Alter Ego
08-01-2007, 07:54 AM
You wonder why HS and clubs can not keep quality coaches. Have a look
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/x241035069

Cujo
08-01-2007, 10:53 AM
You wonder why HS and clubs can not keep quality coaches. Have a look
http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/x241035069

Maybe it will have some credibility since I did not write the article. But I don't have any illusions. The article is spot on as to what I experienced. Things have changed. My father did not even know the names of my coaches.

Silence is golden from the nattering nabobs of negativity. Funny how they disappear when a credible article shows up in print. Truly amazing. I guess a troll can only be a troll and nothing else.

08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Absolutely spot on! It is interesting that coaches and clubs get called out here and elsewhere by the over-involved, egocentric parents that always know better. Maybe the reverse should apply and parents like this that cause trouble for other families, teams and coaches when their little superstar is not getting the playing time or showcasing they think they deserve should be known for the general benefit of the soccer community. Just as it helps everyone to know of a coach's character it would be great to know if my kid is thinking about joining a team with a known meddling over-the-top parent that will stop at nothing to further their own kid's progress at the expense of anyone else. We all know them and most are serial offenders :)

08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Absolutely spot on! It is interesting that coaches and clubs get called out here and elsewhere by the over-involved, egocentric parents that always know better. Maybe the reverse should apply and parents like this that cause trouble for other families, teams and coaches when their little superstar is not getting the playing time or showcasing they think they deserve should be known for the general benefit of the soccer community. Just as it helps everyone to know of a coach's character it would be great to know if my kid is thinking about joining a team with a known meddling over-the-top parent that will stop at nothing to further their own kid's progress at the expense of anyone else. We all know them and most are serial offenders :)

And at least one of them posts to this forum and has been the subject of their own thread just recently. :D

Cujo
08-06-2007, 02:36 PM

And at least one of them posts to this forum and has been the subject of their own thread just recently. :D

My daughter actually passed up on a slot with a D1 Suns team 7 years ago (roughly) based on what we saw and heard from the sidelines during tryouts. A clutch of 5 to 6 parents of incumbent players bashing the coach of the team and the kids trying out non-stop during the two hours. This coach was and continues to be one of the best around and forgotten more about than I or many of my peers ever knew. We ran for the hills and it was a great decision. We ran into them at the Beverly sunday morning indoor league that winter and there they were decked out in their Suns training suits at 5am in the morning. After sitting near them for the indoor season we knew we made the right decision. The problem parents are a small percentage size wise but they can cause alot of disruption. They usuall recruit a few gullible parents by year end so things actually get worse.

08-07-2007, 08:43 AM
My daughter actually passed up on a slot with a D1 Suns team 7 years ago (roughly) based on what we saw and heard from the sidelines during tryouts. A clutch of 5 to 6 parents of incumbent players bashing the coach of the team and the kids trying out non-stop during the two hours. This coach was and continues to be one of the best around and forgotten more about than I or many of my peers ever knew. We ran for the hills and it was a great decision. We ran into them at the Beverly sunday morning indoor league that winter and there they were decked out in their Suns training suits at 5am in the morning. After sitting near them for the indoor season we knew we made the right decision. The problem parents are a small percentage size wise but they can cause alot of disruption. They usuall recruit a few gullible parents by year end so things actually get worse.

Again spot on! Impressive are parents that avoid their approaches and see through it. I have seen parent groups both fall into this trap and also shun such tactics. The latter turned out much better and the team benefits from the troublemakers moving on, although, given their nature, it is rare that they do so quietly.

08-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Again spot on! Impressive are parents that avoid their approaches and see through it. I have seen parent groups both fall into this trap and also shun such tactics. The latter turned out much better and the team benefits from the troublemakers moving on, although, given their nature, it is rare that they do so quietly.

Some of us that have been around a while have a saying... "You don't cut players, you cut parents."