PDA

View Full Version : Boys U14 ODP National Camp

Zap
07-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Congratulations to the MA boys invited to National Camp:

U-14 National Development Program
U-14 Boys' National Development Program Rosters Named for Identification Camp

CHICAGO (July 25, 2007) – The U.S. Under-14 Boys' Development Program's 119-player roster was released today for their weeklong identification camp from July 29-Aug. 4 at Middlesex School in Concord, Mass.

The 119 players were selected from the four Regions across the United States. Region I had the most players with 38, followed by Region IV (31), Region III (26) and Region II (24).

U.S. Under-14 Boys Technical Director Manny Schellscheidt will run the camp, along with a number of assistants. (Click here for a Schellsheidt’s thoughts as he prepares for the camp next week.)

In recent years, the United States’ play at the Youth National Team level has confirmed its status as the top youth nation in CONCACAF and one of the most improved in the world. In existence since 1997, the U.S. Under-14 National Team program is a major reason for the increasing quantity and quality of young players vying for spots in the U.S. Youth National Teams program.

In August of 1997, U.S. Soccer started the U.S. Under-14 National Development Program, knowing that to continue to compete with the elite countries on the international level, the U.S. would have to build a base of soccer players from the youth level up. The Under-14 program introduces young players to a level of soccer they would not otherwise see at such a young age and allows the country’s top youths the chance to experience soccer at its highest level and in an international setting.

“One thing we have always tried at these camps is to make the game itself the teacher,â€￾ said Schellscheidt. “We let the game and the situations guide the teaching. Just to see the talent of some of those 14-year-olds is amazing. With programs like this we are putting ourselves in a position where the young players coming through our Youth National Team system can play with any other youth players in the world.â€￾

The players for the Under-14 Identification Camp are selected by regional USYS ODP coaches, with each region sending at least 20 players and sometimes as many as 35 to the weeklong camp. At the national camp the players receive instruction and play games for a week, while being watched, evaluated and directed by U.S. Soccer’s National Staff coaches, U.S. Soccer coaches and other regional and state coaches.

At the Boys’ Under-14 Identification Camp the teams play twice a day, training in the morning and playing matches in the evening. The coaches at the camp stressed problem-solving within the game, speed of play and competing in competitive environments.

"We don’t even have a set curriculum," said Schellscheidt. "We evaluate every day in the evening, and then decide what to do from there, and see what is best for everybody on the next day. And the coaches, the staff enjoy the freedom to do what they think is best for the players in the training sessions.

After the large initial camp in Massachusetts, fewer players are selected for additional camps throughout the year.

U-14 Identification Camp Rosters By Region

Region I (38): Dakota Banathan (Massapequa, N.Y.), Daniel Bedoya (Jackson Heights, N.Y.), Alexander Bello (New York, N.Y.), Kyle Bitterman (Lancaster, Pa.), Maximillian Brown (New York, N.Y.), Steven Carvajal (Astoria, N.Y.), Mael Corboz (Green Brook, N.J.), Michael Czyrnek (Hillsborough, N.J.), Philip Denara (West Islip, N.Y.), Devon Devoy (North Attleboro, Mass.), Jackson Eskay (Mount Airy, Md.), Diego Fagundez (Leominster, Mass.), Joseph Farrell (Blue Bell, Pa.), Christian Fechter (Westfield, N.J.), Aaron Freeman (Piscataway, N.J.), Malcolm Harris (Damascus, N.J.), Matt Headley (Marlborough, Mass.), John Hilger (Hopkinton, Mass.), Robert Kcira (New City, N.Y.), Shane McNamara (Arlington, Va.), Collin Martin (Chevy Chase, Md.), Brendan McSherry (Freehold, N.J.), Michael Mecham (Blacksburg, Va.), Dakota Niedermeier (Arnold, Md.), Zachary Pfeffer (Dresher, Pa.), Isaac Pitkow (Jenkintown, Pa.), Jalen Robinson (Catonsville, Md.), Luke Rossi (East Hanover, N.J.), Michael Russo (McLean, Va.), Jacob Shenk (Flemington, N.J.), Forest Sisk (Sudbury, Mass.), Morgan Smith (Ballston Spa, N.Y.), Rohan Sood (Short Hills, N.J.), Ross Tetro (Marlboro, N.J.), John Villantoy (Maspeth, N.J.), Edward Viscount (Smithtown, N.Y.), Todd Wharton (Glen Allen, Va.), Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu (Bellingham, Mass.)

07-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Anyone know what clubs they play for?

teskicks
07-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Devon Devoy just left Eastern Mass FC to join FCGB

07-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Forest Sisk is with FCGB.

I believe Diego Fegundez is with FC United.

quasi23
07-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Forest Sisk is with FCGB.

....and the son of one of the regular contributors on the board. Congrats!!!

:D

Zap
07-26-2007, 09:42 AM
If you want to see the whole article, including comments from head coach Manny Schellscheidt and the players from all Regions:

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 05659.html (http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_1605659.html)

And his thought on the players, and how camp will work:

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 05661.html (http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_1605661.html)

MASoccer
07-26-2007, 09:42 AM
I counted 6 U13 boys selected for the U14 national camp. This is the most MA boys selected for the camp in four years.

The past U14 camps were:

'91 pool
Scotty Caldwell (SSU/ Bradenton)
Jeff Lowell (Inter)
Tomasso D'Agostino (through CT ODP/ Oakwood lives in Longmeadow, MA)

'92 Pool
Jamie Doherty (NEE)
Luke Finkelstein (Aztecs/ Blast)
David Robinson (Bolts/ NEE)

'93 pool
Will Packwood (Bolts/ Birmingham City Premiership)
Felix DeBona (Blast)

Although the U13 ODP/ U14 national pool has a connection with Mario Prata they have not been as succesfull on the boys side in placing players at the camp. Historically, PA-E, MD, and NY-E always seemed to dominate. This year seems to be the exception, wondering if there was that much of a difference in the skill level than previous years, or if MA just taken a bit more seriously?

