Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Mission

Just reading a thread in the coaching forum on club missions. Three of the regulars who post have indicated that their club mission is to develop players for high school teams. Here's an example:

Mission: The mission of theTiger Soccer Club is to prepare players to become quality high school soccer players. The emphasis is on developing tactical expertise in a competitive setting, while also working on the technical skills necessary to compete at the high school level. While the club is result-oriented, player development is the top priority.
    I find this very interesting and something that probably the majority of kids have in mind as their goal. I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of clubs in Massachusetts that have taken this as their mission and actually put it in writing. I'm thinking with all the changes going on (USSF development academy, etc.) and the high cost to play particularly at the highest levels of youth soccer, if this isn't a niche that more clubs should be promoting.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Re: Club Mission

Originally posted by FSM
    Just reading a thread in the coaching forum on club missions. Three of the regulars who post have indicated that their club mission is to develop players for high school teams. Here's an example:

Mission: The mission of theTiger Soccer Club is to prepare players to become quality high school soccer players. The emphasis is on developing tactical expertise in a competitive setting, while also working on the technical skills necessary to compete at the high school level. While the club is result-oriented, player development is the top priority.
    I find this very interesting and something that probably the majority of kids have in mind as their goal. I'm just wondering if anyone is aware of clubs in Massachusetts that have taken this as their mission and actually put it in writing. I'm thinking with all the changes going on (USSF development academy, etc.) and the high cost to play particularly at the highest levels of youth soccer, if this isn't a niche that more clubs should be promoting.
    With the generally low regard for HS soccer in these parts, it's not a surprise that more clubs don't promote it.

Comment

What these clubs have done is decided not to sell the college soccer dream. I don't think that can be done in Mass. at the premier club level. It might be what more town associations see as their mission.

Comment

The club/town/HS situation has been discussed ad nauseum on the old forum.

Depending on the town and the HS's, there is significant competition for spots on the various HS teams. At some schools there can be over 40 players trying out for the freshman team that has only 20 spots. Players who want to give themselves a better chance at making these teams tend to seek out club training to augment the town soccer experience.

Once in HS, the competition for a spot on the varsity can be fierce. In many schools there can be 30 or more players competing for 10 or fewer available spots.

Years ago, any club player would expect to have no problems making a HS team. Today with the proliferation of clubs, the improvement in town coaching, and the increased interest in soccer, even club players especially those playing on entry level club teams are at significant risk of not making a HS team. Club players get cut, see limited playing time, or play in radically different positions than they are accustomed.

Most players who want to play beyond HS, also need the HS experience. The HS season more closely resembles the college season than the club season, i.e. length of pre-season, practices 5 - 6 days per week, number of game and their periodicity. In many respects the college game is closer to the HS game than the club game.

Comment

Originally posted by MASC
          The club/town/HS situation has been discussed ad nauseum on the old forum.

Depending on the town and the HS's, there is significant competition for spots on the various HS teams. At some schools there can be over 40 players trying out for the freshman team that has only 20 spots. Players who want to give themselves a better chance at making these teams tend to seek out club training to augment the town soccer experience.

Once in HS, the competition for a spot on the varsity can be fierce. In many schools there can be 30 or more players competing for 10 or fewer available spots.

What happens to all these players that get cut ? Just wait for the Spring club season to resume ??? Seems flawed.

Comment

I mis-quoted MASC and added my questions to his quote

What happens to all these players that get cut ? JV for some, but not all. What about the freshman. Just wait for the Spring club season to resume ??? Seems flawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
              Originally posted by FSM

With the generally low regard for HS soccer in these parts, it's not a surprise that more clubs don't promote it.
              By these parts, you mean a few touchline posters and and a few club coaches?

Some of the best club coaches also coach HS.

It does vary from school to school, but there are a lot of talented players out there. You may not like to hear this, but I'd guess for most players, their HS team is a lot more important than their club.

