Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a team spring 08

this is my first post although i have been reading with interest the various threads.

My son is a U15 GK and got caught in a situation where he is left without a team for Spring 08. He has played BAYS, MAPLE and currently SuperY. His experience on his current team has been great-great coaching, good kids, etc., but the Super Y league is just not what we want, too much travel and every summer weekend. he tried out for 2 other MAPLE teams as well as his current team. My son had his hopes pinned on another club where at the tryouts was told that they were making some roster changes and they really were impressed with him. After hanging in for 3 weeks they decided to keep their current GK and his current coach, after not getting a committment from us, offered the position to another GK. although my son is upset, he understands that his coach couldn't take a chance on being left w/out a GK.
    I know that Touchline used to have areas devoted specifically to teams looking for players and players looking for teams. does anyone know of anything similar or of any ideas as to how to find any openings?

If you look at the very 1st thread on here entitled "sticky" that is where you can post if you're looking for a team or players. Also I'd start contacting clubs myself if I were you to see if anything is available. You can find these clubs on the maple or masc website. There may be nothing at this time but things can change during the fall and winter. Plus at that age sometimes clubs will take 2 keepers in case of injury so you may have to start as a back up and earn your playing time but it is an option. Also, ask your son's high school coach and friends.

Good luck
    Energy

Comment

Re: Looking for a team spring 08

Originally posted by GKMom
      this is my first post although i have been reading with interest the various threads.

My son is a U15 GK and got caught in a situation where he is left without a team for Spring 08. He has played BAYS, MAPLE and currently SuperY. His experience on his current team has been great-great coaching, good kids, etc., but the Super Y league is just not what we want, too much travel and every summer weekend. he tried out for 2 other MAPLE teams as well as his current team. My son had his hopes pinned on another club where at the tryouts was told that they were making some roster changes and they really were impressed with him. After hanging in for 3 weeks they decided to keep their current GK and his current coach, after not getting a committment from us, offered the position to another GK. although my son is upset, he understands that his coach couldn't take a chance on being left w/out a GK.
      I know that Touchline used to have areas devoted specifically to teams looking for players and players looking for teams. does anyone know of anything similar or of any ideas as to how to find any openings?
      Just a clarification is your son a current U15/ rising U16 or current U14/ rising U15?

Comment

current U14/rising U15

Comment

The MAPLE web site allows you to search for clubs within a radius of where you live. I know it takes a bit of time, but if you get a list of clubs in your area, and then send some e-mails, and/or make some calls, you should get some response.

The club search page is here: http://games.maplesoccer.com/locator.cfm

At least you have some time since there is no fall season.

Also, is he exclusively a GK, or does he play in the field as well?
          "If they hadn't scored, we would've won."
          -Howard Wilkinson

Comment

He has played the GK position exclusively for the past 2 years although his field skills have improved greatly over the past year. (thanks to the training from his current coach)

Comment

he tried out for 2 other MAPLE teams as well as his current team. My son had his hopes pinned on another club where at the tryouts was told that they were making some roster changes and they really were impressed with him. After hanging in for 3 weeks they decided to keep their current GK and his current coach, after not getting a committment from us, offered the position to another GK. although my son is upset, he understands that his coach couldn't take a chance on being left w/out a GK.
              I think this may be a blessing in disguise. A coach that can't give you a decision until 3 weeks after the tryouts is probably a coach you want to think very carefully about joining.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X