07-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I counted 6 U13 boys selected for the U14 national camp. This is the most MA boys selected for the camp in four years.

The past U14 camps were:

'91 pool
Jeff Lowell (Inter)

'92 Pool
Jamie Doherty (NEE)

'93 pool
Felix DeBona (Blast)

Although the U13 ODP/ U14 national pool has a connection with Mario Prata they have not been as succesfull on the boys side in placing players at the camp. Historically, PA-E, MD, and NY-E always seemed to dominate. This year seems to be the exception, wondering if there was that much of a difference in the skill level than previous years, or if MA just taken a bit more seriously?

Don't know if this poster selectively left off some of the clubs these boys have played with, or maybe they are not as informed as they think they are. But the post should have looked like this:

b]'91 pool [/b]
Jeff Lowell (Inter)

'92 Pool
Jamie Doherty (Explosion/NEE)
David Robinson (Bolts/ NEE/Bolts)

'93 pool
Will Packwood (Inter/Bolts/ Birmingham City Premiership)
Felix DeBona (Blast)

MASoccer
07-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Don't know if this poster selectively left off some of the clubs these boys have played with, or maybe they are not as informed as they think they are. But the post should have looked like this:

No slight intended, I was actually just looking at the past year. Did mean to include Robinson as going back to the Bolts, just wrote it the wrong way.

FSM
07-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I smell onions again.

07-26-2007, 10:04 AM

No slight intended, I was actually just looking at the past year. Did mean to include Robinson as going back to the Bolts, just wrote it the wrong way.

OK. I know the original clubs would not like to feel slighted. They can get pretty touchy about that stuff, and certainly had a hand in the progression of the players.

MASoccer
07-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I smell onions again.

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/sarcastic.gif http://www.pic4ever.com/images/sarcastic.gif http://www.pic4ever.com/images/sarcastic.gif

MASoccer
07-26-2007, 10:10 AM
OK. I know the original clubs would not like to feel slighted. They can get pretty touchy about that stuff, and certainly had a hand in the progression of the players.

Don't disagree, but you took care of that so let's move on and keep on topic.

07-26-2007, 10:24 AM

The past U14 camps were:

'91 pool
Jeff Lowell (Inter)

'92 Pool
Jamie Doherty (NEE)

'93 pool
Felix DeBona (Blast)

b]'91 pool [/b]
Jeff Lowell (Inter)

'92 Pool
Jamie Doherty (Explosion/NEE)
David Robinson (Bolts/ NEE/Bolts)

'93 pool
Will Packwood (Inter/Bolts/ Birmingham City Premiership)
Felix DeBona (Blast)

One additional correction: 1991 pool player Lowell started at Juventus.

07-26-2007, 03:08 PM
If Honest Abe and MA Soccer seem to know in detail the soccer pedigrees of these players involved in the regional and national pools and camps over the past few years, do you also have knowledge of the final rosters of the U-16 clubs that have been discussed on this forum, pertaining to MAPLE Div 1 and the USSF Developmental Academy? There has been a lot of talk (more speculation) about which players do and don't wish to leave MAPLE to be part of the Academy system, and who's moving from which club to which other club. So, the rest of us want to know the latest from those (seemingly) in the know!

07-26-2007, 03:15 PM
If Honest Abe and MA Soccer seem to know in detail the soccer pedigrees of these players involved in the regional and national pools and camps over the past few years, do you also have knowledge of the final rosters of the U-16 clubs that have been discussed on this forum, pertaining to MAPLE Div 1 and the USSF Developmental Academy? There has been a lot of talk (more speculation) about which players do and don't wish to leave MAPLE to be part of the Academy system, and who's moving from which club to which other club. So, the rest of us want to know the latest from those (seemingly) in the know!

I hope you're not expecting them to actually name the players. Apart from the privacy issues (as opposed to US Soccer's publishing of the National Camp kids), what does it really matter to any of us who is on a club roster? If the club or team wants that information out there, they'll put it on their web site.

07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Well for one thing, they've already named a bunch of players, so what would be the difference? However, what I really meant had more to do with the movements of individuals or groups of kids between teams, and into and away from the Academy program, that was more the intention of my question. There seems to be a major shake-up at the boys rising U 16 level, that was the real subject I was asking about.

07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Well for one thing, they've already named a bunch of players, so what would be the difference? However, what I really meant had more to do with the movements of individuals or groups of kids between teams, and into and away from the Academy program, that was more the intention of my question. There seems to be a major shake-up at the boys rising U 16 level, that was the real subject I was asking about.

As I said, US Soccer releases the names, and I believe the players sign a release allowing US Soccer to release their names.

And as I also said, no club will release their roster names simply to make us less curious.

07-26-2007, 04:57 PM

No players from Inter U15, rising U16 went to the academy (FYI-J Lowell played at Juv as a U10 playing up in U11. He has been at Inter from true U11-now)

MASoccer
07-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Other than a couple of players, I wouldn't have any knowledge of who the final roster is for the academy team. As stated, the U14 national camp posts its rosters every year, the Bolts usually post their rosters, but it remains to be seen if they will do this for the academy. http://www.bluesombrero.com/Default.aspx?tabid=23823 is the url for the current U15 Bolts team. This is the spring 2007 roster, any changes will be listed here if they d choose to post it.

07-26-2007, 08:23 PM

No players from Inter U15, rising U16 went to the academy

Why would they? They've had it beaten into them that the Bolts are the mortal enemy for the last 5 years.

MASoccer
07-26-2007, 08:52 PM

Why would they? They've had it beaten into them that the Bolts are the mortal enemy for the last 5 years.

And this comment is based on what exactly???

07-27-2007, 07:21 AM

You must think you are the only one with a kid who has a "friend" on the team? Some of us are as close as you are, and some are even closer.