Comment

Are there club opportunities in the Fall for freshman players that don't make the team ? If you don't make the JV team as a sophmore, what other soccer is there in the Fall ? If not, then players are forced to other sports, maybe never to return to soccer. The players that do make the teams as freshman and sophmores have a distinct advantage going forward over the ones that didn't. Lots of training and competition that the others that were cut will not receive. So, if you don't make it then, chances are pretty good you may never make it. If players stopped developing at 15 years old, this would be fine, but obviously this is not the case. It seems the current structure forces out, or at least hinders, players who may not have developed to their fullest potential by the age of 15. My kids are still pretty young, so maybe I'm naive. Please enlighten me forum.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM

It does vary from school to school, but there are a lot of talented players out there. You may not like to hear this, but I'd guess for most players, their HS team is a lot more important than their club.
                  By and large, the level of play at HS is not at the level of the best clubs. Yes, there are talented players playing for their high school teams. And yes, there are a few good HS teams (Concord-Carlisle, Acton Boxboro, etc), and yes, there are good leagues (ISL), but why would a club promote the fact that it is preparing players for a mostly mediocre playing environment?

Comment

Originally posted by FSM

By and large, the level of play at HS is not at the level of the best clubs. Yes, there are talented players playing for their high school teams. And yes, there are a few good HS teams (Concord-Carlisle, Acton Boxboro, etc), and yes, there are good leagues (ISL), but why would a club promote the fact that it is preparing players for a mostly mediocre playing environment?
                    Many of the larger D1 HS's have squads comprised almost entirely of past and present MAPLE players. Even at D3 you have large numbers. My D3 team had 5 MAPLE players and many of my opponents like Austin Prep had even more. Many of the HS coaches are also club coaches. There are a few neanderthal HS coaches (the ex-marine phys ed teacher types) still left but their numbers are dwindling as the number of club players and coaches grew steadily beginning 5 or 6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM

stuf cut
                      your post assumes that MAPLE is NOT a 'mostly mediocre' playing environment. That would have been true 10 years ago. Today mediocrity rules.

interested.

Comment

Club soccer in MA is focused primarily on the state cup and the nation's cup. Since very few teams win state cup or even win into the round robin (in the HS ages less than 1/3 of teams in MAPLE ever win into the round robins - given the other leagues, i.e. Region I, Sub-regional, MASC, etc. that win into the round-robin - there are even fewer spots) clubs need to provide other value add than that single competition that for the majority of teams entering is one game and out.

The state cup is interesting but for general college admission does not carry the weight of HS sport participation and HS recognition. It falls outside as a non-scholastic activity.

Given its relative lack of importance in terms of general admission to college, it makes sense for parents and players to put their energies into excelling in the scholastic sports environment. If club participation can help them in the endeavor then it can be viewed as a worthwhile investment.

PLEASE NOTE: This does mean that collegiate soccer coaches don't understand the importance of success in the club arena, but general admissions officers are not similarly impressed. The club sport participation is unverifiable, the scholastic sports achievements are on the student's transcript and thus easily verifiable on one of the primary differentiating documents.

Comment

Originally posted by interested
                          Originally posted by FSM

stuf cut
                          your post assumes that MAPLE is NOT a 'mostly mediocre' playing environment. That would have been true 10 years ago. Today mediocrity rules.

interested.
                          Mediocre? I disagree - maybe you are looking for it to be something it was never intended to be. If you approach it with the assumption that every kid who starts at U6 should aspire to be a top D1 college player and make the national pool then I can see where soccer in Mass is falling short. My daughter never played ODP, or even tried out for a D1 Maple team. She was a good but not great player. She met her goal of playing in college. Now she is done due to injuries. By many parents definitions and probably Interesteds definition she had a mediocre career. The reality is that most kids play soccer for reasons other than that. The problems occur when the kids are playing for different reasons than the parents think they are or want them to be. I was always careful to not let my ambitions for what type of player my daughter could be get ahead of her ambitions. She could have worked a little harder by going to more camps and by not playing HS basketball and soccer but these were here choices. She went further than 95% of all other soccer players and met her goals. Her goals and not MY GOALS............... I think some people view the whole competitive weaning process as something by which the interests of the top players (the .1%) can only be accomplished at the expense of the other 99.9%. There is room for kids who want to be the next Abby Wambaugh as well as something short of that. I know that there are parents who view their kids as failures if they fall short of 1400 on their SAT's (yes I know those numbers are archaic....) or don't get into an Ivy League school or that don't make the Stars roster by U16. I thank god that I never got caught up in that kind of ratrace.

Finally look at where youth soccer is compared to 20 years ago and convince me that the overall product is mediocre. Nothing could be further from the truth. The U11 boys team I watched last week could probably beat the HS team that I played on and we were pretty good for our time.

