Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perspective

One of the recurrent themes in this forum is the perceived "mediocrity" of MAPLE and that "the good old days" were better.

I thought I'd relate an experience from a couple of years ago which may challenge this belief.

My older brother had two boys who came up though the MAPLE system. While the boys were involved my brother was involved with the club administration.

After being away for several years he came to a MAPLE game being played between my son's team and the club he had been involved with.

He was struck by the improved skill level and technical ability of the players on both sides (who were U12's at the time) as compared to what he had seen several years before. He has also seen my son play as a U15 and had much the same reaction.

I know it's anecdotal and is not meant to imply that there is not room for improvement, but I do believe that every once in a while it's nice to sit back and talk about what's going right with Youth Soccer instead of what we perceive and wrong about it.

After watching some of the U20 World Cup recently I was struck by the fact that the US team was not, at least in my opinion, outclassed by the European and South American squads. The players on that squad are the product of the system in this country (if I'm not mistaken one of then was a Bolts alumni).

Re: Perspective

Originally posted by Dad&Driver
    One of the recurrent themes in this forum is the perceived "mediocrity" of MAPLE and that "the good old days" were better.

I thought I'd relate an experience from a couple of years ago which may challenge this belief.

My older brother had two boys who came up though the MAPLE system. While the boys were involved my brother was involved with the club administration.

After being away for several years he came to a MAPLE game being played between my son's team and the club he had been involved with.

He was struck by the improved skill level and technical ability of the players on both sides (who were U12's at the time) as compared to what he had seen several years before. He has also seen my son play as a U15 and had much the same reaction.

I know it's anecdotal and is not meant to imply that there is not room for improvement, but I do believe that every once in a while it's nice to sit back and talk about what's going right with Youth Soccer instead of what we perceive and wrong about it.

After watching some of the U20 World Cup recently I was struck by the fact that the US team was not, at least in my opinion, outclassed by the European and South American squads. The players on that squad are the product of the system in this country (if I'm not mistaken one of then was a Bolts alumni).
    The level of soccer has improved across the nation. The "mediocrity" of MAPLE is that it has not improved or even changed to match the National trend. 7 game seasons built around the State Cup, and the movment between divisions are but a few of the issues. MAPLE has fallen behind because it has stood still as soccer has moved forward

I thought I'd relate an experience from a couple of

Comment

My opinion... The girls soccer is better now than it was 5 years ago. There are more clubs developing players and teams effectively. Those clubs are competing far more succesfully around Region 1 and occasionally nationally.

Including MAPLE in the discussion regarding the level of play almost doesnt make sense. MAPLE is a legaue that soccer clubs play in. It is the soccer clubs job to develop the players and teams, not the leagues. There are so many other opportunities to develop teams with now that MAPLE is only part of the equation.

Comment

I would agree with your brother D&D and I would be basing my opinion on having 2 daughters 8 years apart in age. The younger daughter was grasping concepts at U10 and U11 that her older sister wasn't even introduced to until around high school age. The town coaches my younger daughter has had have to be given credit as well as her club coaches, so as Fred has said MAPLE is just 1 part of the total equation.

I'm curious who that Bolts alumni might be.

And BTW, just looking at the U20 player pool, 16 of the 32 players are playing in MLS, 6 in Europe or Mexico and 9 play in college.
        Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

As Fred just said, Club have been getting better and MAPLE is less important than in was 5 years ago. The mediocrity of MAPLE is the reason that it has failed to keep up with Clubs.

Comment

The mediocrity of MAPLE is the reason that it has failed to keep up with Clubs.
            What do you think needs to change?
            Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X