MASoccer
07-27-2007, 12:42 PM

You must think you are the only one with a kid who has a "friend" on the team? Some of us are as close as you are, and some are even closer.

Still not understanding your comment. It seems more like arbitrary gossip. What makes you say that they've had it beaten into them for the last 5 years. Bolts didn't even come into the limelight until U12. Last year there were two players from Inter that left for the Bolts. Doesn't seem like they were envisioning them as their Mortal Enemy.

07-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Still not understanding your comment. It seems more like arbitrary gossip. What makes you say that they've had it beaten into them for the last 5 years. Bolts didn't even come into the limelight until U12. Last year there were two players from Inter that left for the Bolts. Doesn't seem like they were envisioning them as their Mortal Enemy.

I can see why you wouldn't understand it. You see it all the way from Western MA. But it must come into better focus when you make that long drive east?

And who haven't they beaten since U12? That would be the Bolts.

And how long were those 2 players at Inter before leaving? That would be exactly a single spring season. They loved it that much, eh?

MASoccer
07-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I can see why you wouldn't understand it. You see it all the way from Western MA. But it must come into better focus when you make that long drive east?

And how long were those 2 players at Inter before leaving? That would be exactly a single spring season. They loved it that much, eh?

I am not one to argue the merits of Inter and whether or not it is a team at the same caliber of the Bolts. It was only your accusation that it has been beaten into them for the last 5 years that Bolts are the mortal enemy. It's a ridiculous comment made by a parent that somehow feels threatened by this team, probably living vicariously through his son. What did they do personally to you, to make such a broad accusation? You painted a picture of an anti-Bolts team, your evidence to prove your point is that the Bolts have always beaten them. This would be true for most of the teams within D1. Rivalries will always be present among players, but when they end up playing together on high school, DS, and/or ODP, it tends to become very trivial. It's adults like yourself that want to start rumours that have no merit. Are there anti-Bolts parents, you betcha! I would say there are just as many on NEE, Western United, Crusaders, Juventus, North Shore, etc.. So move along, get a life and let the boys play...

07-27-2007, 01:51 PM

I am not one to argue the merits of Inter and whether or not it is a team at the same caliber of the Bolts. It was only your accusation that it has been beaten into them for the last 5 years that Bolts are the mortal enemy. It's a ridiculous comment made by a parent that somehow feels threatened by this team, probably living vicariously through his son. What did they do personally to you, to make such a broad accusation? You painted a picture of an anti-Bolts team, your evidence to prove your point is that the Bolts have always beaten them. This would be true for most of the teams within D1. Rivalries will always be present among players, but when they end up playing together on high school, DS, and/or ODP, it tends to become very trivial. It's adults like yourself that want to start rumours that have no merit. Are there anti-Bolts parents, you betcha! I would say there are just as many on NEE, Western United, Crusaders, Juventus, North Shore, etc.. So move along, get a life and let the boys play...

If you feel my comments are riduculous, then you would have to label the similar comments of present and former Inter parents riduclous as well. Because my opinions are derived from conversations with involved parties.

You know that this is a very bitter rivalry with bad feelings. I've read the posts where you admit to being anti Bolts. Isn't this where your bad feelings for the Bolts originated?

MASoccer
07-27-2007, 02:13 PM
If you feel my comments are riduculous, then you would have to label the similar comments of present and former Inter parents riduclous as well. Because my opinions are derived from conversations with involved parties.

You know that this is a very bitter rivalry with bad feelings. I've read the posts where you admit to being anti Bolts. Isn't this where your bad feelings for the Bolts originated?

My opinions on the Bolts are based on my experience with my son and his interaction with the team and in particular with the former coach. Away from the club through ODP, he has made very good friends with a number of the players. He has also made some very close friendships with a number of the players on Inter. I do not impress my feelings on my son, he has his own viewpoint and I will always respect that. My son plays for another rival club (NEE) and I can honestly say, that there is many opinions regarding the Bolts, some good, some not so good. People are entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. The problem I have with your post is that you are labelling a team with one broad stroke, based on hearsay. You post without a username, you throw out an accusation, and then you claim it's factual based on what other parents have told you. Don't paint an entire team based on the few conversations you may, or may not have had. It's kind of pathetic actually. Find something else to do with your time, please... http://www.pic4ever.com/images/Just_Cuz_19.gif

and let's get back on topic...

07-27-2007, 02:28 PM

My opinions on the Bolts are based on my experience with my son and his interaction with the team and in particular with the former coach. Away from the club through ODP, he has made very good friends with a number of the players. He has also made some very close friendships with a number of the players on Inter. I do not impress my feelings on my son, he has his own viewpoint and I will always respect that. My son plays for another rival club (NEE) and I can honestly say, that there is many opinions regarding the Bolts, some good, some not so good. People are entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. The problem I have with your post is that you are labelling a team with one broad stroke, based on hearsay. You post without a username, you throw out an accusation, and then you claim it's factual based on what other parents have told you. Don't paint an entire team based on the few conversations you may, or may not have had. It's kind of pathetic actually. Find something else to do with your time, please... http://www.pic4ever.com/images/Just_Cuz_19.gif

and let's get back on topic...

I didn't overhear someone say it. It was told TO me. Very different.

Whatever. Some of your other posts regarding player movements have contained incorrect information as well. I guess it's just part of your schtick.

07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
[quote="Anonymous":7do3crkb]

And how long were those 2 players at Inter before leaving? That would be exactly a single spring season. They loved it that much, eh?[/quote:7do3crkb]

As a parent on the rising U16 Inter team I feel “qualifiedâ€￾ to respond to this post:

The Inter/Bolts rivalry has been your average healthy rivalry for the last couple of years. A similar rivalry exists between Inter/NEE. MA Soccer is right – the rivalries could have been much stronger had the boys not played ODP together. Since ODP, there are friendly handshakes and pats on the back following these match-ups.

