•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Azul wrap up on Soccer Banter

CFC Azul Wraps Up Inaugural Season
    07/20/20120 Comments

CFC Azul finished off their inaugural season in the United Soccer League PDL with a 6-5-5, which was good for a share of fourth place in the highly competitive Northeast Division. *To wrap up the season and look forward, Soccer Banter spoke with three prominent figures from the Azul: Head Coach Dave Kelly, President Steve Coxon, and midfielder Jesse Menzies.

Soccer Banter:* What are your thoughts on the first season for CFC Azul? What game or moment sticks out in your mind the most from the 2012 PDL Season?

Dave Kelly: I really enjoyed my first season coaching in the PDL. *The level is very good, and there's a lot of parity between the teams. *There were several standout moments, but playing Boston and Vermont back-to-back and winning 6-0 and 4-0 respectively was certainly a highlight. *I am proud of the football that CFC played. *We really tried to pass the ball, and to let the players have the freedom to express themselves and enjoy their football. *In that sense, we were successful. *The club is confident that we made a good first impression on the league, and on the players. *We want CFC to be a sought after destination by the league's top players, and I think we're on our way to achieving that. *Hopefully, next year we'll have one consistent home venue, which will also help.

SB:* Looking back on the season, what areas did the Azul come up short and what needs to change in order to take the team to the playoffs in 2013?

DK:* It's obvious that there was always going to be a learning curve, and that was unavoidable. *In moving forward, we will need to make sure that when selecting the roster, we maximize production from the eight overage players, and the eight foreign spots available to us. *After seeing the quality of play in the league, I am happy with the talent that we put on the field. *But we can do better – we can put out a team that is even more balanced and with even more quality. *Next year we will do just that. *We are committed to playing attacking, entertaining football with players that have a high level of technique and athleticism. *This year was really enjoyable, and next year will be even better!

SB: *What were your thoughts on the first season with CFC Azul?

Jesse Menzies: *It was a very successful inaugural season for CFC. We managed to place 4th in our conference, but if luck went our way, we could have easily finished in the top 2.* It was good to finally have a team to play for in Connecticut.* There is so much talent here and most of the guys know each other, so it was definitely a good atmosphere to play in everyday. Lastly, I think the team as a whole created a big fan base.* Since our home games were played at various locations, we gained a lot of publicity and much of the soccer playing/watching population in CT will come watch games next year.

SB: How will the past few months help you in your upcoming season with CCSU and what goals do you have for soccer after graduation?

JM: *These past few months will definitely help me because playing in the PDL means I have been playing with some of the top collegiate players in the country.* I*believe I have lifted my game by playing against top quality competition. Also, playing everyday under great coaches has really improved my fitness level.* I can honestly say that I’m in the best shape of my life.* After CCSU, I would like to come back to CFC and help them improve as a club. I have aspirations of going pro and I am going to work hard to do so.

SB:*Looking back on the season, from a business standpoint: what worked, was the club able to reach its goals with attendance, what did you learn, what will you look to change in the future?

Steve Coxon:**Was the season a success? I would say yes both on and off the field.

We have built a very solid foundation in CT. We hit many of our goals, we ran a first class operation for the players (thanks to GM Robin Schuppert, Coach Dave Kelly and their staff) and we believe we will reap the rewards next year when the word gets out.*

Stadiums were a challenge, moving from town to town was difficult on our staff and almost impossible to build any sort of fan base as we were constantly *having to re-educate the soccer community exactly who we were. Next year we will be located out of one venue with maybe 2 games in the south of the state. Hopefully we will have that locked in place before the PDL meetings in December.

We did learn a great deal about the PDL, most importantly how difficult it is to get a regular crowd to attend the games, so many factors come into play, the weather, the day, the kick off time, the marketing and the relationships with the local town soccer community. This year we went into the season totally blind. Next year, with a year under our belt, we feel confident that we can improve the attendance numbers considerably. We are already in the process of offering season tickets to every male player in our youth system, with over 30 teams that is over 600 season tickets holders guaranteed for the 2012/13 season.

SB: *On the field, what were your thoughts on the first season for the Azul, what did you think of the overall level of the PDL and where does the team go from here?

SC: *As for what occurred on the field, the Northeast division was very, very evenly balanced. I have never witnessed a league with so many draws. The top six teams were capable of beating each other every night. The Northeast Final even went into OT as the two teams could not be separated in regulation. Ottawa eventually won the league and that's a team we beat at home 2-0 and lost 1-0 on a late winner in Canada. We will be right in the mix next year with a few key additions, especially a couple of older more experienced players to compliment our athleticism and talent.

Already looking forward to next year!

Mandatory ticket purchases for all CFC boys players in the club coming soon?

Comment

I am remember a few years back, it was the CFC Passion on the girls side, and the big fan fare. Now the top of the pyramid for the girls side is silent. Maybe because they went without a win this year, 0-7-3. Hmmmm....

