Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFC Tryouts

CFC is definitely got a jump on tryouts for ECNL players. Tryouts were weekend of June 4/5th, with commitment letters expected signed and returned the following week, along with 3 post-dated checks for club fees ($2,500). Looking at Soccerplus' website, ECNL player tryouts are June 19/21 and July 2nd.

To top it off, if your kid plays for CFC and they change their mind mid-way through the year, that they'd rather play elsewhere, CFC won't release the player, until the entire fee is paid up. Wow, no wonder the club is doing so well. They're raking in the dough!

Before you knock the business practices of CFC perhaps you should check all the other clubs...

They all do the same thing!! Why wouldn't they...the player leaving took up a spot that may have gone to someone else, of course they should have to pay. I repeat EVERY club does this...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I repeat EVERY club does this...
      wrong

Comment

player leaving took up a spot that may have gone to someone else
        A spot that CFC will fill with another paying customer and thus have a windfall profit from the player leaving.

Comment

A spot that CFC will fill with another paying customer and thus have a windfall profit from the player leaving.
          It's always easy for those that don't run a club (which is 100% of the people in this forum) to say that a club should give a refund

Comment

It's always easy for those that don't run a club (which is 100% of the people in this forum) to say that a club should give a refund
            I don't think anyone would expect a refund, but if a player decided in fall, to go elsewhere, why should they have to pay the full year's fee, just to be able to transfer elsewhere?

I could see if the roster was small, but CFC has 20+ kids on each roster, so it's not like they'd suffer financially. Plus, I'm sure another player could be found to take that spot.

Comment

I don't think anyone would expect a refund, but if a player decided in fall, to go elsewhere, why should they have to pay the full year's fee, just to be able to transfer elsewhere?

I could see if the roster was small, but CFC has 20+ kids on each roster, so it's not like they'd suffer financially. Plus, I'm sure another player could be found to take that spot.
              If you are leaving for grass is greener type reasons I think you should pay the entire fee to get released. You make a decision, stick to it. Maybe your kid isn't getting playing time or doesn't like the coach and you want to leave but what if club x can't find a suitable replacement. now what?

Comment

To whoever said wrong, again do more research.

1. Most clubs have it in their paperwork that many don't read prior to signing.
                2. I know for a fact this is the normal practice for Ajax, FSA, CFC and Beachside

Before you make accusations get all the facts.

It's a common business practice in club soccer. Guess what, injured players who have season ending injuries usually don't get refunds either. Again, not just at CFC, but most large clubs.

The sooner everyone realizes that youth soccer is a business, the sooner we may all get along.

We are all in it to make money. As long as parents feel that little Mia and little David have a chance to get a full ride to Akron or UNC, there will be a club to feed that dream while they take your cash.

And while we are at it, for all you parents who defend this blog over soccer head or any other for that matter; GET A LIFE!

You all blame CJSA or SC or MK, etc...look in the mirror and see who the real culprits are and why youth soccer in CT is crap. You parents who are normally intelligent but then suddenly turn into idiots and start threads titled "least favorite coach" gee I wonder where that thread was going? Seriously who does that. Losers!!!

To stoop that low and to potentially ruin a persons family life along with their professional life because of rumors started by unhappy parents.
                What if we start a blog about CT soccer parents work life?

I'll start one:

Least liked Crappy Dentist

Hey I hate that dentist dr smith, he sucks, ruined my root canal.

Oh yeh he was screwing his secretary too.

Wait, dr smith, omg his daughter must play for CFC! I can't wait to tell his wife.

Comment

To whoever said wrong, again do more research.

1. Most clubs have it in their paperwork that many don't read prior to signing.
                  2. I know for a fact this is the normal practice for Ajax, FSA, CFC and Beachside

Before you make accusations get all the facts.

It's a common business practice in club soccer. Guess what, injured players who have season ending injuries usually don't get refunds either. Again, not just at CFC, but most large clubs.

The sooner everyone realizes that youth soccer is a business, the sooner we may all get along.

We are all in it to make money. As long as parents feel that little Mia and little David have a chance to get a full ride to Akron or UNC, there will be a club to feed that dream while they take your cash.

And while we are at it, for all you parents who defend this blog over soccer head or any other for that matter; GET A LIFE!

You all blame CJSA or SC or MK, etc...look in the mirror and see who the real culprits are and why youth soccer in CT is crap. You parents who are normally intelligent but then suddenly turn into idiots and start threads titled "least favorite coach" gee I wonder where that thread was going? Seriously who does that. Losers!!!

To stoop that low and to potentially ruin a persons family life along with their professional life because of rumors started by unhappy parents.
                  What if we start a blog about CT soccer parents work life?