To state that “it has been beaten into themâ€￾ sounds defensive. No one from the team went to the academy. Please don’t flatter yourself into thinking they didn’t make an educated decision. It seems Inter was not the only group of Div 1 boys to pass up the opportunity to join the academy, we are the norm, not the exception.

Although I don’t appreciate the “omnibus of liesâ€￾ you have told about my son’s team, in Bolts “speakâ€￾ getting bashed is a side-effect of success, so we’ll take it as a compliment.

07-27-2007, 09:25 PM
This (rising) U16 boys are a very interesting group. Many of them have played ODP together and the friendships developed through this are very strong. Even though they may play for different clubs, and there is no question a rivalry when they play each other with their clubs (whether it is the Eagles, Inter, or Bolts), the boys are still friends and they treat each other with a lot of respect.

Boys and parents will make their own decisions on one club vs. another, or the Academy vs. non-Academy; but at the end of the day I believe these boys will remain friends.

07-28-2007, 06:39 AM
[quote="Anonymous":asmn7f0y][quote="Anonymous":asmn7f0y]

And how long were those 2 players at Inter before leaving? That would be exactly a single spring season. They loved it that much, eh?[/quote:asmn7f0y]

As a parent on the rising U16 Inter team I feel “qualifiedâ€￾ to respond to this post:

The Inter/Bolts rivalry has been your average healthy rivalry for the last couple of years. A similar rivalry exists between Inter/NEE. MA Soccer is right – the rivalries could have been much stronger had the boys not played ODP together. Since ODP, there are friendly handshakes and pats on the back following these match-ups.

To state that “it has been beaten into themâ€￾ sounds defensive. No one from the team went to the academy. Please don’t flatter yourself into thinking they didn’t make an educated decision. It seems Inter was not the only group of Div 1 boys to pass up the opportunity to join the academy, we are the norm, not the exception.

Although I don’t appreciate the “omnibus of liesâ€￾ you have told about my son’s team, in Bolts “speakâ€￾ getting bashed is a side-effect of success, so we’ll take it as a compliment.[/quote:asmn7f0y]

Couldn't let this pass without a comment.......

My son played on this team previously. There was certainly something there between us & the Bolts. There was way more dislike and emotion for a game against the Bolts than there was for any others. There was always a lot of extra talk and focus when it came time to play them. May "beaten into them" is a bit strong a term, but there was definately an obesession there, and the fact that a group of players left Inter and went to the Bolts (to form a team that eventually won a national championship) might have contributed to this.

Whether boys choose to go to the Academy Bolts team or not says nothing about the quality of the Bolts or any other team. The playing situation that requires one to give up playing in state cups and ODP and spring sports is a radical change. And not everyone's cup of tea. We considered trying out, but it was too much to give up. Based on the emotion of the rivalry, it did feel a bit strange even considering trying out for them. Even after not being there for a couple of seasons.

07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I have followed or tried to follow (no intent to be sarcastic) the chats about Bolts and Academy. I am still a bit lost on it all. I have two sons one is playing Club now and am interested in finding out more about this. Does anyone have a brief paragraph or two that factually explains the Club vs Academy and anything relevant that we could use as we try to make some decisions on where to at least tryout (and this is future - next fall or winter training if applicable) as I know most clubs have their rosters full with a few exceptions. The other thing and maybe it's all wrapped up is trying to follow the chats about the Coach who left to go to Blazers. Now I thought this Club was no longer or at least a few teams. Does this mean that this club now has risen up again? And if so, where is the home base of the club?

Appreciate any explanations that can help sort it out a bit clearer or at least clearer to us who are kind of on the fringe and not completely understanding the whole makeup right now.

Thanks you.

keeper
07-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I have followed or tried to follow (no intent to be sarcastic) the chats about Bolts and Academy. I am still a bit lost on it all. I have two sons one is playing Club now and am interested in finding out more about this. Does anyone have a brief paragraph or two that factually explains the Club vs Academy and anything relevant that we could use as we try to make some decisions on where to at least tryout (and this is future - next fall or winter training if applicable) as I know most clubs have their rosters full with a few exceptions. The other thing and maybe it's all wrapped up is trying to follow the chats about the Coach who left to go to Blazers. Now I thought this Club was no longer or at least a few teams. Does this mean that this club now has risen up again? And if so, where is the home base of the club?

Appreciate any explanations that can help sort it out a bit clearer or at least clearer to us who are kind of on the fringe and not completely understanding the whole makeup right now.

Thanks you.

Why not talk with someone at the Club. This forum can sometimes be rather misleading and confusing. There are most likely a lot of issues still up in the air, so first hand information would be a much safer bet. Perhaps someone could help by posting the right contacts for you tp reach.

MASoccer
07-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Thanks you.

Why not talk with someone at the Club. This forum can sometimes be rather misleading and confusing. There are most likely a lot of issues still up in the air, so first hand information would be a much safer bet. Perhaps someone could help by posting the right contacts for you tp reach.

The Bolts Academy program is being run by Anthony Latronica, he can be reached by e-mail anthony@soccerspecific.com Other than the USSoccer press release I didn't find anything specific about the Bolts role in the Academy. There is, however, a bit of detail in one of the neighboring clubs at Oakwood who will also be hosting the academy. Their on-line info can be found at: http://oakwoodsoccer.com/pdf/FirstAnnouncement.pdf

As for Francis Okaroh (the former U17 Bolts coach), he has his own web site at: http://www.fokarohusa.com/home.htm or e-mail at francis@fokarohusa.com

It is my understanding that he has formed a new U16 team with a few of the former Bolts players and the remainder of the Juventus squad. It is not clear if they will be might try to access Juventus' MAPLE spot which could potentially be D1 with the Bolts not participating next year. (They were relegated to D2 after last spring). I believe, but am not sure, that this will be SSU Blazers team.

