Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concussion epidemic in youth soccer

Concussions in youth soccer has become an epidemic.

It seems like most concussions occur when two players collide after attempting to head the same ball.

Is there any way to take heading out of the game, even if only on the girls side?

Thoughts?

sure

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Concussions in youth soccer has become an epidemic.

It seems like most concussions occur when two players collide after attempting to head the same ball.

Is there any way to take heading out of the game, even if only on the girls side?

Thoughts?
    while you are at it, take tackling out of football, take jumping out of basketball as the large majority of injuries happen in those two sports when players do those things.

Comment

What was that helmet looking padded thing the goalie was wearing in the game last night?

Comment

What was that helmet looking padded thing the goalie was wearing in the game last night?
        [img]http://2.bp.************/-slMK9qXPNHk/Ttx1g-jU07I/AAAAAAAAIqg/NaZODDPziRc/s1600/%25C4%258Dech.jpg[/img]

Comment

[img]http://2.bp.************/-slMK9qXPNHk/Ttx1g-jU07I/AAAAAAAAIqg/NaZODDPziRc/s1600/%25C4%258Dech.jpg[/img]
          What the hell is that and why is he wearing it?

Comment

Everyone knows Cech if you watch soccer @ all

Petr Čech (Czech pronunciation: [ˈpɛtr̩ ˈtʃɛx] ( listen); born 20 May 1982) is a Czech footballer who plays for Chelsea and the Czech Republic as a goalkeeper. Čech previously played for Chmel Blšany, Sparta Prague, and Rennes. He was voted into the all-star team of Euro 2004 after helping his country reach the semi-finals.[3] Čech also received the individual award of Best Goalkeeper in the 2004–05, 2006–07 and 2007–08 seasons of the UEFA Champions League. In addition, he was named in the FIFPro and UEFA Champions League teams of the season in 2006.
            He currently holds the Premier League record for fewest appearances required to reach 100 clean sheets, having done so in 180 league appearances. He also holds a Czech professional league record of not conceding a goal in 903 competitive minutes. He also has a club record at his former team Sparta Prague, having gone 928 minutes unbeaten in all competitions in 2001–02, when his unbeaten run in Czech league competition was combined with his performances in the UEFA Champions League. During the 2004–05 season, Čech went 1,025 minutes without conceding a goal – a Premier League record, until it was surpassed by Edwin van der Sar of Manchester United on 27 January 2009. Čech also won the Golden Glove in both the 2004–05 and 2009–10 seasons.[4]

Comment

Petr Čech (Czech pronunciation: [ˈpɛtr̩ ˈtʃɛx] ( listen); born 20 May 1982) is a Czech footballer who plays for Chelsea and the Czech Republic as a goalkeeper. Čech previously played for Chmel Blšany, Sparta Prague, and Rennes. He was voted into the all-star team of Euro 2004 after helping his country reach the semi-finals.[3] Čech also received the individual award of Best Goalkeeper in the 2004–05, 2006–07 and 2007–08 seasons of the UEFA Champions League. In addition, he was named in the FIFPro and UEFA Champions League teams of the season in 2006.
              He currently holds the Premier League record for fewest appearances required to reach 100 clean sheets, having done so in 180 league appearances. He also holds a Czech professional league record of not conceding a goal in 903 competitive minutes. He also has a club record at his former team Sparta Prague, having gone 928 minutes unbeaten in all competitions in 2001–02, when his unbeaten run in Czech league competition was combined with his performances in the UEFA Champions League. During the 2004–05 season, Čech went 1,025 minutes without conceding a goal – a Premier League record, until it was surpassed by Edwin van der Sar of Manchester United on 27 January 2009. Čech also won the Golden Glove in both the 2004–05 and 2009–10 seasons.[4]

I'm sure the OP has some sort of $ driven angle here....

Comment

Petr Čech is basically the best keeper in the world and he almost died making a save. He wears that thing to protect himself b/c he had such a bad head injury in the past.

Comment

Geez. Don't you follow soccer?? He's one of the most famous keepers in the world (Chelsea in the EPL) and has been wearing that headgear ever since he suffered a skull fracture several years ago. I think it is the headgear that rugby players sometimes wear.

Comment

No money driven angle here

I'm sure the OP has some sort of $ driven angle here....
                    I don't have a $ driven angle. I'm just a concerned parent. Did you see the Brian Williams/20 Rock story recently that said Full 90 headgear is useless and gives athletes a false sense of security? The girl they profiled had at least 6 concussions (some while wearing the head band)and today can't read the back of the box the Full 90 comes in! She had to drop out of college and go home to live with her parents.

Comment

I don't have a $ driven angle. I'm just a concerned parent. Did you see the Brian Williams/20 Rock story recently that said Full 90 headgear is useless and gives athletes a false sense of security? The girl they profiled had at least 6 concussions (some while wearing the head band)and today can't read the back of the box the Full 90 comes in! She had to drop out of college and go home to live with her parents.
                      This is not news. This has been known for years in regards to head gear.

Some kids can head a ball a million timeswith not a single side effect and some just aren't made for it. Those are the kids that shouldn't be playing soccer. Probably less than 10% of all kids that play fall into this category. I played all the way through college and never suffered any head injuries from heading a ball.I did have 3 or 4 concussions from elbows, ground impact and head on head blows, but those were basically bad headaches for a few days and now those are described as concussions. If you go head on with someone or catch an elbow I doubt the head gear will make much difference but that is just my opinion.

Not much can or will be done and it's just part of the game

Comment

Doctors are making a killing...someone needs to get control of all of this..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X