Comment

Are there club opportunities in the Fall for freshman players that don't make the team ? If you don't make the JV team as a sophmore, what other soccer is there in the Fall ? If not, then players are forced to other sports, maybe never to return to soccer. The players that do make the teams as freshman and sophmores have a distinct advantage going forward over the ones that didn't. Lots of training and competition that the others that were cut will not receive. So, if you don't make it then, chances are pretty good you may never make it. If players stopped developing at 15 years old, this would be fine, but obviously this is not the case. It seems the current structure forces out, or at least hinders, players who may not have developed to their fullest potential by the age of 15. My kids are still pretty young, so maybe I'm naive. Please enlighten me forum.
                            Those are questions I have been asking for years. There are so many kids playing soccer in this state that, for one reason or another, won't be playing soccer for their high schools this fall. Why doesn't anyone in this state care about those kids or the sport that will be abandonned as a result?

Because clubs are becoming more bussinesslike and looking for a niche to operate their business. Certainly to take that approach could be a less expensive option for many players and the reality is most kids want to play high school soccer. Consider the fact that the new academy system will not allow players to play ODP and State Cups, but WILL allow them to play high school soccer. That's indicative of the importance of high school soccer to many kids. At the same time, I think you are eventually going to find the top players are going to be asked to forego HS soccer, so this is going to open up the HS teams to a different type of player. Why wouldn't a club want to provide for that group of kids?

In retrospect, whomever said it wouldn't work in Mass. might be correct. It works in other parts of the country because their youth soccer structure is a lot different then ours. Then again, I was recently reading Liverpool Coach's description of what his club is doing and it sounds like this type of mission statement would work perfectly in his club. That's not to suggest that there is anything mediocre about his club, but I think it does suggest that they are aware there are kids out there looking for something other than what the majority of clubs currently think is their mission. They've taken that idea and honed it further to create a club that sounds very player and family friendly.

Interested, why do you make that comment that MAPLE wasn't mediocre 10 year ago or do I misunderstand what you are saying?
                            Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM
                              Those are questions I have been asking for years. There are so many kids playing soccer in this state that, for one reason or another, won't be playing soccer for their high schools this fall. Why doesn't anyone in this state care about those kids or the sport that will be abandonned as a result?

Because clubs are becoming more bussinesslike and looking for a niche to operate their business. Certainly to take that approach could be a less expensive option for many players and the reality is most kids want to play high school soccer. Consider the fact that the new academy system will not allow players to play ODP and State Cups, but WILL allow them to play high school soccer. That's indicative of the importance of high school soccer to many kids. At the same time, I think you are eventually going to find the top players are going to be asked to forego HS soccer, so this is going to open up the HS teams to a different type of player. Why wouldn't a club want to provide for that group of kids?

In retrospect, whomever said it wouldn't work in Mass. might be correct. It works in other parts of the country because their youth soccer structure is a lot different then ours. Then again, I was recently reading Liverpool Coach's description of what his club is doing and it sounds like this type of mission statement would work perfectly in his club. That's not to suggest that there is anything mediocre about his club, but I think it does suggest that they are aware there are kids out there looking for something other than what the majority of clubs currently think is their mission. They've taken that idea and honed it further to create a club that sounds very player and family friendly.

Interested, why do you make that comment that MAPLE wasn't mediocre 10 year ago or do I misunderstand what you are saying?
                              Are there really that many not able to play HS that want to? I don't know that for sure. Some of the larger schools have over 100 players at tryouts. Fenwick in the past had 2 Freshman teams. So out of those 120 about 80 were rostered. Would those 40 who were not rostered be interested in playing outside of HS. Most would not I venture. I had two transfers at Savio from Fenwick and a few from Fontbonne who did not make the Varsity roster but that made mine. They would not have played if they had not transferred. Others are non soccer players who try out because they want to get involved in extra curricular. I always had a handful of these types of kids who dropped out 30 minutes into the first practice. That was the only time I had kids run laps during the year. I did that to quickly wean out anyone who couldn't hack it physically. I suspect that there are also some club players who come in and don't realize that some schools will not put Freshman and Sophs onto varsity no matter how good they are and that would not displace an incumbent senior. I think if there were a market for these player and the possibility of a fall league that it would have happened by now. I think the vast majority of players that are true soccer players find a slot on one team or another.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X