X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning

Another first hand lightning story from the coaching forum:

So I head out to my U14B practice on the West side of town last Thursday. There have been thunderstorms all afternoon, but at start time it's dry with a storm moving away from our field and no thunder. Many of the parents are waiting in case the weather turns foul again.

After 15 minutes or so, one of my players tells me "Hey Coach, look at Nathan". I turn round, and Nathan is standing there with a strange look on his face, his long hair is standing straight up.

I yell "Nathan, get on the ground DO IT NOW!!!!!". He drops, and tells me he can feel a tingle through his whole body. We got off the field in a big hurry. I shudder to think what might have happened if he had not gone to ground like that.

True story - I guess the moral is; don't rely on the sound of thunder to indicate danger from lightning.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Re: Lightning

Originally posted by FSM
    Another first hand lightning story from the coaching forum:

So I head out to my U14B practice on the West side of town last Thursday. There have been thunderstorms all afternoon, but at start time it's dry with a storm moving away from our field and no thunder. Many of the parents are waiting in case the weather turns foul again.

After 15 minutes or so, one of my players tells me "Hey Coach, look at Nathan". I turn round, and Nathan is standing there with a strange look on his face, his long hair is standing straight up.

I yell "Nathan, get on the ground DO IT NOW!!!!!". He drops, and tells me he can feel a tingle through his whole body. We got off the field in a big hurry. I shudder to think what might have happened if he had not gone to ground like that.

True story - I guess the moral is; don't rely on the sound of thunder to indicate danger from lightning.
    Two days ago, I was playing golf when lightning struck a fairway near the group in front of us. Blew the hair right off everyone's head. Police are still combing the area.

Comment

Guest wrote:

Police are still combing the area.
      A funny Guest - I like this guy/gal (whoever it is)

Comment

Anyone know if the handheld lightning detectors work as advertised? Are they worth having?

Comment

I have one. I'm not sure whether it does work as advertised, but it does seem to work. The reason I say I'm not sure relates to having it at last year's State Cups when it poured cats and dogs up in Amherst. It was indicating that there was lightning when there was no indication that there was either by sound or sight.
          Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
            Anyone know if the handheld lightning detectors work as advertised? Are they worth having?
            I didn't know there was such a thing. I thought you were joking. I had a vision of the guy in "Caddyshack" with his 9 iron over his in the storm. I guess that would be the more primitive version of a handheld lightning detector.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X