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Ima...%20Pyramid.bmp

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I am remember a few years back, it was the CFC Passion on the girls side, and the big fan fare. Now the top of the pyramid for the girls side is silent. Maybe because they went without a win this year, 0-7-3. Hmmmm....

http://files.leagueathletics.com/Ima...%20Pyramid.bmp
        The top of the girls pyramid is college and a job. Settle down.

Comment

Tough crowd......

Women's soccer at this level is tough to pull off. We have to ask girls to commit to driving to trips as far as New Hampshire during their off season....not easy to do. The rosters are never the same two games in a row and practice attendance is hit or miss.

I have been impressed with the Breakers averaging 2000 plus crowds but they do have National team players on their roster.....very curious as to what sort of salary these players are on.....even with crowds of 2000 I would imagine the Breakers are still losing money week after week.
          Anyone shed more light on the Breakers operation?

SC

Comment

Breakers Season comes to an end

Breakers fall to Chicago in WPSL Elite semifinals

NORWOOD, MA (July 26, 2012) -*After going down, 1-0, early and losing a key piece of the starting back line due to an injury less than 15 minutes into the match, the Breakers had a tough time recovering. And despite a late goal to get back into the game, the Breakers came up just short against the Chicago Red Stars in the WPSL Elite semifinals.*

The 3-1 loss Wedneday night at Sahlen’s Stadium in Rochester, N.Y., ended Boston’s phenomenal run, one that led the Breakers to the WPSL Elite regular season title.

"We just didn’t have it. We were outmanned in the midfield. We needed people to step up, and it didn’t happen. We had too many pieces missing with*Cat*(Whitehill) missing and losing*Courtney*(Jones) early," Breakers Head Coach*Lisa Cole*said. "We came out and had a good attack (in the second half), and they countered, and our midfield didn’t recover."

Lauren Fowlkes opened the scoring for the Red Stars, putting home a corner kick by Lori Chalupny. The score remained 1-0 in favor of Chicago entering the second half, but less than 10 minutes in, Chalupny took a feed from Ella Masar to take a 2-0 advantage. Julianne Sitch combined with Masar to set up the third and final Chicago goal, which came in the 66th minute. Prior to that goal, Boston nearly pulled within one. Seconds after entering the game in the 56th minute, Australian midfielder*Tameka Buttcame close to scoring on her first touch of the game, latching onto a loose ball in the corner, but her shot was stopped by Chicago keeper Jamie Forbes.

The Breakers made a late push and scored in the 80th minute. After a failed clearance by Chicago, the Breakers took advantage of the miscue.*Amanda DaCosta, in her return from a high ankle sprain that sidelined the midfielder for the past two weeks, scored her first goal of the season, which made it a 3-1 game. But the Red Stars held on for the win, which sends them to the WPSL Elite Championship against the Western New York Flash, who beat the New York Fury, 2-1, in the first semifinal Wednesday night.

GOALS:*
            Lauren Fowlkes (Lori Chalupny) 14’
            Lori Chalupny (Ella Masar) 54’
            Ella Masar (Julianne Sitch) 66’
            Amanda DaCosta (Unassisted) 80’

LINEUPS:
            Chicago:*Jamie Forbes, Mary Therese McDonnell, Lauren Fowlkes, Jackie Santacaterina (Lauren Alkek 90’), Michelle Wenino, Julianne Sitch (Shayla Mutz 81’), Alyssa Mautz, Lori Chalupny, Jen Buczkowski, Ella Masar (Ashlee Elliott 90’), Michele Weissenhofer (Ashleigh Ellenwood 75’)

Boston:*Alice Binns, Courtney Jones (Katherine Donnelly 13’), Taryn Hemmings, Julie King, Elli Reed, Leslie Osborne, Bianca D’Agostino (Amanda DaCosta 59’), Melissa Henderson, Jess Luscinski (Tameka Butt 56’), Kyah Simon, Katie Schoepfer

STATS:
            Shots:*Chicago 12, Boston 7
            Shots on Goal:*Chicago 6, Boston 4
            Fouls:*Chicago 7, Boston 2

Comment

Tough crowd......

Women's soccer at this level is tough to pull off. We have to ask girls to commit to driving to trips as far as New Hampshire during their off season....not easy to do. The rosters are never the same two games in a row and practice attendance is hit or miss.

I have been impressed with the Breakers averaging 2000 plus crowds but they do have National team players on their roster.....very curious as to what sort of salary these players are on.....even with crowds of 2000 I would imagine the Breakers are still losing money week after week.

SC
              Steve, yes this is a tough crowd... While I am a parent with a rival club I feel your model on the girls side is 2nd to none. I think the Passion makes sense as you can field a team with most if not all current and/or former cfc players. I think travel is a drawback since this is summer after all and even the most competitive, dedicated players don't mind a little break. With that, your teams have been competitive in most seasons and this is probably your worst season to date.

I do think you were a little ambitious starting a PDL team on the boys side and what I mean by ambitious is it will be a good 6-8 years before you will be able to use a roster of mostly cfc players as your team. Until then the azul will be made up of current and former college players who have played for clubs other than yours. Again, I know you have to start somewhere and I applaud your effort to try and have an avenue for both boys and girls teams.