I'll start one:

Least liked Crappy Dentist

Hey I hate that dentist dr smith, he sucks, ruined my root canal.

Oh yeh he was screwing his secretary too.

Wait, dr smith, omg his daughter must play for CFC! I can't wait to tell his wife.
                  I didn't start the post "Least Favorite Coaches," but as a parent who's kids have played soccer over the last 10 years, I can relate to the thread. I don't think anyone is out to ruin someone's life, but it's nice to have a place to vent about obnoxious coach behavior.

I still remember a coach bouncing soccer balls off my 10 year old daughter's head for half hour because she hated to head hard balls. This is the same coach who at practice, used her as an example of how to tackle and totally flipped her in the air. Yes, he deserves least favorite coach. I still regret not reporting him to CJSA for abusive behavior.

There's a thread here called "Worst parents." Stop being so sensitive and understand that this board allows people to vent. If you look at the Mass. board, they've been doing it for years (all without putting their names to the post).

Soccerplus has been a source of criticism the past 6 months, and no one has said anything. Yet, when CFC starts to get criticized, the coaches start coming out and accusing everyone of "dangerous behavior." No one is out to ruin your reputation, but to state what they feel about their club, coach, etc. It's called freedom of speech. Granted, we don't sign the posts, but I'm sure if we did, they won't be as honest. If you want signed posts, go to Soccerhead.

As for injured kids, if my kid had an ACL tear and was out for the year, I realize the business is not to refund the family anything. But morally, I would hope a club would say, "Geez, your kid didn't get a chance to get anything out of our club because he's injured, we feel the morally right thing to do is give you your money back (or at least a part of it.)"
                  But your posting says money trumps morals. You sound like the loser! Most businesses will refund a client money for unused services.

Youth soccer is crap because many of our coaches are too concerned about winning and not enough about player development. CFC practices are primarily scrimmages with no individual clinics offered for player development. However, you can book a CFC coach to give private lessons to your daughter. At CFC Hamden arena, why don't you try offering more clinics for the kids? But then again, the arena is always booked with adult men's soccer leagues, lacrosse, etc.

As for this thread over Soccerhead, sorry if that's touched a nerve SC. Soccerhead has being bland and boring and a vehicle for "look how great we are." Didn't Socerhead recently delete posts from a Gk parent who stated there wasn't enough GK practice throughout the year? I remember seeing a few posts before they were deleted, with a note for that parent to call their CFC Director. So the message I get from Soccerhead, is don't publicly say something we don't like, or we'll ignore you and take down your comments.

As mentioned, Soccerplus (or insert any other premier club)was the vehicle for parents criticisms a few months ago. I don't believe the Soccerplus coaches responded like the CFC coaches. They just let the thread run its course.

I like CFC and many of the coaches. However, in the past few years, it has become arrogant and more about the almighty dollar, than about the kids and their development.

Comment

CFC has been going downhill ever since Jerry left.

Comment

Let me clarify as that may have come across as defending CFC. I can care less about which club does what or who is better etc.

All I wanted to write about was how we all take pleasure in spreading whatever bit of information we have without ever verifying what is fact or false. And based on the rumors we attach it to a particular club.

Am I the only one who see's this as wrong? I hope not. You can spin it as a place to vent but again let's be serious here. Most of us are educated adults who have the best intentions but to take pleasure in slamming people or clubs to make ourselves feel better is crazy. Would you be ok with your child writing any of this? As they say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree"

We take pleasure in being nasty towards others when in fact we pretty much have no clue what goes on behind the closed doors of these clubs and their staff.

What ever happened to parents teaching their kids about committment or hard work? That's right, in todays world its better to run home, tell mom or dad that the coach sucks or the club sucks followed by letters and phone calls to club management then followed by "we are leaving for x club"

Remember the days when a teacher called home and spoke to you about your child not doing well. 20, 30 years ago you would get a good ol'fashion beat down, today the parent asks the teacher "why are you failing my child, followed by a letter asking for their dismissal"

Youth sports are no different. In our youth if you didn't play your dad said go outside and practice so you get better...
                      Today, let me get on soccer talk and kill the club so everyone will leave and we can go to a better team and perhaps you get more playing time.

Again, do we not see anything wrong with this?

I am no parent of the year but these aren't life lessons that I want to instill in my children. What happens when they don't like their boss? Will you blog about it so they can get everyone from the Post office to work for Fed Ex?

Last point as I'm rambling all over the place:

I don't want to hear that this is an avenue to write about abusive coaches so we spread the word. As was mentioned, if it was a bad experience why wouldn't you leave?
                      Because you were too caught up in the fact that you had to be at Club X that you were willing to allow your child to be verbally abused or thrown headers too for 30 minutes. I am in no way defending the actions and while I feel there is no place for any of this why aren't the parents being held more accountable? Why is it ok for them to turn the other way? Because they feel this is the best place for their child to be "seen" that's why!!