Also, alhough SSU Blazers have not fielded as many teams as in the past, it has had its share of success. One of those being Scott Caldwell who is now residing at Bradenton. Scotty was enticed by a number of other clubs but stayed with the Blazers until his residency placement.

Zap
07-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks you.

JAD,

There are several documents on the US Soccer web site that explain the intent of the program, the reasoning behind the requirements, and what the format will be. All documents and info are here: http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 57057.html (http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_557057.html)

To correct some misinformation:
The program is not "being run by" Anthony Latronica. He is coaching the teams involved. John Kerr will also be working with them.

Keeper's suggestion of getting in touch with someone at the club (either Latronica or Kerr) is good advice.

The best summary of the program is US Soccer's Academy Overview (http://images.ussoccer.com/Documents/cm ... erview.pdf (http://images.ussoccer.com/Documents/cms/ussf/USSoccer_Development_Academy_Overview.pdf)):
The Advantages
• Focus on superior everyday training
environment increases development of
player leading to more future opportunities
(college, professional, National Team).

• Increased connection of Elite players to U.S.
National Team program through enhanced
scouting by U.S. Soccer National Team
coaches.

• The U.S. U-16 National Team will participate
in the U-18 Academy League competition.

• Better scouting environment for College,
Professional and National Team coaches.

• Better coaching development platform –
each club receives two invitations to the U.S.
Soccer Development Academy Best
Practices seminars (U.S. Soccer pays for
room, board and participation fees).

• Better referee development platform – U.S.
Soccer assigns referees to Academy
matches.

• Direct connection to U.S. Soccer coaches for
best practice training and curriculum
recommendations and advances.

• Academy finals held annually at the Home
Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

• Players receive integrated oversight from
youth club coaches and U.S. Soccer
coaches, while training in their home
environment.

• Recruiting ability enhanced for Youth
National Teams, MLS and college coaches,
with players being provided an online profile
for coaches to access easily.

• U.S. Soccer maintained website devoted to
Development Academy.
The Structure (Overview)
Objective: The focus of the Academy is player
development. Academies will provide players
with the best possible opportunity to achieve
their utmost potential as elite soccer players.
Standards: Academy teams are required to train at least
three days per week and rest one day per
week during the Academy Season. Academy
teams will play between 30 - 38 games per
year.

Teams: Up to 80 of the top youth soccer clubs in the
U.S. will be selected to join the Program.
Selection: Clubs are invited to submit an Academy
Membership Application by August 1, 2007.
National Team coaches will review the
applications and select the clubs with the
best qualifications to become Development
Academies.

Age Groups: Academies will field one team in each of the
two Academy Age Groups: Under-16 and
Under-18. Each team will have a minimum
roster of 22 players. The age cutoff is based
on an August 1 birthday. The Academy
program is for boys only.
Format: Academy Clubs will be divided into regions
with approximately 15-20 Academies in each
region. Each team will play home and away
matches against the other teams in their
region during the 8-month season. The
winner of each region will participate in the
Academy Finals at the Home Depot Center
in Carson, Calif.

To maintain a focus on training, Development Academy teams
will not play in any other leagues, tournaments or State Cup
competitions. Additionally, players will only be allowed to
compete on their designated Academy team, with only two
exceptions: high school soccer and national team duty.

U.S. Soccer Development Academy Overview
Everyone agrees – the United States needs to improve as a soccer playing nation. Following a comprehensive review
of elite player development in the United States and around the world, U.S. Soccer has created the U.S. Soccer
Development Academy to improve the everyday environment for the elite youth player. Using the U-17 National Team
Residency program as a model of training and focus, clubs that are chosen to participate in the Academy program will
only compete in Academy programming, thus increasing the amount of time that can be spent training and improving
the quality of matches. National Team and National Staff coaches will be scouting the Academy matches and trainings
to ensure that players are seen in their natural playing environment. U.S. Soccer will also be assigning referees to
provide an opportunity for up-and-coming officials to participate in higher level matches. The Development Academy
League will start in the fall of 2007.

Academy Operation
U.S. Soccer will operate the Development Academy and integrate its National Teams, Referee, Coaching and
Communications resources. There is a $1 per player fee and a $25 per coach fee for registration and no team or
club registration fees associated with becoming a U.S. Soccer Development Academy member. A fully-refundable
operating bond of $2,500 is required. Participation will require significant travel on weekends, depending on a team’s
proximity to other Academies. Clubs are responsible for participation expenses such as travel, facility use fees,
coaching costs, equipment, apparel and other relevant costs.
Note that the $2500 fee mentioned above is a bond to be put up by clubs. Many who do not understand the program read this to be the cost for player participation. Those who like to criticize the Academy program knock the cost, but the Academy cost is not disimilar to what the normal club fees are.

Okaroh left to coach with his good friend Neil Roberts, who operates the South Shore United Blazers. Neil is also the head men's coach at BU, where Francis has just been named an assistant. Many anti-Bolts people like to paint his departure as a negative, but these people do not know Francis and his ambitions. It's certainly easy for outsiders to throw pot shots from afar.

If you want more in depth explanations, feel free to send me a PM.