As far as drawing players to games, I think you know it will always be a tough sell and you are basically making a donation to the game of soccer.I'm sure you are hoping to get lots of sponsors every year but hoping to get 1,500 to a home game has to be close to impossible. I'm sure Passion attendence is mostly family and some friends and maybe some club players but other than that there is way too much going on in everyone's lives these days to make time for a semi pro women's game. Even if you didn't charge admission to Azul games you would still struggle to get 500 to a game other than current CFC kids. It's just the way it is.

Once again, good on you for being like the New York Yankees and never resting on your laurels. It will force my club and others to keep their feet on the gas and not be content as you will be right there on their tails.

Comment

Tough crowd......

SC
                SC - I think even you have to admit that the Passion may have not been the highest priority for CFC this season. Agree that it is tough at this age group but the other teams that the Passion played seemed to handle it pretty well. I understand they even had to resort to pulling players up from their United 15 and 16s on occasion just to field a team with a few subs.

That is one of the attractions for younger players within CFC to have this chance, but it it pretty unfair and frustrating to the college girls that do commit to the team but then can't really compete.

Comment

give it (2) years and the same will happen on the boys side

Comment

Agreed ...We are re-evaluating the CFC Passion program for next year.
                    Now that we have a full time GM working on the AZUL side we maybe able to utilize some of the AZUL resources, interns, offices, staff etc.

Obviously the major drawback with both teams is financial...both programs ran at a loss this year and we are going to have to work hard to secure sponsors and advertising dollars to enable us to run both operations at the highest level possible. Teams at this level cannot survive on attendance alone....however we are passionate about offering players the top level of soccer (outside of college) in the state and we will do all we can to make both programs financially sustainable.

SC

Comment

give it (2) years and the same will happen on the boys side
                      What will happen in 2 years on the boys side?

Comment

Agreed ...We are re-evaluating the CFC Passion program for next year.
                        Now that we have a full time GM working on the AZUL side we maybe able to utilize some of the AZUL resources, interns, offices, staff etc.

Obviously the major drawback with both teams is financial...both programs ran at a loss this year and we are going to have to work hard to secure sponsors and advertising dollars to enable us to run both operations at the highest level possible. Teams at this level cannot survive on attendance alone....however we are passionate about offering players the top level of soccer (outside of college) in the state and we will do all we can to make both programs financially sustainable.

SC
                        Well, at least it's nice to have so many average premier youth team parents paying up those big yearly fees who don't mind subsidizing the financial losses of the few at the top level.

Comment

Well, at least it's nice to have so many average premier youth team parents paying up those big yearly fees who don't mind subsidizing the financial losses of the few at the top level.
                          This is not SC replying (apparently he signs his own posts) but what does it matter how the owner of a club spends his profits?? Would you be happier if there were no Passion or Azul and CFC's owners bought sports cars or sailboats instead??

Unless there's something I'm missing here, CFC is creating these additional opportunities for players at a cost and with very little chance of ever recouping the loss. In addition to CFC owners, CFC parents also donate $ to support the Passion organization. Are we bad too for converting our honestly earned paychecks into financial support for these teams??

As far as being "average premier youth teams"... At which age level is CFC not among the strongest teams in the state? Using last year's age designations... U12: 3 of the top 4. U13: 2 of the top 4. U14: 2 of the top 4. U15+: CFC United.

You are really searching for a complaint if you are upset by CFC supporting Passion and Azul teams.

Comment

Would have been a "nice bloody car " the money we spent on the AZUL!!!!

Hoping for big things out of the team over the next few years.....dare we dream of breaking even next year??? .....just read that Swansea are playing a PDL team in California this weekend....we are still searching for that "big club" to play next year!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...you don't like the AZUL no worries...I don't like Spurs!

SC

Comment

Boucher Named All-Conference
                              HAMDEN,CT - The USL PDL announced today that defender Pat Boucher has been named to the ALL-Conference team for the 2012 PDL season.*
                              Boucher was one of 11 players to be named All-conference in the Eastern Conference and one of four players in the Northeast Division to be honored. Joining Boucher in the division is Ottawa Fury defender Marcello Castro along with midfielder Jason Massie of GPS Portland and forward Alencar Junior of the Worcester Hydra.
                              "I am proud to say that Pat Boucher has earned All-Conference playing for CFC Azul in the PDL," Azul head coach David Kelly said. "There were only four players from our division to make the team, so it's a real honor. He had a tremendous year, and I can count the number of times where an attacker got the better of him on one hand. He is the type of player that CFC will be building our future on: fast, skillful, and very athletic.*I hope he plays for the Azul again next year, but I hope even more that we are all watching him on TV in a top league next year!"
                              Boucher played in 13 games this season for the Azul registering 1131 minutes and six shots. His play was recognized outside of the PDL as the New England Revolution's reserve squad called him up on June 10th as they faced the reserve squad of the Columbus Crew.
                              Before being named All-Conference of the USL PDL, Boucher, a native of Cromwell, Conn. played four years at the University of Hartford. At Cromwell High School he was named the Hartford Courant Player of the year his senior season.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X