Isn't this the real tragedy here. Parents allowing this abuse because it will help their soccer careers if they put up with it.

Comment

Let me clarify as that may have come across as defending CFC. I can care less about which club does what or who is better etc.

All I wanted to write about was how we all take pleasure in spreading whatever bit of information we have without ever verifying what is fact or false. And based on the rumors we attach it to a particular club.

Am I the only one who see's this as wrong? I hope not. You can spin it as a place to vent but again let's be serious here. Most of us are educated adults who have the best intentions but to take pleasure in slamming people or clubs to make ourselves feel better is crazy. Would you be ok with your child writing any of this? As they say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree"

We take pleasure in being nasty towards others when in fact we pretty much have no clue what goes on behind the closed doors of these clubs and their staff.

What ever happened to parents teaching their kids about committment or hard work? That's right, in todays world its better to run home, tell mom or dad that the coach sucks or the club sucks followed by letters and phone calls to club management then followed by "we are leaving for x club"

Remember the days when a teacher called home and spoke to you about your child not doing well. 20, 30 years ago you would get a good ol'fashion beat down, today the parent asks the teacher "why are you failing my child, followed by a letter asking for their dismissal"

Youth sports are no different. In our youth if you didn't play your dad said go outside and practice so you get better...
                        Today, let me get on soccer talk and kill the club so everyone will leave and we can go to a better team and perhaps you get more playing time.

I am no parent of the year but these aren't life lessons that I want to instill in my children. What happens when they don't like their boss? Will you blog about it so they can get everyone from the Post office to work for Fed Ex?

Last point as I'm rambling all over the place :

I don't want to hear that this is an avenue to write about abusive coaches so we spread the word. As was mentioned, if it was a bad experience why wouldn't you leave?
                        Because you were too caught up in the fact that you had to be at Club X that you were willing to allow your child to be verbally abused or thrown headers too for 30 minutes. I am in no way defending the actions and while I feel there is no place for any of this why aren't the parents being held more accountable? Why is it ok for them to turn the other way? Because they feel this is the best place for their child to be "seen" that's why!!

Isn't this the real tragedy here. Parents allowing this abuse because it will help their soccer careers if they put up with it.
                        True that

Comment

Last point as I'm rambling all over the place:

What about the kids who sign up for CFC, being told at tryouts they can be impact players, then sit on the bench for most of the season because the coach plays his favorite 11 most of the time, to win. My daughter was extremely committed, came to all the practices, yet it still wasn't enough. I would have preferred the coaches to be honest in the beginning, to say at tryouts, we like your daughter, but she just isn't an impact player. We would have taken her to another club where she would have seen more time and action. So, yes, excuse me if I'm angry about what I thought was a 'bait and switch."

Some kids are naturals at sports and learning, but my kid has to work hard at it. They may be not be superstar, but it's certainly not from lack of effort. I'm proud of our kid's commitment to be the best they can be (and yes, that does mean kicking balls in the yard to get better).

It was my kid who had balls tossed at her head. It was our first coaching experience at town travel soccer. I agree, it was my fault. I should have known better and not just thought, this is a 'tough coach.' It is happened to my kid now, I would know to leave and report that behavior.

You must be self-employed as you are naive if you think you can complain about your bosses behavior, and not expect some type of corporate retailiation from him.

Most parents are posting their experiences about coaches and clubs. If you see it as spreading rumors, then you obviously are thin-skinned. Maybe some of these clubs need to look in the mirror, and realize that chasing the almighty dollar, has become the most important thing to them, rather than it being "about the kids."

Comment

What about the kids who sign up for CFC, being told at tryouts they can be impact players, then sit on the bench for most of the season because the coach plays his favorite 11 most of the time, to win. My daughter was extremely committed, came to all the practices, yet it still wasn't enough. I would have preferred the coaches to be honest in the beginning, to say at tryouts, we like your daughter, but she just isn't an impact player. We would have taken her to another club where she would have seen more time and action. So, yes, excuse me if I'm angry about what I thought was a 'bait and switch."
                            Good preparation for the college recruitment process? It's not like CFC invented this kind of behavior. More the rule than the exception. BTW, given how many branches CFC has and that they are all run pretty independently, how can anyone generalize about the behavior of CFC and its coaches? There is no central or common approach, philosophy, coaching personality or coaching ability.

Comment

CFC has been going downhill ever since Jerry left.
                              Jerry L? Wasn't he the old Comets guy? May have had a big impact on a part of the club, but I'm not sure he impacted the overall club much.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X