Zap
07-28-2007, 02:52 PM
By the way, the MLS Youth Academy teams of Chivas USA, Colorado Rapids, and LA Galaxy have just been named to the Academy set up. That makes 44 clubs and 6 MLS Youth Academy teams participating in the first year of the program. So the set up is:

U.S. SOCCER DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY – STRUCTURE

Objective: The focus of the Academy is on player development and providing players with the best possible opportunity to develop to the highest level they are capable of achieving
Standards: A minimum requirement of three training sessions and one rest day per week
Selection: U.S. Soccer coaches will select qualified applicants on a rolling basis until Aug. 1
Age Groups: U-16 & U-18 teams (minimum roster of 22 players); providing opportunities for more than 2,000 players
Competition Format: Divided into conferences with each team playing between 30 and 38 home and away matches during an eight-month season. Each conference will be comprised of approximately 15-20 teams based on geographic proximity. The winner of each conference will play in the Academy Finals at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
Teams: Below is a complete list of the Development Academy’s 50 current clubs representing 22 states and the District of Columbia:

Alabama
Birmingham United SA

California
Arsenal SC
Chivas USA
De Anza Force SC
Irvine Strikers
L.A. Galaxy
Mustang FC
Nomads SC

Colorado
Colorado Rapids
Colorado Rush
Real Colorado

Connecticut
Oakwood SC

District of Columbia
DC United

Florida
Clearwater Chargers SC
IMG SA
Kendall Soccer Coalition
Schulz Academy

Georgia
Atlanta Fire United SA
AFC Lightning Soccer Club

Illinois
Chicago Fire Soccer PDA
Chicago Magic Soccer Club
Metro United Soccer Club
Sockers FC Chicago

Indiana
Carmel United Soccer Club

Maryland
Potomac Soccer

Massachusetts
FC Greater Boston Bolts

Michigan
Michigan Wolves
Vardar

Missouri
Scott Gallagher

New Hampshire
Seacoast United

New Jersey
PDA
New York Red Bulls

New York
B/W Gottschee
Empire United SA
FC Westchester
Met Oval

North Carolina
CASL
Greensboro Youth SC
North Meck SC

Ohio
Internationals SC
Ohio Elite SA

Oregon
FC Portland SA

Pennsylvania
FC DELCO
PA Classics

Virginia
Richmond Kickers SC
Richmond Strikers
VA Rush SC

Washington
Crossfire Premier SC
Washington Premier FC

Wisconsin
FC Milwaukee

MASoccer
07-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Note that the $2500 fee mentioned above is a bond to be put up by clubs. Many who do not understand the program read this to be the cost for player participation. Those who like to criticize the Academy program knock the cost, but the Academy cost is not disimilar to what the normal club fees are.

Zap, you've posted a number of times that the cost is not disimilar to normal club fees. what exactly is the cost? Also, what is the expected travel for the academy team. Apparently most of their games wll be centered in the northeast but will they also be expected to make trips out of the region? Will these travel expenses be included for the players or will this be an add on expense to the regular season club fees? These questions have been posted a number of times by myself and others. I have heard of many different estimated figures, but have not seen anything posted as to the actual costs expected for each player.

Zap
07-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Zap, you've posted a number of times that the cost is not disimilar to normal club fees. what exactly is the cost? Also, what is the expected travel for the academy team. Apparently most of their games wll be centered in the northeast but will they also be expected to make trips out of the region? Will these travel expenses be included for the players or will this be an add on expense to the regular season club fees? These questions have been posted a number of times by myself and others. I have heard of many different estimated figures, but have not seen anything posted as to the actual costs expected for each player.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the exact cost. I have only been told that the fees will be similar. It's no secret that the Bolts fees are high normally, so there likely wouldn't be a big difference. If you also factor in that kids that were formally in ODP will be saving the $1300 - $1500 approximate yearly ODP cost, then it balances out a bit more.

As for the travel, it looks like a lot. The US Soccer web site uses the word "extensive". It's a price to be paid for competitive games. But the teams are already traveling in Region 1 for Premier League play and tournaments, so again, it's not like there is going to be a huge change. Again, no trips all over the state on Sundays for League play, no trips to Amherst (or now Lancaster) for state cup play, no trips to Maine or Virginia for Regionals (should they win), so it balances out again.

I don't know yet if there'll be centrally located neutral sight games, which would ease the travel burden for all. But that idea makes some sense.

FXWLD 24/7
07-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Zap-

Unfortunately for you, you seem to be our only source of info regarding the Bolts Academy team. Thanks for hanging in there and sharing what you know.

I followed MA's link to Oakwood. As an outsider, it seems to make alot of sense to have 2 teams within each age group at U16 and U18. It wasn't quite clear but I'm guessing one will be an academy participant and the other will be more traditional competing in Region 1, State Cup and allowing the boys to participate in ODP. It appears Oakwood will have their cake and eat it too, in providing something for everyone.

Based on what you've shared in the past and other info, it sounds like the Bolts will be in MAPLE through U15, then USSF academy league for U16, Red Bull League U17 (and MAPLE?), and academy again for U18.

As successful as the Bolts have been in MAPLE, any idea why they did not select an academy model more similar to Oakwood? My thought is that it would have been easier to drop the second teams later if it wasn't working out versus trying to add them back later.

MASoccer
07-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Zap-

Unfortunately for you, you seem to be our only source of info regarding the Bolts Academy team. Thanks for hanging in there and sharing what you know.

I followed MA's link to Oakwood. As an outsider, it seems to make alot of sense to have 2 teams within each age group at U16 and U18. It wasn't quite clear but I'm guessing one will be an academy participant and the other will be more traditional competing in Region 1, State Cup and allowing the boys to participate in ODP. It appears Oakwood will have their cake and eat it too, in providing something for everyone.

Based on what you've shared in the past and other info, it sounds like the Bolts will be in MAPLE through U15, then USSF academy league for U16, Red Bull League U17 (and MAPLE?), and academy again for U18.

As successful as the Bolts have been in MAPLE, any idea why they did not select an academy model more similar to Oakwood? My thought is that it would have been easier to drop the second teams later if it wasn't working out versus trying to add them back later.

With the risk of speaking for Zap... treading carefully, here... I don't believe there are enough boys to go around. I can't say if the Bolts even considered that option (they may have), but other than the re-shuffling of the same top 5 teams or so, I can't really see the ability to form this secnd team unless it was already part of the club. Again solely my opinion, based on what I know of the age group.

07-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Zap-

I am a bit confused here. Where do you see that Oakwood has two teams for each age group?

