Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you thought soccer parents were a little zealous

A 6 year old traveling 1,000 miles to a tournament????? (sigh............)

I know, I know.... I am "anti-excellence"...............

Johnson places sixth in regional tennis tournament

July 24, 2007 6:00 AM
    North Hampton's Magnus Johnson, 6, placed sixth in the 8-and-under regional round of the MCB Tennis Tournament played July 13-15 at the Homewood-Flossmoor Racquet Club in Homewood, Ill. Magnus competed against other sectional winners from the Midwest, Eastern and Middle states. With the top four players moving on to the nationals in Texas, Magnus now serves as an alternate should a player be needed. Magnus qualified for the regionals by reaching the finals of the New England section of "Lil Mo," MCB Foundation's 8-and-under tournament that was held June 2-3 at the Woburn Racquet Club in Woburn, Mass. "Lil Mo" is a program of the Maureen Connolly Brinker Tennis Foundation offering an opportunity for younger players to compete against others of the same age, at the sectional, regional, national and international levels. Magnus plays at the Smart Tennis Center in Hampton. He is coached by Mark Moulton and trains at the Bustoff Tennis Academy headed by Barry Caron.
    Of course!
    100.00%
    No!
    0.00%

Re: If you thought soccer parents were a little zealous

Originally posted by Cujo

North Hampton's Magnus Johnson, 6, placed sixth in the 8-and-under regional round of the MCB Tennis Tournament played July 13-15 at the Homewood-Flossmoor Racquet Club in Homewood, Ill. Magnus competed against other sectional winners from the Midwest, Eastern and Middle states. With the top four players moving on to the nationals in Texas, Magnus now serves as an alternate should a player be needed. Magnus qualified for the regionals by reaching the finals of the New England section of "Lil Mo," MCB Foundation's 8-and-under tournament that was held June 2-3 at the Woburn Racquet Club in Woburn, Mass. "Lil Mo" is a program of the Maureen Connolly Brinker Tennis Foundation offering an opportunity for younger players to compete against others of the same age, at the sectional, regional, national and international levels. Magnus plays at the Smart Tennis Center in Hampton. He is coached by Mark Moulton and trains at the Bustoff Tennis Academy headed by Barry Caron.
    This is not uncommon in tennis.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous

I suppose the same can be said for figure skating. I guess I can get my arms around local and even regional tourneys, but it is the national stuff that is kind of freaky. I always think of Tracy Austin who walked away at a young age or the problems Capriati had and then staged a marvelous comeback, and then there is Evert who excelled from such a young age and for so long. I guess how this kid will do will depend on his support structure and mental makeup.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous

I suppose the same can be said for figure skating. I guess I can get my arms around local and even regional tourneys, but it is the national stuff that is kind of freaky. I always think of Tracy Austin who walked away at a young age or the problems Capriati had and then staged a marvelous comeback, and then there is Evert who excelled from such a young age and for so long. I guess how this kid will do will depend on his support structure and mental makeup.
        If I had a tennis player, gymnast, swimmer, etc that showed promise at a young age, I would drive further for a signifiicantly better coach/trainer.

Comment

What about the gymnasts who compete in the olympics as young teenagers and in some cases in their pre teenage years

Comment

6 years of age is a little extreme, I really think that it's tough enough being a kid than to add on that kind of pressure especially non-team oriented sports. There is a lot riding on this youngster, sure he sounds like a phenom, but parents need to know when to put on the brakes a bit. Of course you could mention phenoms like Tiger Woods to show the success stories, but he is certainly the exception to the rule. I still wonder what regrets he has when he looks back at those younger years and wonders what it would have been like to just be a "normal" kid

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X