waiting for their heros to come out just for a warm up gave me shivers. The worship these people have for their teams is unlike anything in America.

And the soccer was wonderful. Mexico played well, but the game the Brazilians play is on another planet. 9 players moving gracefully off the ball creates a game of beauty.

Comment

I went. Didn't know there were that many Brazilians in New England. The stadium was a sea of yellow shirts! My only complaint, everytime Brazil touched the ball, every Brazilian fan stood up, so unless we did too we wouldn't have seen the game. We paid for seats we hardly used! Security was a little lax last night too and there was a lot of standing on the stairs which was annoying. That was a big contrast to how things were handled when Beckham was here. And speaking of Beckham, unlike Becks, Ronaldinho made a point of waving to the crowd when he first came out.

Mexico beat Brazil 2-0 the last time they played and they scored first last night only to have Brazil tie it a few minutes later. Brazil seemed just a little bit crisper and they are a lot bigger which might reflect the final results, but Mexico is definitely fun to watch. Though they are suppose to be the US's most hated rival, I found myself somewhat rooting for the underdog.

One thing I found interesting was how short a warm-up the Brazilians had before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vman971

Parking was $40!

Comment

Parking was $40!
                      gotta replace those video cameras the NFL took......

Comment

Parking was $40!
                        Yeah, there was one parking lot south of the stadium that said "$20: 1/2 stadium parking". That was our clue to park in a cheaper lot and walk. Which allowed us to beat the traffic.

But what an exciting carnival atmosphere!

Not surprised at all that Brazil fans, as I read it was only the second time they've played in New England? They were certainly pumped!

Comment

I went. Didn't know there were that many Brazilians in New England.
                          There are quite a few in NE, BUT.....

You should have looked in the parking lots, and at the cars STUCK in traffic. NY, NJ, PA, MD plates...there were lots of Brazilians in NE last night, but there are a lot fewer today!

I LOVE their passion for the game and their exuberence!

Great atmosphere, albeit a little close to the edge at times!

Comment

I took my 7 and 10 year old boys to the game. They love soccer and they love the Brazilian players -- maybe not as passionately as the true Brazilians though. They wore their Ronaldinho jerseys. It was more than a soccer game, it was an experience. "Wow" is the only word I can use to describe it.

The boys took their jerseys off in the car and were waving them around as I honked the horn with the Brazilians. And that started while we were in traffic on I-95 on the way to Gillette!

The atmosphere was unbelievable. We will never forget it. I thought my 7-year old would be asleep by half-time. Fat chance. In that environment, nobody was falling asleep. Lucky for us, people did sit down during most of the game. We were in the fourth row in one of the 300-something sections.

I parked in P10 and we were locked in there for probably an hour once we got back to our car. And yes, parking was >>very<< expensive. But overall, it was well worth it. We would do it again.

I didn't grow up playing soccer and so I've been learning and appreciating the game as my boys continue to play it. Tell you what, Brazil plays a beautiful game of soccer. It's a work of art.

Southside

Comment

We too thought it was an amazing experience. Took us 2 1/2 hours to get there from the Western Suburbs but 2 hours of that ride was wildly entertaining. We saw 2 cars showing Mexico flags and countless with Brazil flags, shirts, etc.

I hadn't watched Brazil play (on TV) for a couple of years and was surprised they'd changed their style of play so much. They played an amazing passing game, especially in the first half, with very little fancy footwork. Ronaldhino did one fancy number that sent the stadium into roars of delight but that was about it.

It was great to be a part of such a passionate crowd. Revs games (in terms of crowd participation) are sooooo dull compared to this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X