FXWLD 24/7
07-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Zap-

With the risk of speaking for Zap... treading carefully, here... I don't believe there are enough boys to go around. I can't say if the Bolts even considered that option (they may have), but other than the re-shuffling of the same top 5 teams or so, I can't really see the ability to form this secnd team unless it was already part of the club. Again solely my opinion, based on what I know of the age group.

MA-

The mistake you could be making is assuming all the talent is in the top 5 Div 1 teams. You of all people should know what great talent there is in Div 2 (ie the addition this year of the only national player in the age group from a Div 2 team to NEE). In my opinion, the best players added to my son's team in recent years have come from Div 2.

8 Teams X 18 players X 3 Divisions = a pool of 432 players (this doesn't even include MPS players)

You don't think 10% would be available to play at this level?

FXWLD 24/7
07-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Zap-

I am a bit confused here. Where do you see that Oakwood has two teams for each age group?

Guest,

I followed the link and read "Oakwood will form 2 new teams for the upcoming seasonal year in the specified age groups of the program. There will be 2 teams this upcoming fall at U16 & U18." I read this as in addition to their existing U16 and U18 teams. But I just visited the website and the rosters have been posted. It does look like 1 team in each age group. Sorry, it seemed like a good business idea :oops: .

MASoccer
07-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Zap-

I looked at the Oakwood site, I didn't see more than one team listed there, but there are several rising U16 teams for Seacoast United. http://dev1.retrieve.com/susc/BookFrame.spr There also seems to be a mix of clubs involved with the Academy that have more than one team in that age group.

Scott Gallagher
Michigan Wolves
CASL
Crossfire Premier
Potomac Soccer Club
Vardar Soccer Club
Chicago Sockers
Atlanta Fire United
Greensboro Youth Soccer

Those are the ones that I could definately report had more than one team in the U16 Academy age group. There may be others.

MASoccer
07-28-2007, 07:01 PM
MA-

The mistake you could be making is assuming all the talent is in the top 5 Div 1 teams. You of all people should know what great talent there is in Div 2 (ie the addition this year of the only national player in the age group from a Div 2 team to NEE). In my opinion, the best players added to my son's team in recent years have come from Div 2.

8 Teams X 18 players X 3 Divisions = a pool of 432 players (this doesn't even include MPS players)

You don't think 10% would be available to play at this level?

Good point, certainly didn't mean to slight any of the other teams in MA. I was just looking for sheer numbers and was thinking of the teams that I know have the largest talent pool. There certainly are exceptional players on other teams outside of the top 5 in D1. Sorry about that.

FXWLD 24/7
07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Zap-

I looked at the Oakwood site, I didn't see more than one team listed there, but there are several rising U16 teams for Seacoast United. http://dev1.retrieve.com/susc/BookFrame.spr There also seems to be a mix of clubs involved with the Academy that have more than one team in that age group.

Scott Gallagher
Michigan Wolves
CASL
Crossfire Premier
Potomac Soccer Club
Vardar Soccer Club
Chicago Sockers
Atlanta Fire United
Greensboro Youth Soccer

Those are the ones that I could definately report had more than one team in the U16 Academy age group. There may be others.

Hey MA-

Thanks for helping me save a little face. I have learned to read a little more before I post. I'm such a rookie!

MASoccer
07-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey MA-

Thanks for helping me save a little face. I have learned to read a little more before I post. I'm such a rookie!

NP http://www.pic4ever.com/images/tooth.gif

Zap
07-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Zap-

I think history in MA has shown that most kids don't want to be part of a club's 2nd team in an age group. Seems players/parents would rather be part of someone elses 1st team, even if it were with a weaker club. There is a definate stigma attached to being on a "B" team. I think it was FSM who has been advocating a system where teams are formed from a club with many players in the same age group training together, and these players can move from team to team as coaches see fit. That would seem to be what the Academy system is getting to with a 22 roster minimum, and 18 player game maximum.

In MA, there are just too many clubs, with the talented players too spread out for one club to roster 22 kids on an Academy team, and another 16-18 on a competitive MAPLE/Region 1 Premier League team. That's a minimum of 38 kids, which I think is more kids than ODP rosters in age group (at U15 and older).

Yes, the current plan for the older Bolts teams is for the U16 & U18 to play in the Academy, and the U17 in the Red Bull National League.

JustForFun
07-29-2007, 08:37 AM
ZAP writes:

I think it was FSM who has been advocating a system where teams are formed from a club with many players in the same age group training together, and these players can move from team to team as coaches see fit.

Possibly boys and girls are getting mixed up. For the boys I think you are generally correct, but for the girls maybe not. The rising U15G Stars has three teams. This allows a lot more flexibility with the training. As it relates to the girls, FSM might be right. I know this thread is about boys and that is good to see, not trying to redirect it to the girls, only noting that FSM's comments are generally about the girls and for the Stars the munltiple team approach is working (or at least is in a trail period).

07-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Many thanks for the infor and links re: Academy and Blazers et al. I now have a place to begin. The only reason prior that I didn't approch the Clubs as I wasn't sure who the clubs were and who to speak to. This has been more than helpful. My questions surrunding Blazers was I thought they has primarily disbanded although I knew they were fielding some teams including the one for Caldwell and what a great story for him.

thanks to all --- this is the part of the fourm I truly enjoy--- being able to get enough info to go about and get more information. Thanks to all.

FXWLD 24/7
07-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Zap-

I think history in MA has shown that most kids don't want to be part of a club's 2nd team in an age group. Seems players/parents would rather be part of someone elses 1st team, even if it were with a weaker club. There is a definate stigma attached to being on a "B" team. I think it was FSM who has been advocating a system where teams are formed from a club with many players in the same age group training together, and these players can move from team to team as coaches see fit. That would seem to be what the Academy system is getting to with a 22 roster minimum, and 18 player game maximum.

In MA, there are just too many clubs, with the talented players too spread out for one club to roster 22 kids on an Academy team, and another 16-18 on a competitive MAPLE/Region 1 Premier League team. That's a minimum of 38 kids, which I think is more kids than ODP rosters in age group (at U15 and older).

Yes, the current plan for the older Bolts teams is for the U16 & U18 to play in the Academy, and the U17 in the Red Bull National League.

Thanks Zap!

Just to clarify I would not view two teams within the U16 and U18 age groups as "A" and "B", but rather two very different products: High quality soccer played within a national league or high quality soccer played within the traditional channels (Region 1 and ODP). From a business perspective it just seems like these top clubs could view the academy as an addition to their product line, not a replacement. IMO it would be less disruptive initially to the clubs.

Zap
07-29-2007, 09:54 AM
[quote="FXWLD 24/7":3q2utmpt]Zap-

Thanks Zap!

Just to clarify I would not view two teams within the U16 and U18 age groups as "A" and "B", but rather two very different products: High quality soccer played within a national league or high quality soccer played within the traditional channels (Region 1 and ODP). From a business perspective it just seems like these top clubs could view the academy as an addition to their product line, not a replacement. IMO it would be less disruptive initially to the clubs.[/quote:3q2utmpt]

In an ideal world, you are correct. But there are a couple of issues.

The Academy team will always be seen as the "A" team based on its level. It can't help it. And we know there are those that don't want the kid on the "B", "2nd", or whatever label it would be called. I don't agree with it, but it seems to be a cultural thing. It would be ideal, especially if the kids on the 2nd team could benefit from some of the same training priciples as set forth in the Academy. But the 2nd team would still be part of an environment that stresses winning - MAPLE, State Cups, Region 1, etc.

Second, you'd have to have the traditional Region 1 teams also having 2nd teams to maintain the viability of the Region 1 Premier League and Regional State Cup winners. There would be less of a reason for the 2nd team to undertake the travel required for competitive games against traditional powers like PDA, BW Gottschee, Oakwood & Seacoast.

I like the idea of it, but it's a massive cultural change that isn't going to happen overnight.

FSM
07-29-2007, 11:55 AM
ZAP writes:

I think it was FSM who has been advocating a system where teams are formed from a club with many players in the same age group training together, and these players can move from team to team as coaches see fit.

Possibly boys and girls are getting mixed up. For the boys I think you are generally correct, but for the girls maybe not. The rising U15G Stars has three teams. This allows a lot more flexibility with the training. As it relates to the girls, FSM might be right. I know this thread is about boys and that is good to see, not trying to redirect it to the girls, only noting that FSM's comments are generally about the girls and for the Stars the munltiple team approach is working (or at least is in a trail period).

I was speaking of boys teams and have often used the Chicago Sockers model as an example. I also think it would be effective for either gender; however, as Zap has indicated it is a cultural change that won't happen over night. I have always wondered; however, why the Bolts didn't take the opportunity to try something like this with Tracey Kerr's and Francis Okaroh's teams, particularly where FO was often dealing with schedule conflicts with his 2 boys teams. Would I be wrong to assume that those boys teams must have occasionally trained together? So why not the girls teams?

MASoccer
08-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Decided to move this discussion, since it was claimed as a hijack on the other thread.

The Boys U14 national camp has completed. Congratulations to Devin Devoy, Forest Sisk and Andrew Wheeler for being named to the Pool Teams the last day of camp:

Pool Match Lineups

1st Half

Blue Team
Goalkeeper: Fernando Pina
Defenders: Bennett Yort, Leonard Kusina, Marc Pelosi
Midfielders: Jesus Medina, Matthew Dunn, Alex Olofson, Alejandro Guido
Forwards: Bryan Celis, Ryan Masch, Tren Biswell

White Team
Goalkeeper: Augustin Vargas
Defenders: Todd Wharton, Cory Miller, Rob Mechamm, Andrew Chang
Midfielders: Steve Rodriguez, Ross Tetro, Mael Corboz,
Forwards: John Villantoy, Joseph Haberer, Forest Sisk
Andrew Wheeler-Ominu

2nd Half

Blue Team
Goalkeeper: Kendall McIntosh
Defenders: Alfred Edmonds, Josh Miller, Gabriel Lock
Midfielders: Eric Gonzalez, Gabriel Palermo, Atsouh Ayah, Oscar Ortega
Forwards: Nestor Jaramillo, Erick Sanchez, Raul Mendiola

White Team
Goalkeeper: Alex Bellows
Defenders: Jalen Robinson, Malcolm Harris, Jerome Cristobal
Midfielders: Kyle Bitterman, Emmanuel Chavez, Joel Salmeron, Victor Zamora
Forwards: Daniel Bedoya, Devin Devoy, Collin Martin

Another Texas player was listed as being noteworthy:

Special note from this match as 10-year old Emerson Hyndman, playing up 2 years, scored 2 first half goals, showing great determination and technique despite being maybe the smallest player in the pool. The Dallas-area product has some special ability when it comes to kicking a soccer ball with authority and direction.

Team 4 vs. Team 3

Team 3
Goalkeeper: Luke Rossi
Defenders: James Hickey, Alex Frankenfeld, Andrew Park
Midfielders: Derek Sanchez, DJ Johnson, Marlon Hairston, Brandon Jordi
Forwards: Daniel Gonzalez, Sylvestor Contreras, Emerson Hyndman
Subs: Ive Burnett, Ricky Jafif, Marcus Epps, Mark Santibenez, Preston Gayton, Ariel Lassiter

Team 4
Goalkeeper: Wade Hamilton
Defenders: Jose Reyna, Sagar Jamibursaria, Angel Velasquez
Midfielders: Alberto Diaz, Mikhail Dohous, Tanner Thompson, Aaron Safadi
Forwards: Jesus Rochin, Ruben Duran, Dean Gaboya
Subs: Hector Rivera, Diego Lopez, Derek Carver (GK), Anthony Riga, Christian Fechter, Brendan McSherry